PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Houston....we have a problem...I am practically a professional shopper and the new knee does NOT like shopping!!
Hopefully time shall mend this situation - if not, I'll have a whole lot more money :-) The walking part was just fine, it was the sanding still part while looking thru the racks. Probably wouldn't have like the trying on part either but we didn't get that far - well, I tried on some shoes but didn't like them or any of the dresses I saw. Didn't like the increased swelling either so called it a day and came home. Back in the recliner and ice is chugging away.

Hi Maggie :wave: 80s even with humidity sounds awesome to me but I know it's not for everyone. Hope you enjoy your walk out side!
 
That sounds like a fun outing, Teresa. We're getting snow as I write this, and it's predicted to be 16 inches or more, so we went out this morning. I wandered around the bookstore for a couple of hours and had a coffee while my husband went to tai chi, then we had a good solid lunch and came home to hunker down. Feeling mellow after the time in the real world.
 
BRRR! We're having an Arctic front here, as well, not that that means the same thing but it is gray and cold out. The highs this week don't leave the 50s and a few of the low's are very low indeed!

Horrible timing, tomorrow it will be one month - in a lot of ways I'm feeling better and I'm so bored that daily forays into the real world are a great break even if they aren't pain free - without those as a distraction, yikes.
 
[Bonesmart.org] TexasTee finally has a new knee!
here she is - one day shy of one month - first time open to the world! Feels great to have the strips off!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Fantastic looking scar...it's healed beautifully. Yey on the 1month mark. I rub my knees with vitamin E cream... I read somewhere that this plus massaging the cream in is good for scars. Cheers Maggie x
 
Thanks guys! The bottom is still a little scabby but it's finally in the air and gosh it feels nice not to have those strips on...already feels like my knee bends better. That was why i finally pulled them off, I was getting a burning pain right on the incision while doing the heel slides this morning, it felt as if I could go further and it was that pain that stopped it, not the knee - will be interesting to see if I still have that pain in the afternoon PT.

The scabs have to be completely healed before I put anything directly on it, right? I was looking at Mederma yesterday but wanted to look up what worked best on BS before buying anything.
 
Just realized I have not posted on your thread :scratch:.
Your scar looks great, you will waste your money on Mederma, it is for poorly healing unsightly scars. Yours is beautiful.
As long as you have scabs don't put anything on your scar. You really do not need to put anything on it at all. If it makes you feel better, thats OK too once the scabs drop off. The best thing you can do for healing is eat a good diet, adequate protein is key for healing. As far as steri strips, my OS ripped them off 3 days after they were put on my incision.
You are doing great!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pumpkin - thanks! I hadn't seen it until today and I was expecting something more dramatic, it really has closed up tightly. As far as the strips go, my OS's PA put them on and said leave them until they fall off...that was 2 weeks ago!! My PT told me on Friday that the way she had layered them on, like a mummy, they were never coming off so I've been working on them in the shower since then. Wish I'd done it far earlier, it feels so much better.
 
A very neat scar and it doesn't look swollen either.
 
Hi @kaydubs - not sure why you can't? I posted from my mobile so I'd think you'd be able to see on either mobile or laptop. Sorry - but it's not really that interesting, we all have pretty much the same scar!

Hi @janmont - the scar is pretty tight but it's definitely swollen, it varies thru the day, of course, but its several inches larger around than my non-op leg.

Another gray and gloomy day in Texas - boo! I love the sun. Since I have to go out in the weather anyway to take our taxes to the accountant I think I'll go do a 10 minute tan...my OS approved as long as I cover my knee, might look weird but I don't care, it really helps me out to get my dose of D.
 
I can see it now. Sorry, I had taken a sleeping pill and didn't realize my comment was so blunt! haha. Your scar looks AMAZING! Mine is definitely much thicker, but I think that has something to do with the fact that they went over the PKR scar I already had. I was thinking about tanning soon too. I think I will do it for the month of March. I'm going to Key West at the end of March, so I might as well get a jump on it! The question will be...do I leave the boot on or take it off while tanning? HAHA
 
I give my knees a dose of D when I walk the streets each day:walking: I think I read somewhere that the scars should not be exposed too much to sun...anyone have more info on this?

Teresa like you Sydney is overcast today - chance of thunderstorm this afternoon - and like you I will be out and about clouds or no:wink:
 
Hi Kaydubs - no worries, I don't mind blunt! I'd definitely remove the boot for tanning - that would be some odd tan! Jealous of your trip to the keys - I am working on a long weekend trip with some girlfriends to Cancun sometime early summer - will be happy to have that on the books to look forward too.

Maggie - yes, the scar is sensitive for a good while, since mine isn't totally closed I can't zinc it so I'll cover it with a strip of cloth, no problem, later when it's closed I'll cover it with a baby sunscreen - the skin is new like a babies so we treat it that way for a bit, by this summer I'm sure it will be like any other skin and I'll use normal sunscreen.

Hi Lyn - I think I've surpassed all expectations by staying out of the ODIC club for an entire month!! The patience is wearing thin but I know this healing time will pay off in the long run.
 
Looking good Teresa....your scar looks fantastic if you can call it a scar more like a line down your leg....wow...I was told not to put anything on it if it was still open ......does not look like you need to do anything to it.

Vinny
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Your scar looks ace! Mine is still purpley and not pretty. You actually did well with the shopping trip at only a month after your operation. I did one at the same time and ached like mad. My PKR was still giving me a pinching pain at that stage which the OS told me was normal with a partial but that's all gone now. The shopping will wait for the knee!
 
Teresa, so,glad you are doing well. Yes, I went on an outing on Friday, felt great on Saturday and overworked my leg. Sunday and today my quad feels like week two. Getting into bed is torture. Spoke with PT, who is amazing. She said back off, rest, ice and heat until I see her Wednesday. We have ice outside today, so,did not venture to PT. She says almost everyone has a set back when they really start to feel better. So today, teaching from bed, icing, heating, and elevating. And back to hydro, which I had put away!
Oh well, now I know better.

Keep up the good work and take good care of yourself.

Linda in a Abilene, 24 degrees.
 
Ps. I love using vitamin e on scar. May not need it but it feels great. Also using scarsoft,,developed by a local,surgeon after his son was in a bad accident.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom