Guest viewing is limited

Swelling? Can't figure out why....

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a bad end to a good weekend...I admittedly did too much. At the time is never feels like too much but boy does one pay in one way or another at the end of the day! I tried to go to bed in my bed last night which if you all have read has not happened yet. But I had a good nap in it earlier in the afternoon so I was excited to laying there and fell asleep last night. Well in all the effort it took to get comfortable I never did and I think I aggravated my sciatic nerve. That pain in your butt goes all the way down to your foot because my behind hurt and in the bottom of my foot hurts. I gave up and my dear husband helped me move my bedside meds alarms iPad charger etc. back to the living room and I calmed down and slept okay for the night. Still a little sore but I upped my meds to help with the pain.
I am so excited to get into the therapeutic pool today, I used to actually work at the clinic I am using and worked with pool patients running timers and going through their exercise routine with them and also while I was trying to save my knees I used the pool with an independent program so I have something to look forward to!
When I was having my meltdown I reread the article about Post op Depression that was provided to me and if you had a things as a reminder that I am still just now getting to three weeks. And even though you feel good for a day or two and people applaud you and say you come so far you really have to slow down .
I have to commit to a few hours here and there this week to my job, I know it's not the best but it is dollars that an requirement that I have to fulfill to keep my position. I really did not give myself a chance to prepare mentally or physically for the surgery and although at the time I thought I was okay I look back now and realize I did myself a lot disservice by not being better prepared.
So if you're new and reading this and thinking you can do it all let me remind you that you can't! And just as soon as you think you can you will it a roadblock and that's ok!
sLOW as it goes it really does change in a daily basis!

Question of the day...sciatic nerve? Is she just waking up or do I have a new issue to deal with?
 
Hi - are you sure that awful ache is not hamstring pain? I told my PT early on that I thought the pain down the back of my leg from posterior to ankle was sciatica, but they thought it more likely that it was hamstring and the other odd muscle aches and pains (calf/ankle/shin .... I have ached everywhere) are more as a result of the slightly odd ways that we walk when we are learning to do it again without a limp. I think in the early days you sit/sleep/walk in the most convenient and comfortable way - but sometimes those muscles are just not used to doing it like that, and protest. I know from your thread that you have problems getting comfortable enough to sleep in bed - when the back of my leg was hurting like that I found the flatter I could sleep the better the pain, and resting my op leg on a pillow that supported my thigh knee and leg was comforting (although hospital told me not to).
 
I have read the articles, the one about elevation, when I say I don't understand, I mean I don't get why it is so uncomfortable, I use the three pillow method.
Are you trying lay with you knee dead straight? That is very uncomfortable and causes pain in the hamstrings.

[Bonesmart.org] Swelling? Can't figure out why....


I always recommend sleeping or elevating with just a small bend in the knee which is fine.
A pillow stack is best, I always think

[Bonesmart.org] Swelling? Can't figure out why....
 
I will give this another try tonight. Even with the tough end of the weekend I have therapy today and managed better range of motion and a one or 2% positive being straight so everything progress but it's never a lot that has to be okay with me!

Nap time!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @ tamsmom, I have been reading your recovery with interest. I am almost 4 weeks post op and having slept on my left side for about 15 years due to spinal problems and sciatic nerve damage I have really struggled the past weeks to get any sleep. I have been sleeping on my back with 3 pillows initially and then 2 stacked. I have found it horrendous and did try last week to get myself in a comfy position with the advice of some bs friends but I turned one side and then another and eventually got myself in so much pain I had to go back to sleeping on my back. It really sounds too me like you are trying to do way too much around the house. I am only just starting to do bits of washing up and maybe cleaning the bathroom but if I stand for more than 10 minutes at a time I come up so so hot I feel like I'm going to pass out. I have also had fits of tears and the slightest thing upsets or irritates me greatly that I find ITV almost overwhelming. Hubby has been out today and bought me a cross stitch to keep me a bit more occupied but even that is tiring after too much concentration. Slow and steady is definitely the way to go and I have learnt such a lot from the great people on this forum. Good luck with your hydrotherapy. I'm not allowed to do that yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Aqua therapy felt good today....we will see if I feel that way still tonight.

I would kill for a mild calf massage right now. But I don't think I should ask my hubby for anything else, he works 10-11 hours a day and then comes home and works here to keep things going to.




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
That's great @Tamsmom, glad the aqua therapy is working out well. It's hard for our families isn't it, I hate to see my hubby and kids rushing around trying to keep the house ticking over. Infact, I actually didn't realize how much I did at home til there was no one there to keep it up to date. Now I'm quite proud how well I normally keep my home in order. As I have said to them all 'normal service will be resumed as soon as possible' :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Has anyone experienced blood clots? I know I am being extreme but just wondering why my lower calf has a dull ache in it today.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Tamsmom, No, but I was on heparin injections for 2 weeks after my surgery. They did keep checking In the hospital but I am still getting huge aches and pains down my leg which I have been told is to be expected. Xx

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
I'm 3 weeks BTKR post op and can hardly wait to use a pool for therapy. I still have Two small scabs on one of my incisions so I'll have to wait for that to heal before using the gym pool. We have a pool in our backyard but it's only 70 degrees and that is just way too cold. Hopefully by June that one will be warm enough. Our pool is only 3.5 feet deep so it's perfect for doing exercises plus it's so convenient to be close. ill have to do some research on good exercises to do in the water.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I h
Was on lovenox for two weeks so the blood clot idea is just me thinking too much!
If your clinic has Tagaderm you should be able to get in the water, but of course it is up to the clinic.

I don't know about everyone else but the weekend wiped me put. I really want to go to daughters track meet but the drive is 1.5 hour each way. My friend would drive you suburban and would do whatever I needed to be comfortable...am I crazy?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes! You're not three weeks out yet! Much to early to be gadding about. Sorry, but your responsibility right now should be on healing which means rest!
 
Ugh...today I just hurt. PT hurt and they knew I was stiff and tried to be gentle but it still no matter what we did the knee would not loosen up. My therapist was not worried, she reminded me they would be days that I went backwards but done it those days think!
How much longer do I have to wear these question how this? I'm hoping not much longer my surgery was April 1st. I will look it up when done posting.
We had thunderstorms rolling through the area I am hoping that is what is driving the knee pain more than usual.
Is there any golfers on the site? What is a realistic time. That I can hope to swing a golf club?
 
Lick my leg feeling so stiff and tight tonight, should I even try to loosen it up with a little gentle range of motion exercises?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
dogwheels, my PT said the same thing you are sharing here that the pain was hamstring and relearning to walk as we avoided that side for so long in our ore surgery life because it hurt to use that side..


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oops so sorry that should read pre surgery side. Apparently, pain pills and small Iphone key pads are not good combinations.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
How much longer do I have to wear these question how this?
Excuse please? This is obviously a case of predictive texting attack but I need an interpretation! I assume you are referring to your TEDs hose? To be honest, I ditched mine on the 4th day as they made horrendous deep blue marks on my leg, obviously acting like a tourniquet, which I felt was more of a hazard than being without them. There is also a quantity of evidence that they don't do what they're supposed to anyway and the incidence of DVT/PE is no greater if they are not used. IOW, it's up to you!
Lick my leg feeling so stiff and tight tonight, should I even try to loosen it up with a little gentle range of motion exercises?
No! Just rest, elevate and ice it - and take you pain meds. Do remember that pain comes in many guises including soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling, tightness and stiffness.
 
Oh yeah, you have to read between the lines with my typing!

TED hose....how long recommended? I would love to ditch them but don't have the guts to...my sis the PT says 6 weeks... I am not asking her questions like this anymore!

I can finally prop my leg without extreme discomfort! I will try and make this a bigger part of my recovery! I snuck out and drove today,

I have decided since it is my left knee that was replaced driving isn't as much as the issue as to be able to park close I don't have a handicap sticker so if a walk down a little block did me in the other day the huge Walmart parking lot will like me. I am just so tired of being at everyone's mercy! Love husband to death but he checks out throughout the day, and he leaves home to go to work he does not think about home again until he is driving there at the end of the day.




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I wore mine for 6 weeks, as was recommended. Like you I just followed orders......
 
Well, you know what - you're grown-ups. It's your choice!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom