TKR Swmrgirl is Recovering

I'm sorry you are feeling so low at the moment. It's horrible, even though you know it's to be expected at some point. I don't think anyone really prepares you for the mental and emotional side of all this. We are neck and neck in lots of ways, date of surgery, age, where we are in recovery. I feel I should not need both crutches now, but feel weak and unsteady without them. I've also have quite intense pain at times and can only take Paracetamol. If you need the Oxy for pain relief I say keep taking it. My physio wants me to do several exercises to try to increase my ROM and I try to do them, but they hurt and I don't know if I am doing more harm. Im exactly two months post op today and sometimes feel I have been through the same week eight times and am not much further on. I wish I had a magic wand and could make it all better for all of us!
Hang in there, we'll try to support each other. :console2:
Love, Tabby xxx
 
@Tabbycat, I know that feeling of going through the same week over and over *sigh* I also know from experience that it passes eventually. I've been reading your postings and feel sorry that you can't take stronger pain meds. I don't know how you do it! xo
 
Hi Julie,
My quad has a weak spot, so when I take a step forward my left knee wants to collapse under me. I'm still using crutches, because I almost fell a few times. I haven't started outpatient PT, and probably won't, because I have a feeling they're going to want me to work my knee to death, which I'm NOT going to do. I realize my quad is weak from surgery, but does this sounds like it's outside the normal range?
Since it's only just over 8 weeks from your surgery, I don't think it's unusual for your quads to still be weak. We usually recommend that you don't start any strengthening exercises until about 12 weeks at the earliest, anyway. I'm going to ask @Pumpkln for her advice here, too, as she knows more about such things than I do.

I think you're wise to keep using the crutches. There's no need to rush to get off them. They're only a tool and it's much safer to use them than to risk a fall.
Also, I stopped taking oxycodone last week and am now taking 50mg tramadol and 1000mg Tylenol every six hours, but I'm very uncomfortable and feel like I could still be taking 5mg oxy a couple of time a day.
I keep reading about how early people are getting off the narcotics, so I'm concerned about staying on them any longer.
I don't think there's any problem with still taking the oxy a couple of times a day, if you feel you need it (just don't go driving after you've taken a dose). It's more important that you feel comfortable than that you get off these drugs early. Yes, there are some people who manage without the heavy-duty meds earlier, but there are others who still need them for longer. Don't feel pressured to reduce yours. You aren't likely to become addicted, as you know, and I think you'll find that you just gradually don't need the oxy.
 
Julie, I know my experience was different with the 2nd surgery, but it did mean I was taking oxy off and on for nearly three months and a bit longer. I did have a "pill cutter" that allowed me to lower the dose without a new script.
So sorry that the blues are hitting you now. It is such a hard part of recovery and my least favorite I think. Hopefully it will move on soon and you can get back to being yourself.
Are you able to do straight leg raises with your weak quad?
 
I'm sorry that you're feeling down. I went through the same thing a couple of weeks ago. It does pass. I think the fact that you still are having pain can bring you down. Take the oxy if still needed. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. We all have our own roads to travel to follow to full recovery.
 
Ok, I'm feeling much better about taking the pain meds. Thank you for your feedback. I only need about 10 - 15mg in a day, but it makes a huge difference. Not much driving for me yet. @KarriB, I can do straight leg raises and most other non-weight bearing exercises. It seems like its weakest when I'm on it. @newlybionic, I do try hard not to compare myself to anyone else, but my little brain works overtime.
 
swmrgirl,
I took pain medications for months after both my TKR and Revision, forgetting to take them as the pain went down. Everyone is different and every knee is different.
Your quads are not weak, they are not firing as they should when you are walking.
Try the church pew exercise, a video is no longer available. Stand at your sink in good posture, weight on both feet, hold on for balance.
Shift your weight from your heels to balls of your feet and back, using only your ankles to hinge forward. You should feel your calves firing and your quads firing as you move back and forth. Do only 5 of theses a day, do too many and you will be very sore very fast.
 
Thanks @Pumpkln, I'll give that a try. My knee gets irritated easily, so I'll take your advise and start off slowly. I definitely feel better when I take pain meds, even if it's a low dose, so I'll stick with it for awhile.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Ok, this makes sense @Pumpkln. It's such a subtle movement, but I can understand how it works. There's a big difference between voluntary and involuntary movement, in terms of how it works the muscle. I like this one, and I'll let you know how it works out. I made my first full forward rotation on the bike today. Yay!
 
Just FYI: Tramadol, as all pain meds, have side effects that may be causing you to feel down also. I did have a crying as a side effect with Tramadol.
 
@tjcteacher, that certainly could be part of it. Seems like it came on around the time I started taking Tramadol, so maybe it's not the best med for me.
 
Swimgirl that is what I figured out-started being so so sad the week I started taking it-crying for really no reason. I was a mess; also caused muscle spasms at night in left leg :(
 
Ugh, that's no fun! I'm not going to take Tramadol anymore and see if I feel better. I'm sure the blues are a combination of things, but I don't want to do anything to add to the problem. I appreciate your input @tjcteacher.
 
I've been wondering how you're doing without the Tramadol. Emotions? Pain?
 
Hi @KarriB! I hope you're doing well and enjoying sumeer. I'm taking 50mg Tramadol and 2 Tylenol in the morning and one oxy before bed, and that seems to be doing the trick without side effects. I still have some pain, but nothing too dramatic. Feeling frustrated because things are not improving as fast I would like, so I'm working hard on being patient.

I went up to Lake Tahoe on June 20th. We rented a lovely house just a few yards from the lake and planned to stay for 10 days. No TV, no cell reception, and no wifi. It was so much fun until day 8 when I was hit with severe sciatica on the left side. It went from my back down to my heel andI couldn't stand to sit in the car for more than about 15 minutes, so I was unable to make the drive home until yesterday. On the bright side, we were able to stay in the house longer, so I sat in a lounge chair on the deck overlooking the lake, and even though I wasn't very mobile, it was nice to be away from home for a few weeks.

I've had more challenges with the second TKR, and I'm just trying to remember that it takes time. My leg is still buckling under me, so I'm still on one crutch, because I feel like I'm going to fall when I walk. I'm seeing a new PT tomorrow, and hopefully she can help me get my leg going again, so I can go back to work!
 
I'm sorry to hear about the sciatica pain, but how nice that you were able to stay longer at the lake. Do you think it's your knee buckling or the IT band? When are you supposed to go back to work?

I'm biking 5 miles a day and not swimming as much I'd like. Due to financial issues my neighborhood pool cut lap times entirely, so I get my laps in when I can. Today just 13 laps. There's a Y I'm going to join in the fall, but I'd rate swim outdoors as long as I can. Still wish I could walk more, but everything seems to hurt when I walk a lot.
 
@swmrgirl Did you get to swim in the Lake while you were there? I avoid swimming in Lake Tahoe-brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. But Tahoe is one of my favorite places to take off to for a few days, especially in the winter.

@KarriB I'm so glad you can bike now-my turn better be coming soon or I'm going to have a long and loud talk with my knee! I don't have any access to a pool except at the gym, but my OS did tell me to hit the pool, so I guess I'll break down and re-join the gym soon so I can use theirs.
 
Good for you for biking, @KarriB!

My OS says it's my quad, not the IT band. The weak spot is when I first bend my knee, it wants to collapse there. If I get past that point, like in a deeper squat, it's fine. I just keep doing my little exercises and swimming, and hoping that one day soon my quad will wake up.

I was supposed to go back to work this week, but because of the sciatica, I'm aiming for a couple of short days next week. I've been able to work from home part-time, and appreciate my employer for being so flexible.

@lovetocookandsew, I do swim in the lake, and the cold water feels great on my knees. The key for me is to just jump in off the pier, and not stay in longer then about 10 minutes. The cold water does take my breath away, but I'm able to recover quickly, and I love it. My son and husband would never ever to that, but my daughter is always game :ice: Swimming is the best therapy for me, both physically and mentally, and I always sleep well after a good swim.
 
I have found it harder to deal with cold water since my TKR. But you're right jumping in is probably better than walking in slowly as I do.

It's the quad?! You've had issues with that quad all along. Hopefully the new PT can help you.

@lovetocookandsew i couldn't bike before the TKR, it just hurt too much. But I've been on my recumbent bike since 4 months after surgery. I force myself to swim and bike as many days as I can, with retirement this will be my life now I think.
 
Back
Top Bottom