PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Krispy Kreme Bread Doughnut Bread Pudding?:wowspring::wowspring:YUM!!!!!!!!!!
 
Krispy cream doughnut bread pudding is the bomb, so yummy. What type of excerises are you going to do with the soccer ball? I have been doing a few with the ball in one of the knee replacement books I bought.
 
Envy you that sleep! I sleep a lot, but not all night. Wish!

Interesting that you gave up gluten as a way to minimize inflammation. I tried many things but not that. Do you think it helped?
 
Hi Vinny and janmont - thanks, yes, the bread pudding was a hit, I hadn't known just how much my husband loved bread pudding before we went on the last trip to Mexico - he had it everyday! I had never made this for him before but have now promised to make it every year :-)

Hi @Awriterafoot - I'm not sure that it was gluten specifically - I went from a pretty standard american diet to no grains/no sugar or simple carbs at all 3 years ago. I lost 30lbs and kept it off and if I accidentally had flour or sugar I did have remarkable swelling. So - I'm not sure if it was the lower weight or a reduction in the chronic inflammation cycle that did it but I was heading to do the replacement at the end of 2011 and made it 3+ more years with the change so I do know it helped, I'm just not sure if it was due to the gluten or the weight that came off with it!

Had a great Valentine's day with my husband - ran errands, went to lunch, grocery shopping and then came back home for ice and elevation - no problem. Today I'm going to Brunch with some girlfriends that I haven't seen since the surgery - really nice that I'm getting to put a toe here and there back in the water of real life! I can't believe how good my knee feels one day shy of 3 weeks, I have been extraordinarily lucky.

So far still taking 1 perc every 6 hours - I think I might try doing every other dose at half for a day or so and see how that does, I really would like to get off the narcs for good...they are still wreaking havoc with my digestion!
 
Life sounds good Teresa. 1 perc every 6 hours = 4 per day.....try going 1 every 8hours (=3 per day). May be better.... Just a thought....but I don't know what the half life is for this one.
 
I'm still on 1 perc every 4 hours. I tried stretching it out, but no luck.
Great that you've been getting out. Does a world of good, doesn't it?
 
Hi Maggie - life is good! Will be holding off a bit longer on any further reduction on meds - I was taking 2 or 3 tramadol a day along with the 4 perc and so stopped those first and there has been a marked uptick in pain so I'm sticking here longer. Will have to keep up with the digestive aids a wee bit longer, it's not worth being in pain to get my guts in working order when there is a work around for both :-)

I can't recall the timeline when we're supposed to get pissy and over being in recovery but for me it's definitely 3 weeks!
 
Hi Karen - simultaneous post! Seems that the 6 hours only happens with the assistance of tramadol in the middle - I hadn't really thought tramadol was doing much but clearly that was not true.

But yes, getting out and about and realizing there is a still a real life to get back to is very encouraging!
 
My doctor had me on gabapentin for the first 20 days and I didn't realize how much it was helping until my rx ran out. Will try and get more tomorrow.
PT in the morning. Better get to bed!
 
I think 3 weeks was where I hit my wall mentally. I think it's definitely when u feel good and start being a little more adventurous, and then your body smacks you with reality. Haha. You really ARE doing great, listening to your body and adapting to what it needs. I'm glad you enjoyed your Valentine's Day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Interesting turn of events - I had a great brunch with my friends yesterday - we were there for 2 hours so I was expecting some repercussions from the knee but figured it was worth the trade off of having a great time. I had not thought we'd be there so long so didn't think to grab an ice bag but I was able to put my leg up on a chair so I was doing pretty well.

Even though it was a cool day, I felt overly warm for most of the time but put that down to the restaurant even though no one said anything about it. Nearing the end of brunch my knee felt incredibly hot so I lifted the hem of the floor length dress I was wearing and looked at it and it was both huge and really rosy red. It really didn't hurt, per say, but clearly the swelling wasn't good so I said I needed to get back to my ice machine and we all headed out. Standing up it did hurt - so hard to describe pain, isn't it? It hurt but I'd say like a 4+ not crazy but it hurt in a very different way, I was very aware of specific pain rather than the dull ache or shooting pains I was used too.

Went home and iced and continued to feel this new pain all night, regardless of ice or percocet - I didn't up the med dose since it really wasn't that bad - with ice is was a 2/3 on my normal dose. Went to bed early and kept up with the ice all night. Felt better this AM but still had the new pain feeling and just now noticed that all of the area in my knee that has been numb since surgery is nearly all back to life. There is a circle just off the medial side of my knee cap about the size of a golf ball that is still numb but before now it was an area from 3 inches above to below my knee nearly 75/80% still numb or partly numb.

No idea why it would spontaneously come back online like that but apparently that numbness was keeping me from noticing a whole level of pain - undoubtedly why it's been such a mild recovery for me. Luckily it's far enough along in the healing process that it's not a set back to be feeling it now - just a weird turn of events!

If anyone is still overly numb and wants to give it a shot, spicy hot migas and a really tasty mimosa was the menu for the day, can't hurt to give it a try!!
 
@TexasTee Welcome to the ups and downs of recovery! I still have nights where I just can't seem to get my legs in a comfortable position and it has been 11 months on the one knee and three months on the other but the discomfort isn't limited to the newer knee. As they say, every recovery is different. All in all, you are still doing incredibly well.
 
WOW...I have the big numb patches on the sides of my knees...hadn't factored these "waking up" and screaming " I'm sore too". From my nutty perspective you have to laugh....just more healing but kind of weird. Hope you have it under control Teresa...I agree that the trade of of a top time with friends was worth it...the sleepy bits were going to wake up sometime, just chose your brunch date to do it. Take care Maggie
 
It's interesting - and unusual - that your knee did that while you were out to lunch, Teresa. Just keep an eye on it and watch that it doesn't get hot, red and swollen again. If it does, do go to your doctor.
 
Hi Phil/Maggie- yes, it's always something new with this recovery, isn't it? Still better than before hand. Vinny - the numb patch that stayed oddly enough is not on the incision - you still have one there?

Hi Celle - it was odd timing - will definitely keep an eye on it, no re-occurrence of the redness/swelling so far.
 
Yes Teresa parts of my incisions have no feeling at all.
 
I still have a numb spot on the older of my 2 replacements, pretty much just on the lateral side of the knee itself. On the "newer" replacement, the numb spot starts in the same place but seems to extend down the shin a little ways, also on the lateral side.
 
Stopped by to say hi, sorry your knee decided to wake up during your lunch out with the girls. Does the block really last for three weeks? Or is this just another part of the healing process and some nerves are finally feeling better?
Hope the Mimosa is helping, in my book it can't hurt!
 
The whole left side of my knee (left of the incision) is numb, and has been ever since my partial, 3 years ago. I just have to be a little more careful when shaving, but besides that, it's a non-issue. I was told that if the feeling didn't come back within 6 months...it's probably never would.

It sucks that yours "woke up" during your lunch, but i think it's great if you don't end up with a large numb area long term! Congrats?? Haha


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom