Guest viewing is limited

TKR Take Two

Thanks for the info on the One Step program. I do think I would benefit from this. How will I know when a new promotion is put in place?
I saw your registration for OneStep come through. We are in the process of launching a new promotion for the therapy program, so as soon as it's ready you'll get an email from me and one from BoneSmart announcing the details. It should be in a week or so that the information goes out. You will already be signed up for the program, so there won't be anything else you need to do.

Anyone can go ahead and sign up for OneStep by clicking on the sidebar ad to the right of your screen (laptop or desktop) or at the bottom of your screen (smartphones and devices).
 
Jaycey-you've enlightened me! I have ice packs on the list, but didn't think about a walking pole or cane. I've graduated from a walker straight to unassisted with both of my surgeries, so it's a great idea! Thank you!

We will actually have a home base and visiting family while there. But it is definitely a walking, bicycling city!
 
Hello everyone! I've started noticing pain behind my knee that radiates around to my medial calf. I had RTKR on 6/9. I'm anxious about this for a couple of reasons-one being our family trip to DC starting 8/31 and second, it is around this time after my LTKR in 12/2019 that I had a major set back. My exercise routine consists of gentle stretching and riding the stationary bike-usually every other day. This week I've reached 2 mile distance in 12 minutes with no resistance, seat on the lowest setting. I also have a small flight of stairs (6 steps) that I'm up and down at least 4-6 times a day. I'm taking the steps non-reciprocating going up and down. I'm icing and elevating 2x a day. If anyone has experienced pain behind the knee post TKR please respond with your experience. If the admins can respond it will be greatly appreciated! Have a great day!
 
I can understand why you're worried about an upcoming trip like you're planning. Scheduling a big vacation, especially one with lots of walking, is dicey at best at only 3 months out from surgery. As you make plans for the trip, please allow yourself some options for what you may attempt to do. Plan for icing and elevating your knee throughout the day. If you can do things that don't involve a walking, that will help. It's going to take some creativity and planning to make it work for you and your family. You may even want to consider renting a scooter while you're there so you can get around more easily.
You're going to have the odd pains here and there during recovery. I doubt what you're feeling is anything serious. It sounds more like a factor of the exercise and bike riding plus whatever activities you normally do during the day. Remember that you have to count any activity like running errands, cleaning, meal preparation, etc. in your "exercise" total. Especially if you're doing things that involve a lot of standing, it can impact your knee during this early stage of your recovery.

Take stock of what you're really doing each day and see if you can scale back a bit to allow for more resting, icing and elevation. Do that for week or so and see if it helps. Also, if you can take Tyelnol or an NSAID like Aleve, give that a try to keep an pain at bay.
 
@Jamie Thank you for your kind words. I figured out what was causing the pain in the back of my knee. I was grabbing the back of my knee while stretching my lower back and piriformis muscle. I've figured out a way not to do that and the pain has improved. I am taking 2600mg of Arthritis Tylenol, (2) 650mg every 8 hours and that is working well. I realize the DC trip wIll be pushing things a bit. I've developed a good itinerary that allows for adequate rest, ice, and elevation every day and alternating days of more walking with days that are more relaxed. The most important part of the trip is spending time with my son & his wife who've recently moved to that area. I'm really excited for our visit! I've purchased some trekking poles to help take some stress off my hips and knees. I've got a couple of goals I'd like to meet while there, that I'll share when I return from DC. Thanks!!
 
Our family trip to DC has been cancelled due to Covid. Me, my daughter and her 2 kids-my grands, 7&9 were going to leave on 8/31. Because both kids aren't vaccinated, actually not eligible to be, she didn't want to take the risk and quite frankly, neither did I. I have to say I realized yesterday I would've struggled to probably do one museum. I've been walking on different surfaces and I tire out easily and move slowly. So, maybe a blessing in disguise. We are going to try next year in the spring which will be better for me and hopefully Covid will be under control.

On another note, I've started the one step program and have walked consistently since starting! It helps me get out of the house! Have a great weekend everyone!
 
I’m sorry your plans got cancelled, but I think you’re right, it’s still early in your recovery for a trip like that. Sometimes certain setbacks can take a long time to recover from.

I had one such setback when I was 4 months post op, a weekend of visiting friends and totally overdoing it, trying to keep up, my ROM was shot by the time I got home, due to increased swelling and tightness, and it took a whole month for me to begin to improve again. :bawl:

On another note, I've started the one step program and have walked consistently since starting! It helps me get out of the house! Have a great weekend everyone!
This is great news!
 
I agree that the trip cancellation is probably a blessing in disguise. And with the gradual increase in your walking plus gait improvements, hopefully you'll be a dynamo by next Spring and ready to roll!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom