Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

Oh Susie, what an inspiring, informative and affirming post for all of us in your wake! The standout line for me was, "I forgot my knees weren't original issue." What a beautiful sentence and an even better place to be. Brava!:yes!:
 
Good on you! And thank you, Susie. It makes me look forward more optimistically. Can't wait until I catch up.
 
@Arttie, oh gosh, that picture! I'm not going to try that one yet (if ever)! My surgeon told me that I would not be able to squat on my heels after the surgery, but I haven't done that for so long now that it doesn't really matter.
Nor will I be able to do the Lotus position in yoga again, but I've done it so many times in my younger and much more supple days, that it too no longer matters.
 
@becticu, you're so right about the pitfalls of comparing. My two knees have had completely different recovery journeys, and are still recovering differently. Righty might as well be a natural, original issue knee except for that slight web of stiffness. And Lefty... dear stubborn, cranky Lefty... was a painful reminder for weeks that I had a long haul ahead of me. Still reminds me. I've been comparing my two knees for weeks and bemoaning how Lefty is just not up to snuff.

I cringe to think people compare their recoveries to mine. Before surgery I read as many BTKR recovery journeys as I could, and hoping I would have @Roy Gardiner's recovery. His sounded good. On the flip side was my cousin who had an infection and months with a spacer bar. We never know what our surgery will be like or what our bodies will do as far as healing goes. All we can do is leap in with both knees!
 
@SusieShoes You inspire me! Although my RTKR was the day before yours, I am not quite yet where you are in recovery but I am "better". I am better than I was before surgery and I am better than I was 2 weeks ago and I am a LOT better than I was 11 weeks ago. Your post gives me hope that I will be better next week than this and much, much better next year! So thank you!
 
What a great report! Love reading your updates.

I have my count down to the three month mark now and had actually lost track of how many weeks I was post TKR until I had realized I was closing in on 3 months :flwrysmile:
 
Happy 3 month anniversary! Mine is coming up next week, and I'm not quite to the point of forgetting I have new knees. After pushing too much on vacation, I have had a bit of a set back with increased pain and swelling. So it's back to the basics of icing and elevating for awhile.

I am looking forward to the day of forgetting I have new knees! I know it will come sooner than later.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I forget just about everything else, so I'm sure I'll forget the knee is an imposter fairly soon, lol!

@Canada35, DH and I were talking knee-stuff (what else?) tonight and he asked if my knee felt better than it did before TKR. Well....yes, it does, even on bad days! Kneerah!
 
Three Months: Stretch Goals

Why be happy with equilibrium when you can test your (knees') limits? This morning I took that longer walk I've been wanting to try. The stars aligned in an interesting way.

First, the weather was stellar: cool and clear. Next I met the pug and its owner again. The man lives in a house across the street from the one where I encountered them the other day. I surmise this because I saw him emerge from the house with his dog, walk across the street, and let the pooch relieve itself. Not really my business, but curious. In any event, he was downright friendly today with a "Good morning" and a nod. Perhaps the sight of me carrying a cane (unlike our first encounter) softened his attitude. Who knows? Carrying grudges not being my style, I waved and "Good Morning"ed right back. The pug looked friendly, too. So that was nice.

Then I ran into my sometime walking buddy who shares my love of morning coffee and she quipped, "Are you up for getting coffee?" I don't carry money on my walks, so demurred, but she said she'd spot me and I could pay her on the trip back. So coffee!

Aside from spending Sunday recovering from a busy Saturday without elevation or icing, my knees have been doing great. Even Lefty is now pain-free. At worst there's a minor little "catch" that's noticeable but not even close to pain. Walking is a joy, to be honest. So buddy and I set off for the Wawa.

I walk at a good pace now. A mile and a half takes me about 20-25 minutes. Downhill is a little harder than uphill, but the grades in this neighborhood aren't steep. The return trip, with a coffee in one hand and a cane in the other, was easy also. We went to my house, where I paid my debt, and sat on the screen porch to exchange recovery stories, neighborhood gossip, and stock tips. It was fun to do something so ordinary as walk to a neighborhood store for a cup of coffee. The knees were champs. Lefty got slightly tired at the end, but not sore. After buddy left to start her day, I started mine with... elevation and icing and watching Perry Mason on TV.

So I can walk almost 3 miles in one trip, which I wasn't sure of before. I'd done it (up to 4 miles) over the course of a day, but I'm interested in learning how far my knees will go. Maybe forever, for all I know. I'm not interested in causing myself pain, so I add distance cautiously... an extra block one week, an extra half-mile the next. I don't plan to walk across the country or anything as ambitious as that, but I'm convinced I will soon be walking my old, pre-arthritic knees route of 5 miles. Walking trips to the bank and the bakery, the post office and pharmacy, lie in my future. That was my activity goal for my surgery: to be able to walk again, through airports, to ball games, along the Ocean City boardwalk, and around new ports when we cruise. Take the grandchildren to Disney World.

Twelve weeks ago I was thrilled to walk to the bathroom or fetch my own bottle of water. Today I walked a couple of miles for a decent cup of coffee. Life is good.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great pick me up story Susie! I see great walking in your future - if not Forest Gump type trips. I have a question for you. When you stretch on the ottoman is it lower than your chair, same height, or higher? I feel like higher is better but curious if lower is effective as well.
 
@kmak81230, my ottoman is the same height as my sofa. I can't compare the stretch I get to anything higher or lower, but it has worked well enough. I also do knee presses when sitting with legs on the ottoman, pressing my knees into the upholstery. I feel the stretch. Not fancy as exercises go, and downright lazy when you think about it, but it works. :tada:
 
Awe, thanks Helen and Nancy. I'm truly blessed to have had a good recovery (so far). I keep saying so far so as not to jinx myself. This surgery was truly a case of Fear the Worst, but Hope for the Best!
 
Thanks Susie - I had been doing similar but stopped while I have had this "pop" strain. Looking for a little extension magic which I know does not exist, except in the form of patience . .
 
@kmak81230, PT, once upon a time, had me do this squeeze the ball against the wall extension exercise that irritated the heck out of Lefty's patellar tendon. I'm not sure what flared up in there, but it hurt for a week. Only thing to do when something flares up is to stop everything until it calms down. Extension has been my left knee's albatross. I do the exercises now because it's truly the last thing to get to where I need it to be. But it's getting there. Slowly. Like pulling teeth with tweezers.
 
OS yesterday not pleased with extension and told me to tell PT to do "whatever it takes" to straighten my leg to 0 by my next apt in 3 mos - despite my concern about this on again off again strain - told me recovery is supposed to hurt :dubious: - I will not follow the edict of course but do want to make some progress in the next three months to get him off my back, er knee.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom