TKR Swmrgirl is Recovering

Your posting caught my eye. I am a swimmer also. Your new knee will benefit so much from swiming. I notice such a difference if I miss my swim. Take good care of you and your new knee.

Hope you're doing well, Julie. Pools are opening here this weekend, although the water is still too cold for me, I'm anxious to get back in a pool again.

Hi @Haze. It's been awhile since I've posted here, my laptop died shortly after my surgery and I just got a new one. I just got cleared to get into the pool, so I'm planning to give it a try this weekend. I'm looking forward to it!

@KarriB, the weather has been in the 70s here and the pool I go to is usually about 82. I think I can handle that. Is school out for you now? Have you officially retired, lucky lady?

This knee couldn't be more different than the first. I've had better ROM right off the bat, although my quad is not able to hold my weight as I step forward, and sometimes I feels like it's going to collapse under me. Doing gentle exercises to help wake it up, but it's definitely on its own time. I'm extremely fatigued this time around, and can't sleep worth beans, it's like I'm swimming through mud most days. I'm sure I'm not any different than most, just a lot more impatient this time. I'm ready to get out and enjoy late spring, but so limited still.

@swmrgirl
Your surgery was the day before mine. It's funny how knees are all so different. I know the 'wading through treacle' feeling, and it can last a long time too. My quad muscle is weak too, it makes the knee joint feel unstable even though the implant is firm. Once the sleep improves the energy will come back. I hope.
Love, Tabby xxx

Julie, I am officially retired now for two days, but it just feels like summer vacation except for all the wonderful parties, luncheons and kind thoughts from everyone. I was weepy some days and I'm sure it will hit me in August/September when I'm not preparing my classroom or printing names on everything.

It was very warm here and I thought at leads it would warm up the water even though I was miserable at school. But then this week it cooled down to the 50s at night and 60s in the day! Brrrrr!

Sounds like your knee is giving you some good and bad. I remember a lot of clicking (from both knees) when I started swimming. Maybe swimming will help you sleep. I slept terribly for a few months, also, but Tylenol PM helped me get back into a rhythm.

@KarriB No whining about cool weather allowed! We had as high as 105 here lately, with more to come! lol. Thank goodness it's cooled to the 80's the last couple of days, but tomorrow we go back to the 90s.

I was reading your recovery thread this morning, @Tabbycat, so sorry for all the challenges! Yes, we all do this recovery thing a little differently, thank goodness for BoneSmart!

Congrats on your retirement, @KarriB! Enjoy your summer, and the beginning of retirement. I'm sure the fall will feel odd, and so you'll fill your life with all the things you never had time to do. Like you mentioned, @lovetocookandsew, we had some hot weather, but I'm closer to the coast, so not quite as hot here. I'm not complaining :)

Tomorrow I'm going for my maiden swim (a quick one) then having a mani-pedi. Sunday is my Dad's 90th birthday celebration. We're having brunch at a restaurant about 30 minutes from home. My first weekend out of the house since surgery, just hope I don't end up paying for it on Monday.

Just try to keep your leg as much as possible. Enjoy!

@lovetocookandsew really not complaint about the cool weather. I enjoy it and detest hot humid weather, it's only good for heating up Jr. Olympic size pools in Western PA! When it's cool I can sit outside to read, not so much when it's hot and humid. Western PA is notorious for up and down temps. Today it's headed to near 90.

Plus, it's humid in the east, and that makes it feel hotter!

I had a wonderful little swim this morning. Mostly worked my arms as I paddled up and down the lane. Felt so good to get in the water. I'm a bit competitive in the pool and some of my swim buddies were there, so I had to use some restraint so I didn't overdo it. I'll bet I'll have a nice nap today!

My left quad is still not firing, and I'm still on crutches, which is a bit unwieldy around the pool.

Julie

Last edited by a moderator:
My left quad is still not firing, and I'm still on crutches, which is a bit unwieldy around the pool.
Do be careful that those crutches don't slip on wet patches around the pool.

I have to ditch the crutches before I get to the pool area, so I don't slip. There's a railing around the pool that I can hold onto if I need to. Hoping my quad will wake up soon, so I can leave my crutches at home.

I had a very busy weekend and was out and about more than I've been since surgery. Yesterday was my dad's 90th birthday, and I was able to stay at the restaurant for the whole three hours. It was so nice to see my family and close friends together. The weather was breezy and clear, and it was a great day for a celebration. My dad and his 93 yo. brother were so funny and cute together, it just warmed my heart watching them laugh and joke. I was tired today, but not as much as I expected. No ODIC for me this time.

Today was my first day not needing pain meds during the day. At my OS visit last week my doc gave me tramadol in place of oxycodone, but I think I only need to take something at bedtime and when I have an especially uncomfortable day. I have not liked having ice on this knee at all. Last fall when I had my left tkr, I was hardly ever without my ice machine or ice packs for six months! You can't beat ice for swelling and pain relief. This knee is very different and the cold irritates it and makes my bones ache. I can tolerate it for 15 or 20 minutes, but can't wait to take it off. Also, not much swelling this time... go figure.

Congrats on doing so well! I'm not ready for long outings yet-can't wait until I am. I'm glad you were able to join in the fun and not have to leave after a short visit. Be very careful around the pool-maybe wear some water shoes? I do that and can hop in and out of pools, and other water without worrying my feet will slip on wet surfaces.

Ok, so maybe I did over do it this weekend, and it took until last night to catch up with me. I tossed and turned most of the night and both legs were twitchy and uncomfortable. My left knee is quite stiff and achy this morning, and I'm nauseous. :sick: This knee doesn't swell on the outside like the first one did, but I can sure feel it inside... my flex isn't so great today. Guess I found my limit.

Oh, I understand the ache to get in the water. Next time you can take it a little easier. It is so hot here and my boyfriend's complex has a lovely warm pool that no one uses. I am afraid it will be a couple more weeks before I dare try it. There is nothing like swimming. I grew up swimming in Lake Michigan where 72 degree water was a warm day!

Hi @Floridagal, I wasn't able to get in the pool for six weeks after surgery, but it was worth the wait! The weather is back down in the 60s and very windy, so it makes it harder achy self to get into the water, but at least the pool is nice and warm.

I haven't been feeling well the last two days, kind of achy and like I have a dark cloud hanging over me. My husband called it "recovery fatigue" meaning I've been in recovery mode for a long time, since my surgeries were only six months apart. I also have terrible cabin fever, but I don't have enough energy to be out and about much. My ROM is pretty good, but my overall recovery seems quite a bit slower. My son is home from college, which helps. I think I need to stay away from the news, it makes me sad. Thanks for listening ❤️

I'm sorry you're feeling down. Surgery and everything else going on can certainly effect your emotions. I tend to stay away from the news after the original story. The world can be a sad sad place. Love the ones who are with you, the best that you can.

I've been nauseous for a few days too, which is always a bummer. Not sure what's going on with that.

I think I officially have the post-op blues. I've been feeling kind of down these last few days, and today was not fun. A friend picked me up and took me to lunch, which was so sweet, but I couldn't wait to get home so I didn't have to make conversation. I cried most of the afternoon. I felt this way much earlier in the healing process with first knee, so I mistakenly thought I was going to skip it this time. No such luck.

@Celle, I have a couple of questions for you. My quad has a weak spot, so when I take a step forward my left knee wants to collapse under me. I'm still using crutches, because I almost fell a few times. I haven't started outpatient PT, and probably won't, because I have a feeling they're going to want me to work my knee to death, which I'm NOT going to do. I realize my quad is weak from surgery, but does this sounds like it's outside the normal range?

Also, I stopped taking oxycodone last week and am now taking 50mg tramadol and 1000mg Tylenol every six hours, but I'm very uncomfortable and feel like I could still be taking 5mg oxy a couple of time a day. My OS seems to be a little more liberal than most when it comes to prescribing refills, but he does ask me if I'm cutting down, which I am. Neither he nor I are afraid I'm going to become dependent on oxy. I keep reading about how early people are getting off the narcotics, so I'm concerned about staying on them any longer.

Any input is appreciated.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks