Guest viewing is limited

TKR Take Two

This is great news! Congratulations!

I also need to have my other one done but I'm still in the, "Not a chance in hell!" camp. :scaredycat:
 
Hello fellow bone smarties! Things have been going well for me and I hope everyone here is doing well, too!

I had my LTKR almost 1 year ago on 12/18. I went to see my orthopedic surgeon today to check on the knee as it's becoming noticeably painful. Doc said the plastic insert may need to be replaced at some point. There's a little bit of wiggle room, more so even from my 6 month check in June. Doc also said there was no fluid build up, which is good and that yes I'm still healing!

My question now is my right knee is bone on bone and it is becoming more difficult to do stairs or even moving it from the gas pedal to the brake can be oh so painful!

Is it possible an overcompensating replacement knee can loosen the fit of the plastic insert?

I've requested RTKR in June 2021. If it weren't for Covid, it would be this year.
 
Is your doctor sure your knee is loose? I wouldn't think the plastic would wear out that much in less than a year. It seems like it would have been too small to begin with. With your tkr knee having to take on much more work now since the old knee has gotten so bad, it could be what's causing extra pain and swelling.
 
Thanks for replying and apologies for not acknowledging it sooner. I'm hoping the extra load on the tkr knee is the issue.
 
I'm starting to gear up for my RTKR set for June this year. Looking back over the past year, I realize the series of events that took place with my recovery+COVID didn't lend itself to what I imagined my outcome would be.
I was in rest mode due to a PT injury around 7 weeks post-op. I made the choice to stop PT and ice and elevate which I have no regrets about and then Covid hit a month later and my knee was still swollen/painful.

I feel like I did compromise my outcome because I didn't really do any type of gentle stretching or exercise. Just normal household stuff. Although I have great flexion and extension, I'm still in pain-achiness, burning, stabbing pain.
Still swollen, but I don't even notice that anymore. I can't kneel directly on the LTKR and it's quite a show to get down on the floor to sit and even better trying to get up. Still doing stairs with both feet on the same step.

My right knee is very, very damaged and my right calf muscles seize up and the pain is excruciating. Hopefully the poor condition of the right knee is the reason why my LTKR is still suffering with pain and puffiness.

With the RTKR on the calendar I'm fretting over my LTKR not being able to provide the stability that will be necessary. I also had some health issues other than the knee, that I was working with my doctor. I went through several diagnostic imaging tests and all were normal thank goodness. However I did find in reading notes on one of the CT scans that I have vacuum disc phenomenon which is really scary. Scary because it was noted and no one said a word to me!

Should I even be doing knee surgery when my lumbosacral spine is messed up? So I have lots of questions.
Plus my family support system that was so important during those first few days post-op will be moving to the east coast. I just feel like there's lots stacked against a chance of success going through with a RTKR when there are still so many issues with the LTKR that is 15 months post op.
But, I know I cannot deal with the right knee much longer.
Because I truly am not satisfied with my LTKR, but the dr. seems pleased as punch as long as I can extend and flex my LTKR maybe a second opinion consult is in order. Sigh
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you that my TKR improved dramatically after I had my hip replaced @Jewlz1. I assumed that the reason was I still wasn't walking normally after TKR because my hip was bad. My knee got better as my hip improved.
 
I'd go for the second TKR as it is possible that your bad knee is causing more of your issues than you know. Walking with a limp on one knee may not be helping your new knee, or your back, and having two good knees might take the stress off your good knee and your back when you are walking in a more steady and balanced way.
 
Today I went and consulted with a different orthopedic surgeon than the one who did my LTKR. I am scheduled to have my RTKR done on 6/9/2021 with the dr I consulted with today. Can one of the moderators point out to me how to get my profile over to the knee pre-op forum? Thank you!
 
Can one of the moderators point out to me how to get my profile over to the knee pre-op forum? Thank you!
All you have to do is start a pre op thread for this right knee, in the pre op forum, if you want to. Or, you can continue to post in this thread.

This Recovery Thread will stay here, and you can start a new Recovery Thread for the right knee when you have that surgery, or, you can post about the new surgery here in this thread, especially if you think you may also post about the first knee.
 
Thanks for the information Jockette. I will keep posting here about my knee journey. Can I change the name from Post OP Incision Care to Take Two, if it's not already in use?
 
Thread title changed for you. I've asked that you be added to the June surgery group.
 
I will be posting more frequently now that I have scheduled my RTKR for 6/9. The new orthopedic surgeon confirmed there is some give with the LTKR which I posted about back in November. That's a long story, but the new orthopedic said there wasn't anything he could do to help with left knee. So eventually the left knee will need a revision due to instability. The reason the LTKR is already loosening or at least the way I understand it is, my tibia was osteopenic which the Dr didn't realize. Apparently that impacted the sizing of the insert (spacer)? I was told he put in the largest size he could without overhang, but there is still some overhang? It's all very confusing. I know I'll experience improvement after the right knee. But to have the left knee replacement already loosening is disheartening and a little scary.
 
I know I'll experience improvement after the right knee. But to have the left knee replacement already loosening is disheartening and a little scary.
This all is so complex and overwhelming. I keep learning so muchp post-TKR on risks and complications....sending positive energy your way that your RTKR goes easily and well.
 
But to have the left knee replacement already loosening is disheartening and a little scary.
As long as the metal implants aren't loose, it's a relatively simple operation to replace the plastic spacer. It isn't a complete re-do of the whole operation.
 
@Jewlz1 I'm glad you have a surgery scheduled for your right knee and that you sought the opinion of another OS. I find it interesting no mention was made of your back issues - perhaps they did not see it as significant an amount of deterioration to warrant dealing with it yet. I have had back issues since I was in junior high, which had gotten progressively worse to the extent I had a "dynamic" (unstable) lumbar spondylolisthesis for years. It was recommended to me that getting my knees replaced first so that my torso was stabilized would not only provide a bit of relief for my back, but ensure a more stable recovery once I had the spinal fusion. I think you are wise to go ahead and get your right knee replaced so you are better prepared if and when you need to seek treatment for your back. With respect to your left knee, did they suggest any treatment for building bone density, other than the usual weight bearing exercises which help strengthen bones?
 
I know I'll experience improvement after the right knee. But to have the left knee replacement already loosening is disheartening and a little scary.
This all is so complex and overwhelming. I keep learning so muchp post-TKR on risks and complications....sending positive energy your way that your RTKR goes easily and well.

Thank you for your positive energy, RIT!
 
But to have the left knee replacement already loosening is disheartening and a little scary.
As long as the metal implants aren't loose, it's a relatively simple operation to replace the plastic spacer. It isn't a complete re-do of the whole operation.

Thanks Celle. I'm going to tuck that in my hat for after the RTKR. I'm hoping for improvement of the LTKR once the RTKR is done and initial healing is in back of me.
 
@Jewlz1 I'm glad you have a surgery scheduled for your right knee and that you sought the opinion of another OS. I find it interesting no mention was made of your back issues - perhaps they did not see it as significant an amount of deterioration to warrant dealing with it yet. I have had back issues since I was in junior high, which had gotten progressively worse to the extent I had a "dynamic" (unstable) lumbar spondylolisthesis for years. It was recommended to me that getting my knees replaced first so that my torso was stabilized would not only provide a bit of relief for my back, but ensure a more stable recovery once I had the spinal fusion. I think you are wise to go ahead and get your right knee replaced so you are better prepared if and when you need to seek treatment for your back. With respect to your left knee, did they suggest any treatment for building bone density, other than the usual weight bearing exercises which help strengthen bones?

Hi Night Quilter-I'm glad you brought up about the spine. I may have to send the CT scan where back/spine issues were inadvertently noted (it was abdominal/pelvic scan). That note indicated vacuum disc phenomena. I was reviewing the brochure I received at my appointment and this Doc prefers using spinal anesthesia with conscious sedation. With that information it will need to be talked about in more depth. I am working from home now doing Covid related work for the local health dept and so I'm in a chair almost all day! The surgeon who did the right knee never said a word about the osteopenic tibia until I started to experience issues. After work I'm usually exhausted and haven't been getting out to walk. Now that I'm fully vaccinated-yay-I need to push myself and of course pre-hab started last night. Thanks for your thoughts and insight. I get to go work a Covid vaccine clinic this morning!! Have a great day!
 
My first post-op post for my RTKR done 5 days ago. LTKR done December, 2019. This time around with the right knee is very different than the first time with the left. Different Dr, different side and different knee manufacturer. Everything went very well by all accounts. My surgeon prefers spinal anesthesia and I ended up having general because the anesthesiologist wasn't able to find a good entry point for the spinal. I had no sore throat afterwards which was really nice. I had home health PT yesterday and the therapist and I are on the same page as far as not aggravating an already angry knee. I am able to get to 0 on my extension which I was surprised about. I'm having a hard time with heel slides (pain) but am able to get a decent enough bend of 90+. Also having trouble with straight leg raises which are really painful unless I support the leg. The PT is having me move my leg to the side like a windshield wiper (no elevation, yet). I was happy for the alternative.
Today was my first day home alone, although my daughter popped in over lunch to check on me. I woke up around 7am and went back to bed for about 4.5 more hours. No ice, no elevation, no pain meds, no knee immobilizer. I freaked out when I did wake up and felt like I had really messed up. My daughter is the absolute best, got my icing started, then meds, then coffee and a Belvita biscuit. Her entire lunch time was taking care of me. She is so kind and caring. All of it, waking up out of sorts and my daughter rescuing me brought me to tears. She thought I was in pain. Which the tears were more for joy and thankfulness for my beautiful girl child. A little sadness mixed in there too because I do not have a partner/companion. It gets really lonely around the house and I find it very easy to fall into sleep again. I know that will improve with time. Yesterday was the 30 year anniversary of being the bone marrow donor for my sister who had leukemia. The bone marrow transplant was successful but her body was so ravaged by the treatment necessary in order to receive the bone marrow that she died from those complications. I realized later today that my earlier tears were tinged with grief from all that she went thru, what I went through and what our entire family lived thru in 1990-1991. It was the saddest time period of my life at that time.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom