PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's an interesting article in the library about the post-op numbness.
Josephine has recently posted an update, to say that after 5 years the numbness following her first knee replacement has finally gone.
Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?

Three plus years after surgery, the numb area in my right knee seems to be decreasing. Even the numb area seems to now have some sensitivity, so it is less numb.
 
The human body is amazing, isn't it? As much as 5 years later, that's great! It was a bit weird to have so much numb but I see I'm far from the only one... @kaydubs - if you want to come and try your luck, I'm happy to buy you some migas and a mimosa :martini:

@Blendab1 - it was definitely the nerves waking up after surgery, they just picked a funny time to do it! Not sure if it has anything to do with it but it was the single longest time I have not been attached to my ice machine or an ice pack, who knows? It's fine now though, it was just startling to have a new, unfamiliar pain at this stage.

Just had, by far, the best workout since surgery. I combined my required PT with judicious yoga poses and upper body weights (while seated) and i was a sneeze away from doing a backward revolution on my trainer. I was at the very top but just didn't quite make it over today, soon!! Extension was 0 for sure and flex was definitely more than 90, feeling fabulous as I ice and elevate in front of the fire.

The weather is the only bummer, cold snap came thru so our 70s are 50s for a few days but since that's not 5 feet of snow, I'll go ahead and hush on that topic :snow dig:
 
Yikes on the heat and swelling, but if it hasn't reoccurred, it's probably fine. It was probably just coincidence that the knee woke up during brunch.

I found the first three weeks incredibly easy, if boring. Now I'm having a lot of trouble sleeping, just staying comfortable. It's now pain, exactly, though it can hurt; it's just all these strange sensations. Moving around helps but doesn't solve it.
 
Hi Barbara - I've noticed that I'm not as tired as I was before - the first 2 weeks I took at least one good nap a day but yesterday I didn't at all and while I'm sleeping ok at night, I'm not as tired when I go. I'm guessing the knee isn't taking as much out of us now? or maybe its the lessening of the drugs? At any rate - I'm more than ready (at least my head is!) to get back to a much more active life. Doing my best to use common sense and not do anything stupid.

I did venture out on a short errand yesterday and it felt amazing to be able to have even that much independence. I live quite close - under 3 miles - from both my grocery store and Target so yesterday I went to the grocery and today I'm heading to Target. Not for endless shopping - just to go and get a few specific things then come home but it still feels like a victory.
 
I did venture out on a short errand yesterday and it felt amazing to be able to have even that much independence. I live quite close - under 3 miles - from both my grocery store and Target so yesterday I went to the grocery and today I'm heading to Target. Not for endless shopping - just to go and get a few specific things then come home but it still feels like a victory.
That is what it is all about---these little ventures and trips to the outside world are indeed victories---savor them---soon, they will be nice, long trips and life will all be back to normal.

As always, you are wise to be careful not to over do things , as you are still early, but it does feel great to be "out and about"!
 
Teresa, you did have a PKR, not a TKR, didn't you? I've just noticed that the prefix to your thread says TKR. If you had a PKR, I can ask to get that prefix changed.
 
Hi @Celle - yes, I did - I managed to remove the TKR header once but couldn't replace it right after surgery but it ended up coming back. If you can fix it, please do!
 
Glad to know your PKR is coming along well and I was interested to read about your numb area. Mine appears to have got a bit smaller but at 12 weeks I still get odd tingly pains there. I also had a bit of a setback last week when I did too much but three days rest seems to have stopped the new pain I was getting in the back of my knee. I'm really pleased with the progress I've made so far and was very surprised last week when my knee obviously thought I was overdoing things! I began to think I might have moved something but all is well. :heehee:
The sense of independence is great, isn't it? Best of luck with your recovery. You are doing brilliantly!
 
Hi SuperSnapper - thanks for stopping by! I've followed your progress also - you have done fantastic, congrats. Sorry about the mini detour - glad that a short rest has gotten you back on track. Yes, the independence of being able to do some small things for myself is awesome!!
 
Hi Teresa,
Tim (referee54) has changed the prefix to your thread.
 
Just reporting in...Teresa my numb lateral right knee space yawned today...couple of funny pains where I have not had any pain....perhaps Shirley is some kind of sleeping beauty
 
Hi Maggie - interesting - I wonder if three weeks is some kind of universal signal for your nerves to stop freaking out :-)
 
Hi Teresa,
I just had to stop in and tell you about my PT yesteray. She had me do heel slides three different ways: Laying on the table and using a strap to slide and then hold, laying on the table, putting foot on a large exercise ball and rolling it back and holding, and then laying on the table and sliding my foot up and down the wall.
This was in addition to rocking the pedals on the bike, quad sets, and a few others.
She always does massage and ends with ice.
I came home and took an hour long whirlpool bath. I feel fine today, so I guess my knee is at a point where it can handle a good work out.
It sounds like you're doing great. It is nice going out on those short trips.
Take Care,
Karen
 
Sounds great @kaw205! I've tried the laying down with the strap (hate it!) and using a smaller ball (better!) but not the wall, I'll give that one a go tomorrow. I desperately want the dumb thing to bend :-) Did she measure your ROM? Mine didn't last time...I have a love/hate relationship to those numbers :flabber:

The whirlpool bath sounds amazing - enjoy the heck out of that!!
 
Hi Josh - totally agree - I am still at the rocking stage of things but am very hopeful that one day soon I'll actually be able to make it all the way around and start building back up to some real cardio!

Sun is back and the temp is reasonable so I will be able to walk outdoors for the first time this week - yeah :egypdance:
 
When you do the heel slides on the wall, you have gravity on your side. Probably the one I find easiest.
Good luck with the bike. Try and make it around backwards first, but don't push it too far too fast.
I was able to sleep 9 hours last night without pain meds. Big breakthrough!
She measured my flex at 107 last time. She is obsessed with the numbers and I, like you, just want the darn thing to bend!
Have a nice walk. I think I will venture out too. I was thinking about using the rollator walker so I can take nice long strides.
Have a great day!
Karen
 
Hi Karen - I am working on backwards on the bike, going frontwards, I'm not even CLOSE - by the time I finish my PT session I can rock backwards to the apex before it stops...I am tempted to push it over but I'd rather it just did it naturally - once more, patience!! Will try the heel slides on the wall first and see if that doesn't loosen things up, it can't hurt.

Enjoy your walk, too! I just had a regular guy walker that got put away the first week...my dogs had no respect and would NOT move out of the way to let me thru so switched to more maneuverable crutches. I'm using one crutch on the walks - even though it is painfully slow, the strides are my normal gait - I think that's key to getting back to normal, someday!
 
Teresa I think you will find if you can get to the apex you can grind it around..once you are around once for some magical reason it always seemed like I had a WD40 injection....even if you kind of lift yourself up and stretch back it gets easier with each revolution

Vinny
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom