PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys - thanks! I was finally able to take the strips off for good yesterday and was happy with what's there. I haven't put anything on it since it was still covered but it really doesn't need it, I don't think. I want SOME kind of evidence of what I went thru!

Knee is doing fantastic - I went to yoga 3 times this week and plan to go tomorrow, if possible. This would have been a steller week but I ended up getting all of the complications and then some from the antibiotics - crazy rash, problems breathing and the main warning...yuck. Thankfully the last dose was yesterday so within a short window I am sure all will be well.

I have PT this afternoon - very interesting to see how the ROM is - I have done none of his exercises this week - yoga, walking and biking - it FEELS great but I'm not sure if it's bending any more than last week. Hope so!
 
Hi Karen - PT was good, managed 115 on my own so I'm well on my way...lots of tightness in the quad and lots of swelling there too so it's still got a ways to go. These "side effects" are really doing a number on me though so at this point that's got a lot more of my attention than my knee! Ah well, this, too, shall pass.
 
115 is great! Relax and have a fun weekend.
I'm going to Irish fest tomorrow. Should be fun!
I'll be on my feet and walking alot, so it will be a good test for the new knee.
There will be plenty of seating there if I need to rest.
Karen
 
Enjoy your festival Karen! We have a huge music and film festival in Austin that started yesterday - basically that means the locals only go outside during the day :)

Hi Brenda - thanks! You'll be here in just a blink - just take those meds and let your body heal :chillpill:
 
@TexasTee Im reading all your posts about yoga and I'm so encouraged! Ive been practicing yoga (pre BTKR) for 4 years and I have been back to 2 classes post surgery, one was good, one very bad, lots of kneeling poses...so I have been quite discouraged! I am able to do the chair pose pretty easily, as well as all the warrior poses but forget about child's pose! My rom is (L)125 and (R)115 so for yoga my knees just won't bend that far! But so happy to hear you are doing it! Light at the end of the tunnel for us yogis!
 
Hi @katiejarr - so nice to see a fellow yogi!!! I'm very lucky in that the yoga I'm most fond of is a variation on Bikram - we have different classes but all of them follow a set format of poses so there is no guessing what is coming, super helpful. I've been doing the kneeling (thankfully there is only one upright on the knee) last week was - never painful but weird and wrong feeling, this morning it felt MUCH better. I have a long way to go to get back to the flex I had pre-op but today I was really positive, for the first time, that I WILL get there. Even childs pose (course, my bum might be a bit higher than most) :heehee: All that matters is that we do the best we can and we will get there, promise!
 
@TexasTee thanks for the words of encouragement! I will keep at it! I know what you mean about child's pose, I tried it and yes my bum was also up in the air :rofsign:, It was hysterical! I didn't feel comfortable doing it in class in front of everyone...maybe I just need to get over how I look and just practice :yes!:.
 
@katiejarr - definitely do it and no worries, no one will notice since, hello! they are all face down, too :) Plus - it is just that, practice, not just perfect yogi's showing off. I'm so encouraged when I see others do something I know is hard for them, it's our turn to be the one working thru the hard stuff. I'm amazed at how well my knee can do - of the 26 poses only 2 are just not happening now, and some of them look darn good! Including one leg stuff that I expected to take months to do again. And look at you! Two new knees and rocking warrior? That's fantastic, well done.

Hi Ann - thank you! Yes, I've definitely been blessed with a very easy recovery, even the few bumps were simple fixes. Knowing all I know of many friends who have had a much rougher time I definitely am thankful!
 
Well done both of you - getting back to yoga so soon after TKRs. I haven't tried yet, I'm sticking to my Pilates for the time being, but I am convinced that doing all these exercises before each surgery has really helped with my recovery, both times. If there was one thing I would recommend that others do to prepare for these procedures is to exercise right up to the surgery date.
 
I'm amazed at how well my knee can do - of the 26 poses only 2 are just not happening now, and some of them look darn good! Including one leg stuff that I expected to take months to do again.
That is awesome!!!!! And those one legged poses are hard to do!!!!!!!!!! :dancy:

Im feeling very encouraged! You are doing so well!!!!!!!! Yoga after any knee replacement is no easy feat!!!!! Keep up the great job!!!!!!!
 
I did pool classes pre surgery and I think any excerise helps. I am 8 full weeks post op and am back in class since last week. Texas T you are doing fabulos. Have you tried shopping again? I went for 4 hours with out sitting down and had to come home and take a Vicodin. How are you with your meds?
 
Wow, super jealous of your scar, it looks great!! Mine is still all red & purple - it fades a bit, but when it warms up, I guess all the blood rushes in and it looks so dark! It's especially weird in the shower, it turns the color of raisins! I think I took my steri-strips off too soon, as my scar is a lot wider in certain spots when I was trying to bend. I left them on until around week 4 and then got impatient. Stupid me!!!
 
LOL Janmont - have I tried shopping...:bigfish: just a wee bit! I might have a shopping issue, just possibly. But I go all the time so it's generally not for too terribly long - a couple hours at a time usually. Luckily I'm very picky and i also have a rule about getting rid of something if I buy something new. Doesn't always work one for one but I stay close. Trying to figure out now which shoes I'll be able to wear all day so I can figure out back to work outfits...undoubtedly there is more shopping in my future!

Med's wise I quit taking vicodin last week - I am still taking celebrix for swelling, those are gone tomorrow so we'll see if that has any effect. I can take other NSAIDs just fine though so I'm not too worried about it. I have tramadol and I take those if I'm too achy. I suppose I could take OTC stuff but not too many things play well with celebrix so for now it's working and I feel a ton better off of the heavy stuff.

Hi @lunula great to see you! If I had my way I would have taken the strips off then too and it would probably have been too early, my OS is a stickler for leaving them on but I can't argue the results. I totally know what you mean about the colors though - I go to hot yoga, so it's about 100ish degrees, after 30 minutes of doing standing stuff we do 20 minutes of stuff on the floor. The first day back I go to lie down on the floor and realize my knee to about 8 inches down my calf are no kidding purple/black - but didn't hurt in the least! As I cooled down the color went totally back to normal, totally weird. I asked my PT about it but he'd never heard of it but said if it didn't hurt it was ok.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom