Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

It's unfair--and unnecessary--for him to put pressure on you like that. When I saw my OS, Lefty's extension was either 1 or 2, depending on who measured it. He said it would get to 0 on its own if I kept walking every day, which I do because I like it. That's what it takes. Time. Walking. A few exercises thrown in to help speed the process along. It just burns me to see doctors (who should know better) do the No Pain = No Gain thing. Those hamstrings are big, tough tendons and don't stretch overnight, no matter how much stress is put on them.
 
Susie, you are such an uplifting poster! All those coming up behind you are bound to find encouragement from your writings!
 
Just....:wow: Your recovery continues to inspire, encourage and amaze!

Walk, Susie, walk!
 
Way to go SusieShoes! In Canada we have Tim Horton's coffee shops about on every corner or at least within a mile or two. Their coffee would entice me to walk a mile for it! Good on you!
 
I'm a walking fool. :walking: I remember back around week 3-4 when my OS sent me his exercise guidelines and one was to walk 1000 feet, 3 times a day. I was still using a walker, and my first thought was "You've got to be kidding." At the time, I thought I was doing good walking to the bathroom... and back.

So I said to Mr. Shoes, "We're taking a walk. Help me down the front steps." Because walker. And we walked to the end of our short driveway. "I need to go further," said I, so we walked to one of the neighbor's driveways. And that was it. That was all I could do. I had to go back home. And I felt so defeated, because no way had I walked 1000 feet. Maybe 100.

"I've got to work on the walking," I said.

"You're doing great." Mr. Morale Support never lets me down.

"Not great enough to walk 1000 feet."

The point being I started out not meeting the goal my OS set out for me. It took me a couple weeks to work up to walking that far. Which isn't far at all. A football field. But it seemed impossible at first. I told him that the last time we met, when he released me from PT, said I was doing great, and would see me in a year. He smiled and said, "It's the best exercise. I want people to do a lot of it."

Which, when you get right down to it, is why I had the surgery. :running:
 
@SusieShoes - you continue to do great and inspire! What a great success story and proof of the value of walking. My motivation is similar to yours - I want to walk and enjoy our vacations, go for a walk with the grandkids to the local park, and enjoy a day at the zoo without my granddaughter trying to help me with my cane as I struggle to get up a hill.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Three Months: Morning After Thoughts

So I woke up this morning and both knees are ever so slightly sore and I had a few thoughts. One is that there's a difference between stiff and sore. My knees are not especially stiff. This is new and may not mean anything, because it could be that by being sore, my knees simply aren't feeling the stiff. So naturally I'm thinking about the sore. As sore goes, it's really very little, but just new enough I feel compelled to figure it out.

Perhaps it's because of that longer walk yesterday, though I'm thinking not. This doesn't feel like walking sore and I did a short walk this morning, just to loosen them up--right?--but it's stiff that loosens, not sore. So nothing much happened. No stiff and still a little sore. But I'm walking just fine, that aside. So while it could be that the coffee run to Wawa did it, I'm not convinced. There's another possibility.

Last night Mr. Shoes and I enjoyed a marathon session of connubial bliss. Mind you, we've been connubially blissful since the end of week 3--["Should we be doing this?" "I don't know, but it's working, so let's keep doing it!"]--but have been ever so mindful of, yes, the knees.

The knees, you see, started out quite fussy about things like positioning, and moving around, and, well, just about everything. If you've had TKR, you know what I mean. Just multiply it times two for both knees. And Lefty has been a pill until very recently. This last week, however, Lefty has been a happy camper, and one just assumes a happy camper means all systems are go. And they were. Playful is as playful does, and one thing leads to another, to another, and all of it's good. And it was. Good time had by all, including my legs and knees, which got massaged and handled and didn't complain at all. Not once.

This morning, though... a little sore. Is it because I laid on my front for that lovely massage? I hadn't done that since my surgery, much less for so long. At one point I did need to bend my knees because they just seemed to want that. So maybe lying on my tummy. Was it the massage itself? At no point were my knees squeezed, merely stroked with oil, but it could be that the deeper massage of the calf and thigh muscles disturbed whatever is healing near the joints. So maybe massage. As for the rest of the encounter... Lord only knows. It's not like I was cataloguing movements. Nothing hurt, and yet perhaps there was some strain at some point, some minor stretch, some new contortion in the way we moved. Whatever happened, the results were worth it.

So this morning I'm icing slightly sore knees which don't hurt at all until I bend them, and thinking that having replaced knees means having entirely new sets of clues to decipher about just where my body is at.

When I was two, I deciphered clues about whether or not I needed to use the potty. When I was a teen, I deciphered clues about whether or not I was in love. Ten years ago I deciphered clues about whether or not I was in menopause... though it turned out to be menopause and endometrial cancer. This time, though, it's just clues about the current status of my newest body parts.
All systems are still go. Today, though, just a little sore. :ice:
 
your new body parts have passed a lot of tests with flying colours and no doubt, this one too. you'll have to keep note as to how long it takes to recover from the soreness and hopefully you didn't strain anything too much. in this case, would you say a little "gain" is worth a little "strain" lol? it's nice to see another cancer survivor, the emphasis on "survivor". hope you can enjoy your daily walk a little later.
 
I did enjoy my shorter walk, and plan to walk a bit more later. One reason for shorter walks today is that the temperature is already warm. I glow entirely too much when the temperature is above 75. :heehee:

A little gain is always worth a little strain. What's the point of having new knees if they can't do the things that make one happy? That's the whole point of going through all this inconvenience! LOL So I don't mind at all if they get tested once in a while.

My cancer was found very early thanks to my super-vigilant gynecologist. Surgery and no chemo or radiation, for which I am thankful.
 
Another great post Susie. So glad the new knees have been up to all the important parts of life so far. I expect the soreness will be short-lived but the appreciation for what they, and you, can now do is endless. Enjoy the "day after."
 
Day 3 after pt attack. Decided to be really good staying elevated and icing today till its time for work. I do keep making progress that makes me happy and will forgive myself for letting pt do this to me. You never know if you can handle the exercise till maybe the day after and there is no undoing the damage. SusieShoes i would love to be walking again! And will soon, its also too hot for me in Raleigh, NC. Your morning walking sounds great! I cannot wair to put my new knee to work. Im supposed to go see John Mayer August 15. Think ill get a handicapped parking permit so i can manage....
 
@SusieShoes , you give me SO much hope! My bilateral surgery is days away...Monday at 7 a.m....have to be there at 5:30 a.m. ( and its 60 miles away! ). A strange calm has come over me, but am a bit overwhelmed trying to get everything done...house cleaned, meals made, power recliner purchased, etc. It's like I have constant clock in my head ticking :) So grateful to this forum for preparing me, and knowing what to buy, what to expect. I have to say I am rather tired of the gasping and expressions on someone"s face when i say I am having both down at once :yikes:
 
@dogluvr, I'm glad I can give you hope! Embrace that calm. It's a good sign that you're mentally ready. My OS called recovery from BTKR "intense" and you'll soon find out what that means. Lots of bilateral recovery threads on here to bear it out also. We're a resolute and blithely positive bunch.

Once you have the new knees, you'll get all kinds of positive reinforcement from nurses and other medical staff who understand your fortitude. I always got a kick out of the other patients in PT who'd get wide-eyed. "You did BOTH?" And you'll meet a surprising number of other people who had both done, and share bilateral war stories, which are pretty much identical to single TKR stories except for the part about shocking folks about the both part. :rotfl:
 
I am one of those who are wide-eyed and gasp.

Brave AND resolute...and you have to be positive trying this option.
 
[Bonesmart.org] SusieShoes' New Knees
Today was a busy one. Haircut. Grocery shopping. Then because it's Family Saturday, we drove an hour to SIL for a family birthday and games. While there our niece wanted to show us a local field of sunflowers.

The knees held up beautifully for the short walk from parking to the field and back. We took pictures and spent time at a farmers market. Summer at its best.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom