Swelling? Can't figure out why....

Status
Not open for further replies.
bottom part of my leg purchased "waking up"
I don't understand this. Is it predictive texting at it again?
Josephine... Can you steer me in the right direction or inform me about possible nerve pain or just the fact that maybe my nerves along my knee and bottom part of my leg purchased "waking up" I feel like my leg has a tingling and annoying feeling, not so much painful but I guess I can describe it how you are feeling when the Novocain wears off after you've had something done by the dentist.
Is this a normal occurrence?
Depends where it is exactly.

Can you tell me the exact site of this sensation using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Swelling? Can't figure out why....


[Bonesmart.org] Swelling? Can't figure out why....
 
LF3 and LF4-D,E,
If you mean that I am guessing by the comment "predictive texting" yes that is what I am doing. It feels like when we have dental work and the numbness of the Novocain has worn off.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,
I have my first check up with my surgeon on Thursday... I had my surgery two and half hours away from where I live, so I have not seen him yet. I just know that I'm going to get in my appointment and not remember to ask questions and have a dialogue with him that is productive.

I really do think my recovery has been pretty standard, nothing extremely eventful but I can't just go in the appointment and shake my head a few times and then walk out. I am assuming he will take x-rays and we will get to see a full picture of what is inside my legs now other than that I don't know what to expect.

Any thoughts, questions, suggestions to make this a learning time for me to be greatly appreciated.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
At my first appt, the nurse took out my staples, he checked my incision, and he looked over my PT reports. I was at 95% and 0%. His goal is 80% by three weeks. I see him again towards the end of May.
 
When my nerves "woke up" I had intermittent feelings like that. Kind of "zing, zing, zing, zing"--not painful exactly but annoying while it's going on.
 
When my nerves "woke up" I had intermittent feelings like that. Kind of "zing, zing, zing, zing"--not painful exactly but annoying while it's going on.
Thanks kneeper.... My physical therapist said it was probably my nerves waking up but of course I want people here to validate that for me!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] Swelling? Can't figure out why....
@Tamsmom, You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you're worried that your question or concern will not get an immediate answer, you can always tag an admin or mod.

If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it using the Thread Tools button at the top right of the page or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you. THANKS!

If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?
 
@bottomshollow, please change my thread title to "phase 2 recovery, how to be patient"
Thank you, I was told to show where I was experiencing pain but never received a response when I posted the areas.
Using this same graph I am now experiencing off and on pain in the RF-1... My pain meds are 5 mg oxycodone every 4 hours and 1000 mg extra strength Tylenol every 6 hours. I do usually take 10 mg of oxycodone at bed.




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I changed your thread title for you.

As for your pain that you indicate is RF-1, are you saying it's all the way up and down your leg? RF-1 A-H??? If not, we need you to say what letters (A - H) mark the pain area.
 
I knew I would not remember the correct numbers and letters!

RF1-A, not a large area at all.
Thank you @Jamie


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
That high up, it almost certainly is soft tissue. Sometimes there is pain from the tourniquet, but at 4 weeks that's a bit late for it. Was it there from the beginning or did it just come up? At any rate, I don't feel it is anything to be concerned about, but I'll tag @Josephine just to be sure.
 
Thanks @Jamie and @Josephine....any different or new pain has me paranoid, hopefully this too shall pass!




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ouch, my knee hurts tonight and I had strung together 3 pretty good days....,more swelling tonight, muscles tight, and I can really "feel" the replacement knee....does that make sense?

Just when I start to think I might come thru this my mom has a major health crisis, she has congestive heart failure, and was diagnosed with COPD...she has always taken extremely good care of her health (unlike her daughter) so we are all n shock. I need to get emotionally stable for her and my dad and it is all just hard...


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sure it makes sense!!! This road to recovery is not a straight line. You will have good days and bad, often for no rhyme or reason. Just treat whatever is going on and go with it! In this case, when you hurt, it's time to reduce the activity and up the pain meds and ice. Sometimes massaging your knee area will help diffuse the pain too. I used to do that a LOT in the middle of the night when I'd wake up hurting, take pain meds and wait for them to kick in.

So very sorry about your mom's diagnosis. I understand how you must feel. Although my dad was my mom's primary caregiver for most of the time when she was ill, it was my job to be strong for both of them. Hang in there....things will level out here soon.
 
Hi @Tamsmom I can't believe I haven't ever posted here. I am sad because we have had so many of the same questions and I missed connecting at the time it was happening. But I am going to respond anyway...better late..(I know we have posted on other threads, but you bring up such good questions. I slept in my bed alone, actually still in that same bed. I think I already told you some of this. I made a sort of recliner with PILES of pillows to elevate and then about 3-4 to sit up. I sat up to sleep for weeks. I had a lot of trouble getting comfortable. I longed to be on my right side. I now can do that. One morning about 3 weeks ago, I woke up with an excruciating pain in my "new" knee. I was sure I had "broken it". Amazingly, walking on it for about 30 mins and it resolved. Also, I wish I had known about your pain from your bum down to your foot. I had that so intensely. I thought it was sciatic nerve pain from sitting so awkwardly to ice. When I read other comments, it sounds like it may be the hamstrings. My PT, Chiro. never even mentioned that it may be that. ???? Did your pain resolve? My other knee is so over having to take all the load. I REALLY can't imagine a second one. This has been way more than I ever imagined. I don't think my life circumstances would allow it anyway. I have so many thoughts about how unprepared I was. This site helped a lot, but I don't know if anyone can prepare you for the level of pain involved. Well, @Tamsmom I think this is my longest post. Hope it is okay.
 
I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I will keep her in my prayers. Please take care - things will get better!
 
I'm so sorry your mom's not doing well. It's hard to concentrate on your own recovery when you are worried about someone you love. Take good care of yourself.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom