Week 12: Three Months and Counting
What a great weekend. It started with a gender reveal for my niece's baby, due in December. Yes, the Big Italian Family AND all her teacher friends, and the daddy's family, and... lots of people. All of whom were crammed into the young couple's teeny, tiny apartment. Call it cozy. Call it not much sitting space. Let's just say I loaded up a plate of munchies, made myself a tall coffee, and hightailed it outside to the as-yet-undiscovered patio table and chairs (nicely shaded) where I could set up in comfort. The daddy's family joined me--ever been surrounded by chattering teachers and/or super close-knit Italians?--and we had a low-key fun time.
My knees got some attention. "You did BOTH at the same time? How did that go?" Well, I'm standing here in stylish jeans and shoes, foraging and making coffee, so... pretty good! Showed off the scars (proof of purchase) and highly recommended my surgeon and hospital. But mostly we talked about grandbabies and nursery decorations. The baby is a boy.
As for the knees, I didn't ice or elevate for nine hours, until I got home at 9 that night. Two hour car ride each way, lots of sitting and standing, and going upstairs to see how the nursery is progressing. Lots of oohing, and aahing, and eating. And the knees did really well! The party was Saturday and the knees, mostly Lefty, were a bit sore on Sunday. I skipped my walk, did the grocery shopping with Mr. Shoes, and spent the rest of the day icing, elevating, and just loafing around. Happy knees. Today they're both model citizens again.
Three months out from surgery really does make a difference. Among other things, I no longer count my new knees in terms of days, much like I would a newborn--little baby days old knees--or weeks, as if they are infants. They're definitely toddlers now, so it's time to start counting in months. Three months.
Though there's nothing magical about three months or any other kneeversary, three months is kind of a milestone. It really is, much in line with the 5-6 week milestone that--for most TKRs--marks a turning point of sorts. Then is when the surgery pain and immediate aftermath of walkers and bowel issues and disability tends to subside and the recovery period of physical therapy (however little or much) and improvement sets in for a while.
Three months is about where the majority of us realize we're over the hump. We don't need PT. We can do all our ADLs without problem. We do errands. We return to work. It feels really good to have our lives back. Some of us are pain-free, some still have a few pain issues, but we're BETTER. Some get there sooner, and some much later, but if there's an average, I think three months is in the sweet spot.
At three months, my knees and I are:
* almost completely pain-free (yes, even Lefty on most days)
* still subject to morning stiffness, and experience some stiffness upon rising from sitting or being in a car
* driving and running errands without any impediments
* going easily, though not without thought, up and down regular stairs foot over foot, preferably with handrail
* able to go without icing and elevating for a whole day if necessary, though we still like to do it a few times a day
* able to walk for 2-3 miles (haven't tried to walk longer yet) without problem
* navigating uneven surfaces such as bad sidewalks, grass, and paths
* NOT yet sleeping reliably all night on our side

Getting better... 3 hours yesterday! Just not there yet.
* forgetting on occasion that we have new knees
YES! Yesterday while carrying food out to the screen porch, and going down the one step there, I forgot I had a "good" new knee and a "worse" new knee and just had... a step to go down. I used the "wrong" knee. I just... did the step. And then I did it again later going up the steps into the house after we returned from an errand. I forgot Lefty had problems with the front steps and just... went up the step with Lefty leading. Lefty NEVER leads. I forgot my knees weren't original issue. They were pain-free in the pharmacy. They were pain-free getting in and out of the car (the regular way... one foot in car, one foot out, pull body out of car). They were pain-free going into the house.
They got stiff again after I sat down for a while. This is my new normal. The knees loosen up with a little walking, whether in the house or outside, and they feel great. But when I sit for bit, or after I sleep, stiffness reminds me my knees are still toddlers. They have a way to go. This really is a marathon recovery and I'm just finishing the first leg of the journey.
It's just... getting easier. I'm three months out of the hardest surgery I've ever gone through. For the first couple weeks I could barely walk. [I thought I was doing great just walking at all, but looking back... I could barely walk.] And now I'm not just back to normal, I'm BETTER than normal. My pre-surgery normal was, well, I could barely walk. Worse, every step hurt so bad... and I was so slow, lurching like a creature and limping, going up the stairs like a cripple. Not going out of the house because it hurt just to get in and out of the car. I could get only my body and one grocery bag up the steps. When I remember that...
Three months has gotten me to a really great new normal. I like it here. If people who are farther along than me--Hi Mom! Hi Sis! Hi friends!--tell me it's going to get better, I believe them. But for now, I really like where I am.




