TKR Tabbycat's Recovery<

Glad to hear your staples are out. Most of mine (something like 46-I forget the exact number now) had scabbed over to different extents-it was horrible getting them out, so I'm glad your experience was better. My OS is using glue this time-yay! Glad to hear you got some sleep last night....that's a hard thing to do after a TKR. Sounds like you have a good PT-we need to clone the good ones. Take it easy, elevate and :ice::ice::ice:!
 
I didn't think about the inscision not being completely healed yet. Maybe I should find out if I can postpone to a later date? How long would you think reasonable before going in the water, or is everyone different? Also, what about showering after my dressing comes off. My staples came out yesterday
This is a case of your not asking, but telling. It's your job to look after your knee and you need to make it clear that you will not run the risk of introducing infection by going in a pool before your incision is healed. You don't have to ask permission to make a decision for your knee's safety. It's your knee and the decision is yours. You are the only one who has the right to say what will happen to your knee.

Having said that, I do know that there are some therapy pools (sometimes in hospitals) that take additional precautions and have additional testing, to ensure that they are safer for new wounds. If the PT facility has one of those, they should be able to tell you, but I think you will need to see their testing results, to prove that their pool is safe.

Showering after your dressing comes off will be OK. Just pat your incision dry with a clean towel. It's being in the water for longer periods that needs to be avoided - so don't have a bath yet, either.

It's only really safe to go into the water when your incision is completely healed, with no open areas (no matter how small) and no scabs at all. It can take a month or so before all the scabs have come off.

I was at my local hospital on Wednesday and I saw that this poster about patient rights was prominently displayed in several places. I think it's a great summary of your basic rights as a patient.
[Bonesmart.org] Tabbycat's Recovery<
 
I'm just starting pool therapy Tuesday and I'm a month ahead of you. Showers were ok since I wasn't soaking in anything. I would of not wanted to use the pool much sooner than I am even when the best of care is taken with them. All my daughters were lifeguards and I know how fast pool water can be affected if the pump or filters were just a tiny bit off.
 
How has your day been @Tabbycat
My surgeon said I could shower after they took out staples, just no soaking like in tub or pool. They took off waterproof bandage and staples on Tuesday I think and I've taken a few showers.
 
Thanks for asking @tjcteacher
Well my day was slightly better but my second night in bed was a disaster with worse pain and no sleep. I am back on the recliner and slightly more comfortable. Audible books on the iPad keep me entertained until the dawn chorus takes over. I feel like this:tiredwheel:, but I know I am not alone and that helps.
All the best for a continued good recovery.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
Night times are so so bad-I'm awake now. Icing, elevating, in recliner. I just can't get comfortable and stay in the bed. I've been trying to sleep off and on. Keep electronics, tv, etc. off but I still didn't sleep much. Got up to go to the bathroom and decided to get on the computer.
 
I'm here too on my recliner and my knee elevated and my ice machine keeping me cold. I was out for 8 hours yesterday and you would think I would be able to fall asleep.:bored:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Tabbycat ! I'm so sorry to read about your troubles with the pain meds. I hope you're feeling better now. It is so hard to get comfortable, isn't it? I "graduated" to the chair in my living room a week ago from the bed but am still using the chair only part time as I can't get comfortable for anymore than a couple hours at a time. It's not a traditional recliner, so I suppose that made the difference. Up until a few nights ago, I had to sleep on my back. Ugh. I can manage a couple hours on my left side now before having to return to my back. It is getting better though and I keep telling myself that. This is going to keep getting better for us every day.
 
I woke (after taking all night to drop off) with awful sharp stabbing pains in my knee so I've had a bit of a miserable day today. I'm seeing the surgeon tomorrow, we'll see what he thinks. I've pushed my second PT session on to next week, hopefully I'll be a bit more up to it. I'm just doing little walks around on one floor and trying to nap, but it is difficult to get any proper sleep. I've also used ice a lot today, but the sharp pain is still there, not quite so intense. Yesterday I started feeling quite a bit of anxiety too.I hope it starts getting a bit better soon.
Thanks for all the encouragement.
Love Tabby xxx
 
I'm sorry @Tabbycat -I have been feeling anxiety since last night too! Where are the stabbing pains? Incision? or deeper? I've felt a few pains similar but not a lot. I am sure that is scary for you. We don't know how it's supposed to feel. I hope you get answers soon. Is tomorrow your follow up appointment? Hang in there!
 
During recovery I have felt all times of aches and pains of varying degrees. I have the same thing and they just come and go. Stick with the ice and elevating. This too shall pass.
 
@Tabbycat
Didn't get a chance to write you this morning. How have you been? I hope much better. I've been so busy - madhouse around here. Three more weeks and counting!
 
Hi to all following this thread.
I feel a bit better after my visit to the surgeon. He's pleased with the inscision, says I am a fast healer, and the swelling is reasonable considering a) how much swelling I had before and b) how bad a state my knee was in with no cartilage and a lot of chronic inflammation from the RA, which took quite a while to clean up. My ROM hasn't been measured, but he could tell from looking and it's reasonable for this stage, I just need to keep on with some gentle flexion and extension exercise. I mentioned the stabbing pains but they have diminished so do not appear to be a problem at the moment. I had the second to smallest implant (Stryker Triathlon) and he showed me one, it was smaller than I thought. He is adamant I wear the Ted stockings for three more weeks, so I have asked for a few more waterproof dressings to protect the inscision, the inside of those stockings is like sandpaper and I think would rub on the wound. The surgeon said I probably won't notice improvements day to day yet, but will be surprised after a few more weeks. In fact I got in and out of the car with quite a lot less pain than even five days ago :yahoo:
I called in my GP's surgery on the way home to ask for a prescription of pain meds and told the receptionist I had total knee replacement surgery 19 days ago. She said "are you in pain?" :rolleyes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great report from you visit to the surgeon. :yes!::yay:
I'm glad your weird pain had settled down a bit. These odd pains do seem to come and go for a while.

Unless they've had a knee replacement, it's hard for people to comprehend, so I'm not surprised your doctor's receptionist asked that question.
 
That's a great report from your OS visit. I'm very happy for you. My family doctor told me that people only have pain for 2 weeks after a TKR. :hairpulling: I'm lucky that the OS I have now will prescribe the meds I need now.
 
Tabbycat, the book I'm reading is Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster - A Guide of Mind-Body Techniques by Peggy Huddleston but the quote is from Dr. Christiane Northrup. I've been listening to your Jason Stephenson on YouTube. I love him! My only problem is each time I've listened, I've ended up falling asleep!

I'd love to share my bone broth recipes. I already dipped into the chicken one, so I can vouch for that. The beef is supposed to cook for 48 hours! Hope it's delicious too. I really think both are super flexible and impossible to screw up.

For the chicken, I got 2 pounds of chicken wings (which is important, because the joint pieces have extra collagen) along with a whole chicken. I put the chicken in a big 8 quart pot along with a tablespoon of peppercorns, about 2 organic onions quartered and not peeled, two carrots not peeled, a leek with most of the green cut off, some celery cut in 2inch pieces, quite a few cloves of garlic, some salt, and two bay leaves. Put that on a slow simmer, and after the chicken is cooked (maybe 40 minutes, depending on how big the whole chicken is - less time if you use pieces) I removed the meat from the pan and let it cool until I could handle it and pull the meat off the bones for another use. Then put all the bones back into the pot of veggies and cook it for 24 hours on very low heat. It was delicious already after about 6 hours, and I'm just going to let it go all night. When it's done, you put it through a strainer, add salt and pepper if needed. You want it to turn to gel when you put it in the refrigerator. The fat rises to the top and solidifies on top of the gel substance. That fat can be saved and used for cooking, such as stir fry.

For the beef broth, it's all the same except I roasted the beef bones and vegetables for about 40 minutes on baking sheets in a very hot oven (not sure the celcius equivalent of 450 F) then dumped it all in my crock pot and covered with water. One of the bones had a bit of meat on it, but the others were pretty bare. That has been going for about 8 hours thus far, and I haven't yet needed to add any water. I hope it doesn't dry out overnight, but I'll fill it up with water before I go to bed. You can also add tomato paste and canned tomatoes if you want. Strain it all when it's done, and again allow it to refrigerate so the fat solidifies on top.

It's also fine to use leftover bones from another meal, so that's like FREE! I've been making the chicken stock like this for years, but just recently read up on all the health benefits. Really this nutrition sounds perfect for orthopedic recovery. I had to go on antibiotics yesterday for a jaw infection (just got my wisdom teeth pulled!) so I'm trying to replenish my gut and immune system before my surgery. One more thing to stress about...

OK, enjoy your bone broth!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Happydale
Thanks for the book link. I asked the patient liaison nurse to say healing statements as I went under the anaesthetic, and I really believe in it. She wants to make it a common practice in the hospital I was in, we are hoping to work together on this idea and other ideas she has to fully prepare and support patents through surgery.
So kind of you to share the recipes in so much detail. My mouth is watering already!
I'm glad you like the Jason Stephenson. I've been listening to his Recovery Meditation, it's for pre op as well as post op, I find it really good, and yes, it does send me off to sleep as well, this is very useful post op. It's 2.30 am now, I'm just going to settle back down and listen...sweet dreams everyone!
Love Tabby xxx
 
Hi @birdwatchr
Not bad at all today thank you, resting with feet up and ice pack on, True Movies on the telly. My knee is three weeks old today, and although the pain varies, I know that every day it's healing a bit more.
How are your preparations going? Not too long to wait now
Love, Tabby xxx
 
Back
Top Bottom