Swelling? Can't figure out why....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that this feeling of depression is quite common about this time in your recovery. Be sure you are getting good rest, healthy food and drinking lots of water each day. Lack of any of those can make things worse.

The opiate pain medication can increase the possibility of having these feelings too. I know all this probably doesn't help you feel any less depressed, but I just want you to know that at least some of what you're experiencing is a very normal part of recovery. And it does get better with some time!
 
Well the weather has warmed up and my whole leg has fattened up! Ankle swollen noticeably for the first time In a while. I swear I feel the fluid pour down to my ankle when I am standing up and spread out while I ice and elevate! I don't want to just lay in bed with pillows while my son from out of state is here!

Darn it!


4/1/2014 TKR
 
I know you want to be able to do things while your son is with you - of course you do! But your knee is simply not ready. I counted and it's only 7 and a half weeks since you had major surgery. You knee is going to swell and be sore if you try to do too much.

You've already seen how the knee and the leg appreciate ice and elevation, and don't like standing and being hot. Can you listen to that message from your knee?

Your son is coming to see his Mum, and you can have plenty of time together while you are resting. You'll have a lovely scar to show him and you can play the sympathy card for all it's worth. Let your boy know what a brave mother he has!

Of course, you want to take him places and you probably will - but you're not a super-hero, so be sure to plan to rest as well. And plan for extra-long days of resting after he has gone home.
 
As usual, @Celle has some great advice.
 
Well I think today I can honestly say that I have gone into a depression. I have no significant difficulties in recovery, so I am not dealing with anything out of the ordinary but I am not dealing with anything.

I get up and get overwhelmed just thinking about doing my job, a job I had just started and love and was doing well in the mere two months ago.

If I let myself start to get upset I end up just crying for an hour and then trying to decide what I can actually do and control to make this desperate feeling go away. I had pain before so it's not like I have pain that I didn't have to deal with but the pain was not every minute all the time. And right now do I have pain? No probably more sore and tight but sharp stabbing pains, not anymore. I wanted to text my husband and just told him I hate this I don't want to do it anymore and I wish I had never done this surgery but I thought he has done so much and so patient I can't lay this on him too so I guess you guys get to be the recipients of my vent and pity party!

I know there is no quick or easy answer to what I'm going through, I just question myself so much anymore and it is getting to be old. Anyway that is how my Monday has started thanks for reading....


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
tams om. I am right there with you girl I had tkrl on 4/21/2014 and I am going through the same thing. my pt says I am doing well but my mind is saying I should be able to do more. I have been the super mom juggling everything and now this surgery throws a major wrench into what we can do. I am really trying like yourself but I feel depressed and cry often. I am also thinking of not being able to go back to work.
we can do this. we are strong women who have just encountered a minor bump in our daily lives. we will get there withe help of this forum
 
Celle, your encouragement was right on. I have again tried to put too much on my plate this week.

Achy today and no energy. Late nights with Tyler home and the last day of school for my daughter don't help.

I just have to stay positive, easier said then done.


4/1/2014 TKR
 
@Tamsmom I hear you. It is sooooo hard. My youngest son is getting married in a couple of weeks and I should be happy and all I can think about is how madam knee will do. All the questions just swirl around in my head all around this silly knee. I hope you can be kind ....to you! We really will get there. :console2:
 
I spent 12 hours away from home and for the most part ice yesterday. My daughter was in our state high school track meet in Omaha.
We left home at 9 am. Pulled in the garage about 930 pm.

I took some pain meds but other than that....I survived and no worse for wear thisornibg


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Tamsmom that is wonderful. sounds like the knee is cooperating. how did your daughter do in the tournament and how far was the drive.
 
Well her relay team didn't so their best but it was an awesome experience for the girls. My daughter tied her PR for her leg of the 1600m relay with 62.8.
The drive to Omaha is about 2 hours. I walked (slowly) a decent distance from where we parked and went up and down a flight of stairs about 5 times, and even stood at the finish like for about 20 min. I was sore by the time I was done at the meet but it wasn't unbearable and it didn't linger. I was pleasantly surprised and encouraged.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
that is a good time. just making it to states is an accomplishment sounds like you are moving in a positive direction with your knee. glad to hear it
 
Ha, jokes on me....my knee just feels sore and the scar is really bugging me tonight, it hasn't for a few wee
Is been this sensitive.

I hope tomorrow is better, the top of the knee feels like I just fell and scraped it.


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Hi Tamsmom

OK. You overdid it a bit. There's probably no long-term harm done. Just do lots of extra resting , icing, elevating, and let your knee recover. You've joined the ODIC - the Over Did It Club - it's an easy club to join and there are so many members. :heehee:

Congratulations to your daughter, by the way!
 
Hi everyone,
I just went back and read my recovery thread...8 weeks out as of yesterday!

Really for the most part the knee and leg have been doing pretty good this week. On Tylenol during the and adding the oxy at night and occasionally during the day!

Things that were a big deal but now they are t inclde.
- sleeping in bed, yep I do all the time and roll over fairly easily
-sitting down for long periods of time- I went to a 6 hour meeting today and when I would get up to take a break, no real stiffness occurred.
-crying daily, haven't cried at least in regards to my knee for days
- that real sensitive feeling you have around the scar, hasn't felt like that for 2 weeks...although tonight it is bugging me a little bit

The past week or so I feel like things are improving! Not a large amount of pain but still have some swelling

So chins up if you Re a few weeks behind a 4/1/14 surety date, progress is happening!


4/1/2014 TKR
 
I feel like the last few nights I go to bed and just can't quit moving my legs around...weird and annoying! It's like a anxious antsy feeling, any clues or ideas?

I have taken a muscle relaxer so I can't add that to help!


4/1/2014 TKR
 
@Tamsmom thanks for the reassurance. I will be six weeks out Monday and I am really looking forward to this getter easier. Don't get me wrong I feel I am doing well for what I have been through but I am not a patient person.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom