TKR Tabbycat's Recovery<

Interesting comment about fatigue...after thinking I was past it at 3 weeks I just slept for most of the last 2 days.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @CaliGirl , very timely advice, I've just come back from physiotherapy, and they are saying the same, that the swelling is normal for this stage, and although my flexion is only 75 that is better than the last time. Also, I have no problem getting up from a chair, walking or doing stairs (using crutches).I have to concentrate on only one exercise until next week, the quad strengthening one where you put a rolled up towel under the knee and lift your foot. Exactly as you said, you just do the exercise to the point of discomfort but not pain, and the physio said this will not do any harm to the knee. So I was reassured. My next appointment is next Tuesday, my 30th wedding anniversary!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My OS told me that since i had a revision I could have swelling for up to a year. They suggested a compression sleeve for me. I'm ahead of you by a month and if I ice and keep my knee elevated over night then it does come down to almost nothing but as soon as I stand up it starts over again. Eventually we will no longer have the problem.
 
@newlybionic, don't want to derail tabbycat's thread but what about a revision makes swelling last that long? Curious because my implant is one normally used for revisions (due to knee and tibia trauma 4 months before TKR)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@charmed-life Im not really sure his reasoning about that. I was thinking it may have to do that all the soft tissues in my leg have been going through so much in the now past 10 months from my original TKR having never healed and then redoing the TKR again.
 
Ladies, this is Tabbycat's recovery thread. Please can we confine questions to her recovery, not your own? Thank you.

And the amount of swelling is often related to how much manipulation your soft tissues have to receive during surgery. It doesn't have anything to do with the type of hardware that is used.
 
Early congratulations on your 30th anniversary! It sounds like you are moving along and your therapist seems to be very good not pushing you to do too much at a time. Keep on going you're doing great. Eventually the swelling will go down. ( I hope!)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Tabbycat's Recovery< Had a bit of a setback last weekend, I lost my balance in the bathroom and my whole weight went on my right leg causing my knee to hyper extend painfully. Since then I can't put much weight on it and feel as if I have regressed about a fortnight :bawl:I had to postpone physio until 6th June (to see the one I like), although I have told him what happened. I'm annoyed, as I was beginning to see some progress. Just another bump in the road I suppose.
My scar seems ok, no redness or undue heat thankfully.
Glad everyone seems to be doing well.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
Your scar looks really good.

Sorry to hear about your setback. Ouch! I'm sure no permanent harm was done. Just rest, ice, elevate, and take whatever pain pills you can manage on schedule, and you'll get back to where you were - and beyond. It sounds like the scheduling conflict with your PT is fortuitous, since it will give you a chance to rest and recover from your setback before stressing your knee again.

It's frustrating, though, I know.

*Hugs*
 
@Tabbycat so sorry you have had a set back, make sure you rest, your scar looks very good, enjoy the bank holiday and hope we get some good weather in the UK xx

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
So sorry you're hurting! Any setback is hard to take, I know. But, with your attitude and patience you'll soon be past this bump and be on your way again!
 
Oh @Tabbycat, you were doing so well. In one split second that can change. I'm sure your implant is fine but I bet those soft tissues are screaming. It's good that you have to wait for pt to let them heal. God bless you!
 
Well, darn @Tabbycat! Now that a few days are behind you, do you see any improvement? If not, maybe call your OS Monday, for a reassuring x-ray?
 
Thanks everyone for your concern, I'm not in so much pain at rest, but can't bear too much weight on that leg yet. It's very much like it was about two or three weeks ago. I know my quad muscles are weak and that affects how stable my knee feels. I'll see how I am after the Bank Holiday, and let the OS know if I'm not improving.
 
Back
Top Bottom