Guest viewing is limited

TKR Tabbycat's Recovery<

I'd like to ask advice from @Josephine if I could. I have a Circulation Booster machine (which makes leg muscles contract and relax and increases circulation in lower legs and feet). I used it quite a lot after a hysterectomy when I was not very mobile. I'd just like to know if it would be beneficial to use now, I am three weeks post op.
Thank you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think I got the book idea from BoneSmart.
We make a point of not recommending books like this. I think it's more likely you got the idea from another member in which case, I'd much prefer you said that!
 
I'd like to ask advice from @Josephine if I could. I have a Circulation Booster machine I'd just like to know if it would be beneficial to use now, I am three weeks post op. Thank you.
I would think 3 weeks out wouldn't be a good idea. perhaps after 8 weeks if/when the swelling has gone down some.
 
Sorry, Josephine. Not sure where I got that book recommendation.
 
I've edited out the sentence that said the book recommendation was from BoneSmart.
 
@Happydale
I did a quick search and quite a few people mentioned the Peggy Huddleston book and said how helpful it was. I was sure there was a section on book recommendations somewhere in the library, but I can't seem to find it now.
However there is a direct mention of this book in the Articles and FAQ's 'Preparing for knee replacement surgery' under 'Mental / Emotional Preparation'. It says "One member from the BoneSmart.org knee replacement forum states "A friend gave me the book Prepare for surgery, heal faster...I can't believe the results''. Maybe that's what you thought was a recommendation.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad the book is helping you. However, I find its title very misleading. Complete recovery from a knee replacement takes a full year. While the book may help you to go through recovery with a more positive mental attitude (and that is a big help), nothing will speed up your knee's physical recovery. That takes as long as it takes.
 
@Celle
I understand what you are saying. The title of this book may give people false expectations regarding recovery, that is why this forum and the articles are so helpful, they give very realistic information and advice. The accompanying CD was very helpful pre op though.
 
So glad your appointment with the OS came out good and your sharp pains are better. It sounds like all in all you're coming along well.
 
@Tabbycat
I'm glad you found the book and CD helpful.
I only wanted to establish that BoneSmart doesn't recommend anything that might create false expectations. So many people seem to have a knee replacement and are not aware beforehand that recovery will take a long time.
 
:yahoo: Woo-hoo, I just managed to get my leg over the side of the bath on my own. This is a big achievement for me, I was getting a bit down thinking I hadn't made any progress lately. I was so happy I cried!
My husband just saw my scar for the first time, he said " It doesn't bother you, does it, at your age?" :chinstroke:
Hope everyone is doing well,
Love Tabby xxx
 
That's a great milestone! :yes!::yay:

"At your age" - I hope he meant it because you are young, not "old"! A case of foot in the mouth, I think.
 
@Tabbycat - this confirms one of my major personal theories of healing - which is that it's happening all the time little by little, even if we don't notice it or realize it. Amazing bodies that we have! So glad you noticed progress today and thanks for sharing. And of course, be PROUD of your scar!! It's a badge of courage.
 
@Tabbycat
I'm frustrated. After all it took to get me here, it may not get done after all. Will find out in the next couple of days, I guess.
 
@birdwatchr
After reading your thread I can certainly feel your frustration, with everything 'up in the air'. Let us know how things go in the next few days.
Thinking of you
Love Tabby xxx
 
And yesterday I managed to get off the bath bench on my own, I had to take it slow and my hubby was standing by just in case. I am nearly independent in the bathroom :yes!:
Another note of praise, I am now able to do a single leg lift albeit for two seconds before my leg crash lands back on the pillow. I think my quad muscles are taking a very long time to get back in shape after seven and a half months of almost total inactivity pre op.
Have PT this afternoon, I'm getting a bit anxious about the amount of swelling and lack of ROM despite resting, elevating and icing as much as I can. We'll see what they say. The other thing is that since last weekend the fatigue has really hit me, and I still can't get any decent sleep. I know "Its early days"
 
Congratulations on getting off the bath bench.:ok: It's the little victories that mark our progress.

I was expressing a similar concern to my PT about swelling no matter how much I rest, ice, and elevate. He reassured me I'm doing fine, swelling at this stage is totally normal, and only time (and continuing with what I'm doing), will resolve the swelling.

My ROM is inching along. The ever present swelling makes it hard to make much progress. You are also hampered by your pain control issues. Be patient (and gentle) with yourself. Work to discomfort with your PT, but not to pain. You'll get there. :friends:
 
Back
Top Bottom