Swelling? Can't figure out why....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I quit having melt downs once I got off of narcotics. I would take Extra Strength Tylenol during the day and a lower dose of narcotics with one Tylenol at night before bed. Occasionally I would take a low dose of narcotics after therapy. I have taken Celebrex for over a year and that is a big help, too.
 
I accidentally went over 7 hours without my oxycodone today and boy did I pay for it. I just started taking Tylenol today...I am hoping to stretch out the amount of time between narcotics but I went way to long today. I forgot it at home and got stuck at my office longer than I had planned.

I love my water PT and I think I am going to try going to the Y to supplement it, although I now the water won't be as warm.
has anyone had a tool used to help break-up their scar? GT3 is what the PT called it....didn't like it at all, I told her my knee modeling days were over and I didn't really care what the scar looked like.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I haven't heard of GT3. What did it do?
 
Hurt! I am googling the little piece of metal and I will get back to you.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Graston technique and the 3 has to do with what tool they use...I don't know if it will be helpful. My therapist knew I didn't like it last time so she did it softer today so it was quite so bad.

"A form of soft tissue mobilization that detects and breaks up scar tissue that impedes normal function of muscles"

We
Will
See


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am a side sleeper.


so I have trouble. I have made my bed a sort of recliner with lots of pillows at the head of the bed and under my operative knee as the photo shows. It works. I sleep better. I crave the time when I will be able to comfortably sleep on my side again. There is no way at present to do that. My leg, IT band hurts terribly if I try. Something to look forward to hopefully.


~~hopefaith~~
 
I asked my PT about the graston technique and she said they don't do that per se because none of them have been trained in that method. She did say they do a similar method but use golf balls and foam rollers and such to help mold that scar tissue. I have had at the chiropractor something similar to the tool you're talking about used on my back for a huge knot in one of my muscles. Most painful think ever and left me with nasty bruises. Never again. Foam rollers and golf balls I'll accept and I know my PT will be gentle.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Tamsmom, I saw a video on Youtube using those tools. I asked my p/t about it and he said he didn't recommend that treatment. Not sure why. Looked painful. My p/t used massage therapy.
 
@hopefaith, Have you tried a body pillow to sleep on your side? I had my left knee replaced and I could only sleep on my right side with my left leg on top of the pillow. Couldn't sleep on the left side for quite a while.
 
I would be interested to hear why your P.T doesn't recommend it...my sis is a PT and she just calls it the newest gadget but nothing special...hey they can bill another unit of manual therapy!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I would be interested to hear why your P.T doesn't recommend it...my sis is a PT and she just calls it the newest gadget but nothing special...hey they can bill another unit of manual therapy!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Maybe not recommended because it sounds tough on the knee? It assumes that everyone gets adhesions that need breaking up - but everyone doesn't!

Sad to say (or good to say), most knees heal themselves beautifully, with just gentle exercise and without much physiotherapy.
 
Well I just might not have done the smartest thing ever... Rode in the car 2 hours each direction to watch my daughters track meet. So was outside for about 5 in windy and cold conditions. We will see how I pay for this tomorrow.
I did stay on pain meds, iced a few times and propped leg up in the back seat.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Tamsmom, here's a
[Bonesmart.org] Swelling? Can't figure out why....
for you. You're probably going to need it today. But I'm betting that you feel it was worth it anyway.
 
Sounds like you still need to be on a 6 hours schedule with the oxycodone. One alternative is to ask for a less strong narcotic to sort of "step down" before moving to only tylenol. That's what I did.
 
Tuesday is 5 weeks and I have to start back to work part time. I just don't know how this should look....I am my own boss,I should be in my office daily, right now my PT is scheduled MWF at 1030.

Any suggestion show to ease back into the work force and NW to structure my week?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
A bath,will it make me feel better or worse in the long run?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am just sore....PT and a few hours at my office desk. I have iced off and on for the last 4.5 hours and I just ache....and I think my nerves are coming back around my néw knee...burning tingling, could the nerves take with is long to wake up? I am sore for the first time behind my knee...ugh! I took 2- 5mg of oxycodone tonight instead of the 1 I have been taking through out the day.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wow, I can't wait till 7 weeks...I told myself go everyday and if it's on,y an hour that's ok. I can do some of the work from home.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Josaphine... Can you steer me in the right direction or inform me about possible nerve pain or just the fact that maybe my nerves along my knee and bottom part of my leg purchased "waking up" I feel like my leg has a tingling and annoying feeling, not so much painful but I guess I can describe it how you are feeling when the Novocain wears off after you've had something done by the dentist.

Is this a normal occurrence?

I go for my follow up with my surgeon tomorrow, and no I will get in there and not have any questions which if I really think hard I should!

What should I be asking him?




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom