Guest viewing is limited

TKR Take Two

Thanks @sistersinhim for taking a look and responding. What do you make of the indentation on my surgical leg starting mid knee and out to the lateral side. I'm wondering if that is due to the lateral vastus lateralis and lateral retinaculum strain on 2/6 during PT?

I have a big day today with some errands and an event at the grandkids school early evening. I'm realizing I'm anxious to get out and about. I've always been somewhat to myself but started growing to be more out and about in the world pre-surgery. I have a fear of falling.

I'm glad to hear you were able to do yardwork. I need to start prepping for planting some perennials and once again feel held back. Baby steps and the mantra from another bonesmartie (is that the correct term)? "Time is our friend"

Enjoy the rest of today! :SUNsmile:
 
As you heal, that dent should straighten out. Most of us had puckers and bulges, etc early in our recovery that went away after about 6 months.
 
12 weeks since my surgery on 12/18/2019. Everything seems to be falling into place for me. Today, I went to the grocery store instead of using instacart. It felt great to get out and see my fav people at the grocery store. I'm still a little concerned about the strain I received in early February during PT. Trying to get anyone by phone at my surgeon's office has been challenging. I will try again tomorrow. I have severe arthritis in my right leg and that has been bothering me quite a bit lately. I'm not anywhere close to having another TKR right now. Oh!! I also wore jeans yesterday for the first time!
 
Getting back to normal life feels so good!
 
Having good days, but I'm still experiencing some pain post quad tendon (etal) strain. The pain now is more pronounced under the patellar button and goes down to the end of my incision. I also have puffiness in two pronounced areas on the medial side of my calf. It's been there all along, but seems to be going down ever do slightly. Any comments on the pain are welcomed. Be well everyone.
 
Well, I ordered my medical records from my surgeon with a particular interest in the office note from 2/18 which is when I saw him for my quad tendon injury. I received the record today and am going to post it here. If someone could read it and offer feedback. As posted in my post# 85, I've started experiencing different pain
under the patellar button and goes down to the end of my incision. I also have puffiness in two pronounced areas on the medial side of my calf. It's been there all along, but seems to be going down ever do slightly. Any comments on the pain are welcomed
I'm not sure what to think at this point. Note: the pain is more pronounced when my knee is flexed and is a throbbing type of pain.

Thank you to whoever can take a look at this for me.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Take Two
    IMG_20200313_125816.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 402
Can someone help me decipher the treatment plan in the office note record I posted please?
 
It looks like to me your doctor is saying you need to find a PT that does less harmful exercises, that your quad was almost ruptured.
 
Thanks @sistersinhim and @Celle. BoneSmart is my knee replacement family. I thought the note said that I had ruptured my quad! Now I understand it to mean a quad rupture could have happened. A second set of eyes is always best. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Between my knee and the Corona Virus I've been a mess this weekend!
:bawl:
 
I think it means you could have strained your quads and pushing you too hard by the PT people might have worsened that strain ,so you got a quad rupture.
By decreasing the amount of demanding PT, you can avoid that.
 
Hi @Celle . I was thinking the same and have been a mess in back of it. I read that part of the treatment plan to my son (he lives 8 hours away by car) and his understanding was a quad rupture could've happened.
 
I'm feeling sad and upset and not sure what to think. Some of my feelings I'm sure are related to the Corona virus. The other part is not fully understanding what is going on with my knee. After formally being diagnosed about a month ago with an injury sustained during PT on 2/6 and resting for most of the past month besides ADL's I attempted a small amount of exercise today and while not in continual pain, if I bring my leg up to say the couch I get a searing pain in the same area that hurt after the pt injury. Argh! I'm not sure what to do? Push forward with heel slides, kick outs when seated, quad sets, up on my toes/back on my heels and a schmeely 5 minutes on the bike OR do I continue to not do any or just do the bike. I'm so confused. My surgeon is out this week and I'm currently staying home and not going out.. This is a bit of a rant but still....I'm just past 3 months since surgery. Before the pt injury I was moving forward with a stellar recovery.
:headbang:k
 
Well, I know if I’d had an injury like yours, shortly after having my knee replaced, I’d be resting it and not pushing any of the exercises that you mentioned.

However, I would do walks around the house to keep things mobile, though not to excess. I didn’t have access to a bike, so I didn’t do that, and my ROM came along fine.

It is so hard to be patient with this long recovery, even under the best of circumstances, let alone with an additional injury.

I totally understand the sadness and uncertainty of the current world situation. It is overwhelming. :console2:
 
Thank you Jockette! I think my ROM should still be good. It's the pain that gets old! I feel 100% and then the pain reminds me 'oh yeah, there's that.' Today seems like the first down day I've had in awhile. I haven't elevated in awhile and I am now, and it really helps.
 
It's been a few weeks since I've posted. I am 18 weeks post LTKR and have been doing okay. I have been in the house since 3/12 and just recently started going out for curbside pickup for pet supplies and am going to try that for groceries later this week.
My knee still feels like I'm suffering repercussions from the strain I suffered during PT in early February. It doesn't seem like it should take so long to heal, but I don't know what the average heal time should be. Today I've experienced sharp, stabbing and burning pain in the area of the strain. This is brand new and it makes me want to cry. I'm scheduled for my 6 month follow up in June and was hoping to not have to go in prior to that appointment. Sigh. I hope everyone is safe and well during the Covid-19 pandemic!
 
I do know that soft tissue injuries take a long time to heal. I don't know about this latest pain. Hopefully it is only a passing issue.
 
It's hard to believe it's been 3 months since I've posted! Covid has made life a little off kilter, but I am doing well-and I don't want to jinx myself by saying that. But when the Corona virus first reared it's ugly head I was really struggling with an injury sustained in Feb 2020 due to an overzealous PT. But it really worked out well because I was able to rest and ice and really not do much of anything while sheltering in place. I was feeling really lazy and concerned because I wasn't exercising. I had my 6 month check up on 6/1 and everything is good. I've been watching my grandkids over the summer and there are days I forget I've had TKR! And other days where I experience some pain, but nothing like it was before. I'm so thankful I had this surgery and hope to schedule for RTKR at some point-not until Covid is under some type of control, though. Thank you to Jamie and all of the moderators for your encouragement and support and helping me through the uncertainty during my TKR recovery. All of you and BoneSmart are truly a blessing!
 
It's great to hear how well you're doing! Hopefully you'll soon be able to have your right one done. Thank-you for your kind words!
 
@Jewlz1 .... this is so wonderful to hear! It validates our belief that for most people, taking an aggressive approach to therapy is not the best route to a successful recovery. You sound happy and that's the whole point of having joint replacement surgery. Good for you for following your body's cues and finding the right balance of exercise, activity and rest so that your knee was able to heal properly. Things should continue to get better for you and I hope you find time to check in now and then to let us know what all you and your new knee are up to!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom