Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

While at my doctor appointment last week my DH picked up a brochure that talked about "connubial bliss" after TKR. it was pretty much x-rated with pictures! I guess they decided instead of answering questions they would just give people a brochure. Of course, as soon as my husband picked it up, the doctor walks in, lol.
 
No trips to some countries then?
[Bonesmart.org] SusieShoes' New Knees
:chinstroke:
 
That looks a lot like what came up when I tried to research this topic on the internet, @Arttie. You do know that's for a toilet, right? I had to look that up and... yeah, a Japanese squat toilet. Probably not the best for TKR patients!

Connubial bliss is a very important consideration (at least for some). It's good to know some doctors have brochures. It's something. The internet on this topic is not very helpful. Definitely a lack of creativity in this area.
 
I've travelled in countries with the squat toilets and looking forward to less pain after TKR with that squatting!
 
Three Months: Side Sleepin'

As mentioned yesterday, I was on the verge of actually sleeping through an entire night on my side--which is my preferred way to sleep since I was, oh, five years old--when I was rudely interrupted at 1:30 am by a falling tree and emergency vehicles. After which my knees were unable to be happy in any position except on my back with them propped on the Lounge Doctor.:umm:

So last night I said, "Let's try this again."

And... it worked! I woke once in the wee hours to use the bathroom but went right back to bed and resumed sleeping on my side. When I woke up again five hours later, I had slept the entire night on my side and not used the Lounge Doctor even once.

This is the first time since coming home from my surgery on May 10 that I have not 1) slept on my back for most if not all of the night, and 2) needed to use the Lounge Doctor. For whatever reason, I cannot sleep on my back if my legs are flat. But to sleep on my side... I've found my happy place again! I can snuggle against nice, warm Mr. Shoes and curl into sleep.

Lefty woke up a little cranky this morning (what else) but settled down once I started moving. Mostly. We had a talk.

Lefty: "But I like being elevated above the other body parts."

Me: "You're a knee. Your natural position for sleep is to be on the same level as the other body parts. Stop being a princess."

Lefty: "I'm a princess!"

Me: "Oh no. I'm the princess. And right now you're being the pea under my mattress. So get a grip and learn to work well with others."

Lefty: "pffft"

Me: "Let's take a walk."

We had a nice walk, Lefty and Righty and I, and are now at home icing and elevating and listening to FIL swear at the bathtub as he gets ready for his day. Our day will consist of sitting at a desk, maybe cleaning out a closet. My knees are great these days. And now, at last, I can sleep on my side. We'll see is this is a one-night fluke, but I'm banking that it isn't.

* It's worth noting that my Lounge Doctor outlasted every other assistive device, including the cane. Also, I continue to use it for icing and elevating during the day. So it gets the award for longevity and value. It's down to pennies per use.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah for side sleeping Susie! It's not a fluke - unless you overdo it some day. I've been enjoying side sleeping for a few weeks. Granted only one TKR so have had one good side but even on the other side I can go for extended periods in the night now. Enjoy the more comfortable sleeping and the snuggling. I initially balked at the cost of the Lounge Doctor and you're right, it has been the MVP of this journey over the long haul.
 
It took me ever so long, Sooz. More than three months! You'll get there. The knees must be be obeyed, but they eventually come around to acting like knees again.
 
I just caught up on your power failure! Just dreadful especially with a confused elder in the house! OMG, been there, not good!

Apparently, I missed the class on Toilet Flushing 101? It's never been a problem with a power failure for me? Is this what happens if on well-water? Yes, I'm a city dweller....does it show? LOL! Brilliant idea though on the ...er...*Honey-Pot* @rubyyarn!

Hahaha, Mistah and I were definitely on the "Let's Wing It," list when it came to matters of connubial bliss. I think that probably made it more fun than following a surgeon's instructions.:snork:
 
@Pheebs52, someone should put together a list of helpful tips. :wink: Like creative ways to support the knee(s) early on. Should one take pain meds before... or after? Of course, "Let's Wing It" always works. Works for teens; works for us.
 
Oh Susie, right? A lot of ..er.."Teen Spirit" WAS a big factor the first go round! I went the Girl Scout route and took pain meds *before.* Didn't kneed any afterwards, lol! Since you are our resident writer, I elect you to come up with that very creative list!
 
@rubyyarn, I'm not sure we need instructions, per se. After all, most of us (probably all) have already figured out what to do and done quite a lot of it. Getting back into doing it, though, can be intimidating. Fearing pain. Fearing damaging our new parts. How to make the new parts cooperate with what we want to. That kind of thing.

I'm working on kneeling. Not there yet; need more flexion. But it will come in very handy down the line.
 
More side sleeping! I slept the whole night through, too, though cranky Lefty did wake me up a couple times demanding to be straightened and work out a tight muscle or something. It hurt to straighten but then once straight was happy again... and I went right back to sleep after changing position and adjusting my pillow. All in all, I count this as a side-sleeping success.

Yesterday I forgot to take my mid-day Tylenol. Didn't even notice and only remembered later that I'd overlooked it. Guess I don't need it. And I forgot my pre-bedtime icing. This morning the knees were just a tad stiffer than usual, but they loosened up the same and became happy campers for my morning walk. I iced after the walk, as I always do.

FIL is apparently sleeping in today. He's gotten up to use the bathroom once, so I know he's not dead. With a guy who's 94, this is a reasonable fear. Funny anecdote: He said to me yesterday that he likes the way "they" fixed my legs and he wants to have them fix his! Um... we'll ask your doctor about that, Dad. He doesn't have bad knees. He has dementia that is causing him to forget how to walk. :sad: But he sees me and thinks there's a cure.
 
Yeah for sleeping in a comfortable and familiar position! I'm in awe of you gals who have had BTKR! You are brave beyond belief! Good luck with kneeling. My #1 still does not like pressure on it. I've tried kneeling on the soft bed but he was still not happy....rather like hitting your (not) funny bone. Post how you come out!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom