TKR Tabbycat's Recovery<

@tjcteacher, It's alright, we can just follow each other's recovery threads from now on. One thing I can't seem to do is quote someone else's post or part of a post in one of mine, maybe you can't on an iPad. It would be easier to reply to specific statements.
I believe morphine meds can sometimes cause severe drops in blood pressure especially after some anaesthetics. I was given several and my BP stayed extremely low.
I hope you will continue with a good recovery, now you are in your own home.
I will keep an eye on your recovery thread.
Love, Tabbs xxx
 
It does take a little while to get used to the way the BoneSmart is run, but you'll soon get the hang of it. The rules are there for very good reasons.

There are different areas for different things - knees, hips, pre-op and post-op. Keeping posts in the right area means that they don't get lost or overlooked.

Keeping one thread for your recovery means that it is easy to look back at what has happened, without having to jump from one thread to another. Often, what happened earlier affects what is happening now.

We have a section called How To Use This Forum that might be helpful for you both.
 
Well I've been awake since 1.25 am and am still awake for the start of the dawn chorus at 4.55. If I could only get some sleep and have a bit of relief from this pain. My problem is I sleep on my front and just cannot 'drop off' lying on my back. I know it will be ages before I can get into a comfortable sleeping position. My husband wants to know why I am so complicated, but I can't help it. I do know I am not alone. I have to be at the hospital at 11 am to have my staples removed :scare: and then more torture, sorry, I mean physio.
I hope everyone is progressing well with their recovery.
Love, Tabbs xxx
 
and then more torture, sorry, I mean physio.
I realise that you were joking about the physio - but, it should never be anything even close to torture. Simply, the correct sort of physio should never hurt. Discomfort is OK. Pain is not.
Remember this from the mantras?:
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you
 
I understand about sleep positions. They matter! I had to learn to sleep on my back when I had to start sleeping with a machine for sleep apnea. Took me six months.

Don't worry about the staples. They have tool that pops them open to lift them out and it doesn't hurt and is wonderful to have them gone.

Sorry your pain is hanging around. It's slow to leave. I sure wish it would get to the point where OTC drugs would take care of it for you.

Let us know how PT goes. If you are in pain it's even more important to take it slow.
 
@Tabbycat
I am glad you are starting to feel a little better. I've had some difficulty finding recovery threads. but I think I have the hang of it now. You have been in my thoughts and prayers.
 
@Tabbycat you and I are having opposite issues. I can't do stairs well at all, but leg raises are not a problem for me. All of the nurses who have helped me in and out of bed have said "wow" when they see how well I'm able to lift my leg in and out of bed on my own. I'm with you on the heel slides. Those are hard, especially in bed. I'm hoping those get easier once the dressing comes off and the staples come out.
 
It does help some yo have dressing and stitches out but also helps to put something slippery under your foot - I used a cookie sheet.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have a small skate board that I use just sit on a stool and jently move back and though
 
Another small milestone, I had the staples out yesterday. I must be turning into a big baby because I had to hold tight to the nurse's hand and I did squeak a few times, they were ouchy all 34 of them. Glad that's over. I was not too impressed with the surgeon's stapling skills but the inscision looks clean and neat, and there's hardly any bruising. I've got a waterproof dressing which can stay on 48 hours. I think I will feel a bit vulnerable when that comes off.
Then onto my first physio session, and I must say I was very pleasantly surprised and impressed. Nice young physio called Gary and I had a dialogue about the surgery, my previous joint problems, my main problems now (pain and lack of sleep), and what's the best way to proceed with physiotherapy. I described everything about how my knee feels at the moment and he said it was all quite normal for this stage. He's not pushing any particular exercises at the moment, other than heel slides, and trying the let my leg relax when extended, and just up and down stairs when necessary. He emphasised that exercise should never push pain levels beyond a 2 or 3 out of 10. He thinks I will benefit from pool therapy and I'm going for my first session next Wednesday. He was really concerned about the sleep issue and suggested I try going back in bed, on my side with a pillow in between my knees. I did this last night and got about four hours before I woke up, the best sleep I've had since the op :)
After all that hubby and I went to the hospital restaurant and had the most delicious roast turkey dinner!
I was absolutely done in when I got home, so have stayed on the bed today with my legs up and the ice packs on.
 
You finally got some decent sleep! Wonderful! It sounds like your therapist is a real blessing! I hope you can keep him all the time.
 
So do I! First pool therapy session is with another physio, but I should be able to see him for subsequent ones.
 
Finding a comfortable position in my own bed last night was definitely a challenge. I remember reading others saying they are able to sleep on their side with a pillow in between their knees, so I gave it a try, too. Got about 2 hours that way. Spent most of the night on my back with a pillow under both thighs. That was the most comfortable for me.

Glad you have such a great sounding physio. Sounds very promising. I'm envious that you can do water therapy so soon. My surgeon said it's a great idea - after 6 weeks.

Good luck to you, and I hope your sleep continues to improve.
 
Sorry about the staples! Mine didn't hurt but two were actually missed! The skin was so swollen they didn't reveal themselves for another week or so.

This time I was glued though. I like that better.

I am so pleased your PT looks like a keeper. You deserve a break!
 
My staples were uncomfortable to get out out too. I healed so well that my skin started to cover the staples! I'm glad your therapist seems to have a gentle approach. That's the best way to go.
 
He emphasised that exercise should never push pain levels beyond a 2 or 3 out of 10. He thinks I will benefit from pool therapy and I'm going for my first session next Wednesday. He was really concerned about the sleep issue and suggested I try going back in bed, on my side with a pillow in between my knees. I did this last night and got about four hours before I woke up, the best sleep I've had since the op :)
Gary sounds as if he is going to be sensible about your therapy. Thank goodness for that! Good PT therapists are like gold dust, so I hope he continues to be a good one.

I'm a little concerned about you starting pool therapy so soon, though. You really shouldn't be getting in the water until your incision is completely healed, with no scabs or open areas at all. If you go before that, you risk introducing infection.

I'm glad you finally got a decent sleep. Sleeplessness is a common problem after this surgery, so grab sleep whenever, wherever and however you can. Even short naps ad up to what your body needs.
 
Thank you @Celle,
I was a little surprised how soon pool therapy was suggested, the physiotherapy treatment consists of 6 sessions of physio, then two pool sessions and I assumed these would be the last two sessions. I didn't think about the inscision not being completely healed yet. Maybe I should find out if I can postpone to a later date? How long would you think reasonable before going in the water, or is everyone different? Also, what about showering after my dressing comes off. My staples came out yesterday. Thanks for your advice!
Love, Tabbs xxx
 
I got staples out Wednesday-it was ouchy and bled a little. I was told could shower after staples out but no swimming, etc. until completely healed incision.
 
Back
Top Bottom