Guest viewing is limited

Swelling? Can't figure out why....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Tamsmom, just wanted to poke into your thread to say thankyou for writing it!! I am just over 6 weeks out of BTKR and in the middle of the terrible 'depression' period. To hear your emotions at that time, and how you are feeling now has made me feel so much more hopeful. I too was a VERY active person until my knees, and it crept up on me over about 5 years I think. At the moment, I just can't even imagine that I will be better than before, I just want any kind of normality in my life back - but to think that in maybe 1-2 months I could be wandering around the shops and finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, now thats exciting. Thanks for sharing.
 
Hi @Tamsmom!

Haven't heard from you in a bit. Hope all is well!

How was your trip and the wedding? I am anxious to hear all about it!

Do you have plans for this weekend? We will be watching FIFA and feeding our two younger lads' friends - I think I will have 4 extra children starting tomorrow at 11:00 am until Sunday at 4:00 pm. My hubby will be doing all of the cooking and will be here for when the kids swim so it does not really affect me much.

Drop a line when you have the time. Look forward to "chatting" with you soon.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Spider, thanks for posting....it is good to see how others farther down the road cooed with the stage you are finding yourself at!

This surgery and recovery are hard! Very hard and I didn't have any complications or extenuating circumstances...

I would say it was early to mid June before I knew I was eventually going to be ok! I feel good most of the time now, I still POP Tylenol in the morning, more out if habit!

You will get there!
Right after surgery I had some very funny posts on Facebook! I was keeping my friends in stitches every day about silly things happening with the knee replacement but I was really struggling with my emotions being all over the place, depression, pain, uncertainty. I started a evening gratitude post, and the first few were on my wall for everyone to see and then I made them private because I needed to just write down something to be thankful for...try it, you will be surprised how much it helps! And reach out!


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Hi @Tamsmom, just checking in to say hello and to see how you are doing.

I have always been big on writing down 3 things I am thankful for before the day ends. It keeps me grounded and positive. I also trained my staff, when I was managing, to do the same. Working in commission sales can be a tough haul when you are new and I found this helped them to build confidence and focus on the positive aspects of their day. My middle son is a bit of a glass half empty kind of boy so I think I will get him to do the same.

What are your plans for the weekend? Hope you have a good one!

Take care!
:flwrysmile:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Swelling? Can't figure out why....
Counting our blessings is a wonderful exercise. Really helps us to accentuate the positives in our lives, and we are often amazed at how good things really are.
 
I am just over 6 weeks out of BTKR and in the middle of the terrible 'depression' period.

@Spider --these BTKR's are challenging and require great inner-strength---but I know that you will reach deep down inside yourself and find it.

I remember standing in by my front living room window and just watching the world go by---wondering when and if I was going to be OK.

At the moment, I just can't even imagine that I will be better than before, I just want any kind of normality in my life back
You will be---trust me, you will be bacvk to normal. It takes time, and it take patience. I wondered much the same, and life is great.

I have no doubts that yours will be wonderful, too!
 
Hi @Tamsmom - checking in to say hello.
How are you doing?
Hey @71Beetle! Gosh this is a quick moving site when you aren't around much!
Life has been busy and tough, my father in law died at the end of July, he was 90 but sharp as a tack until his passing, my husband really misses him and he get to deal with the estate and it sucks! My brother in law was diagnosed at the same time with inoperable brain cancer...he is now down at MD Anderson Cancer Center to hopefully get some life prolonging treatment. I had an appointment all set for my second replacement and now Blue Cross Blue Shield and Catholic Health Ervices are fighting and my doctors and hospital won't be in network come September 1st. Hopefully it will get better soon


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Hi @Tamsmom, I am so sorry to hear of your father-in-law's passing and your brother-in-law's diagnosis. Sounds like you have had a heck of a summer.

I had an appointment all set for my second replacement and now Blue Cross Blue Shield and Catholic Health Ervices are fighting and my doctors and hospital won't be in network come September 1st.

What does all of this mean? Is it about paying for the surgery? I hope it gets sorted out soon. When are you expecting to get your second surgery? How is the recovery from the surgery in April going?

Hope you have a nice long weekend! Take care!
 
Hope you are doing well @Tamsmom!
Have you got the date of your next surgery sorted out?
How is your brother-in-law doing?
Thinking about you...
:flwrysmile:
 
Hey everyone! Life has been busy and the new left knee has been doing pretty good but a few weeks ago my knee and ankle swelled up and it won't go down! I thought it had to do with traveling but that was two weeks ago and it is still swelled up. No pain just stiff, my pants are fitting snug on my left leg.

My knee replacement was April 1st and I had wanted to do my remaining knee in November but we are having issues with BCBS in our state not renewing their contract with a group if hospitals I our state and my surgeon only operates at these hospitals, so instead of being all payed for because of my earlier surgery I would have about$25,000 put of pocket....I don't know if I should look for a doctor tat doesn't use those hospitals to do the surgery or just wait until next year and pay....ugh! I am so mad and sad!

But any thoughts on the unexplained swelling?


4/1/2014 TKR
 
You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it by using the Thread Tools button at the top right of your screen or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.

Do you know what you did that caused the initial swelling? There most likely was an event or activity that was either painful or new to you. It would be helpful if you could recall what that was. Then....once the swelling happened, have you stayed off your leg, rested, iced and taken something for the pain (remember that stiffness is a form of pain)?
 
If it continues, I would check with the OS---mine has an Urgent Care that is staffed by the PAs which is pretty convenient.
 
Thanks jamie, I didn't know for sure about making a new post or merge, I wanted people to notice a new topic!

I do not remember anything that might have triggered this swelling. I did fly to Vegas and was on my feet a lot but I had flown a few other times before this and didn't have any swelling issues. I also thought if that was the reason it would get better when I got home, it hasn't.

It is tough to stop and rest , ice and elevate when it doesn't hurt. My sister who is a PT told me to wear some support hose at least at night, guess I will get some.

I do have an appointment with my OS next week, I will discuss then.

I am going to check out all my old buddies, I have told so many people about this website, I hope they learned as much here as I did! And I hope I get to recover soon from another replacement


4/1/2014 TKR
 
The other thing to check out is Lymphatic massage. I went to see a therapist and she really helped me with the swelling. I also wore support hose---I wore thigh high ones, you need to get over the knee for the most effective reduction of swelling. I found some footless ones that I really liked. I just found them in my sock drawer today and wondered at first what in the world they were!!
 
I would definitely check out your options re: changes in insurance/hospitals for next year so you can make the best decision.
good luck with the swelling. If you start getting worse or weirder symptoms don't hesitate to call your doc's office and check it out before your appointment.
 
I know I have a thread somewhere but I can't find it! Anyway, my leg is starting to swell more all the time! Do I need to see doctor?


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Hi @Tamsmom
You're other thread is Swelling? Can't figure out why....HERE
You can find them on your profile page.
Let's merge them so there is only one recovery thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom