Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

Your lefty sounds like a twin to mine Susie - described it perfectly. I also get nervy, achy pain down my shin to my ankle after a long day. Today I believe I walked about 5 miles (not all at once), a good bit of the time pain free but not all the time. My walk is not yet "natural," slow and deliberate and a bit out of sync I think.
 
Great description of the pain free explanation! I have people asking me if I hurt and it is not that it hurts, it's stiff and if I try really hard to bend past the point that I can bend it hurts then but I don't walk around trying to bend to that degree all the time. If I sit too long at work it takes me a bit to unstiffen myself to walk somewhat normally, but you are right, it's not pain anymore. Have a great day and keep up the great healing!
 
I have people ask if I hurt too, and it's, like, how do I answer that? "Not really." "Sometimes." "Mostly not, but if I move like this..." If I say I hurt at all, Mr. Shoes starts to worry, because that word--pain--evokes visions of agony. So I have a tendency to diminish it. It's there, sometimes, if I move like this... but it's pretty inconsequential.

It's kind of the opposite of when I was in rehab and the nurse would come in and ask what my pain level was when I was resting feet up in bed. For the most part, my knees never hurt much at all when NOT MOVING. It was when I tried to bend them, or get out of bed, or walk to the bathroom... then my pain was 8-9. It was nasty bad. But in bed, just resting in the most comfy position I could find... my pain was 1-2. And I was always in bed and comfy when the nurse would ask me. But if I said 1-2, that wasn't completely true--because that was the "less pain" zone. So I would lie and say my pain was 8-9 because I knew I was going to move sooner or later and I really wanted my oxy for when I did that.
 
Susie, I'm going to print out your weekly summaries as a checklist. I'm thinking it will be inspirational because you focus on functionality and not numbers.
 
Susie, thanks for my morning laugh!:heehee: I think we need a simple phrase coined to answer that question since so many ask. A simple yes or no just doesn't do it and the lengthy explanation is...well....too lengthy! "I still feel_______?
Gronky? Wonky? Naff? Kerplunky?

Help, LOL!:rofsign:
 
Week 10: Wonky in Weather

I like the word "wonky" to describe how a fairly new knee replacement feels much of the time. Not quite painful, not quite pain-free, definitely not quite normal. Some days better than others. Not yet completely functional. Just... getting by the best it can.

Lefty woke up cranky again. WHEN will I learn not to try sleeping on my side? Never! I am determined. In the meantime I have to deal with a complaining left knee. As luck would have it, today is slated to be a scorcher. Already the outside temperature is 83 degrees Fahrenheit. We're headed for 95.

There are two things in the world I avoid whenever possible. No, not my ex. Not kale. Exercise... and heat. I make an exception for walking, because it's scenic. I like houses and gardens, birds and squirrels. Gyms, with their exercise machines and perky thirty-year olds in the kind of stylish gym gear I can never, ever wear, and their ranks of gleaming machines, are torture. Swimming is good. I can do swimming, but I'm not doing that yet. I like swimming because when I swim I don't sweat, or if I do I don't notice. But gyms make me sweat, and so does heat. In really high heat, I can lose half my body weight through sweating. I win wet t-shirt contests. I'm not kidding. We're talking buckets. So today I'm not taking a walk. The knees will have to understand.

Icing, elevating, and resting in the heat sounds like a plan.

Another thing I've noticed is I retain water in the heat. I've known this for years, of course ["Oh look! Lost five pounds... because the temperature is in the 80s again."] but I'm going through it with new knees this year. And... the knees don't like my water retention. I think some of it pools in the knee area (it's pooling somewhere) and causes it a little extra stiffness. I'm going to start tracking this, because I also noticed my knees were wonky a couple weeks ago during a hot spell. It's nothing major, to be sure, just a niggle. It's hard to not notice when the knees act up.

Tonight I'm going out with Mr. Shoes for our anniversary dinner. I'm debating between a dress (cool in this heat) and linen pants. The dress is super cute but my scars peek out. Will I be cute enough people will overlook them? Once I'm seated at the table, no one will see them anyway, right?
 
Wonky is one of my favorite words, is that anamatopoeia (probably not spelled right)?
And now that you mention it, wonky pairs up quite well with our cyber knees. @SusieShoes, sounds like a nice evening you have planned with Mr. Shoes, personally I would go for the cool dress with your beautiful badges of honor peeping out during your grand entrance.
 
Gyms, with their exercise machines and perky thirty-year olds in the kind of stylish gym gear I can never, ever wear, and their ranks of gleaming machines, are torture.

This is EXACTLY how I feel about gyms, especially the perky women in their cute clothing. So imagine my total surprise when I was at PT yesterday, which is set up like one of those gyms. I was lying on a table in a little room, doing an exercise and looking out at all the perky trainers and assistants, and suddenly I thought: "If I could just come HERE every day to do my exercises..." WHAT?? I think it's Stockholm Syndrome. Or some kind of brain-washing.
 
I vote for "Gronky," a combination of "grumbling" and "wonky," which my knee does a lot--grumble, I mean! Mr. Dot also asks me often about my pain, especially when I'm being a bit effortful with a stretch or turn over in bed with a tiny moan. I think I'll try out "Oh, don't mind me: My knee's just feeling a bit gronky at the moment." Otherwise, he, like Mr. Shoe, gets all worried. And yet there's not much he can do about it!
 
Susie, I vote for the dress! I say that 'cuz I've already introduced my knee to world at large many times over 'cuz I'm proud of this still, quite ugly scar. I earned it and am still earning it every day, as are you. If there ever was the weather or occasion for a dress, this is it doll! Rock it!:happydance: Besides, think of the cute shoes you can wear with the dress and they won't be hidden by pants....gotcha there, eh?

Ah, "Fear of Gym Bunnies" is a well documented phobia. I chose a very geriatric gym with pool many years ago for just that reason. I was 50 pounds overweight at the time and there was no way I'd be wearing a bathing suit around the fit and perky 20-30 somethings. Nope. It really worked well for me and I'm still a member. There really are gyms that attract us...er... *vintage* people and some are women only if that's an issue. Smaller facilities are usually better. However, if swimming isn't a dream exercise, I vote for the great outdoors! I'm not a fan of gym machines and much prefer to see some sights or greenery, on a bike or on foot.

@Polkadot, careful with the Stockholm Syndrome! We don't want to read about you on the front pages of some gossip rag, lol!
 
SusieShoes~i vote for you wearing a cool summer dress tonight for your anniversary dinner. i wore one to my friend's house the other day (girls in different cities get-to-gether) and i was so comfortable and i could also show off my scar easily when they asked to see it lol. have a wonderful celebration.
 
Susie, I vote for the dress! I say that 'cuz I've already introduced my knee to world at large many times over 'cuz I'm proud of this still, quite ugly scar. I earned it and am still earning it every day, as are you. If there ever was the weather or occasion for a dress, this is it doll! Rock it!:happydance: Besides, think of the cute shoes you can wear with the dress and they won't be hidden by pants....gotcha there, eh?

Ah, "Fear of Gym Bunnies" is a well documented phobia. I chose a very geriatric gym with pool many years ago for just that reason. I was 50 pounds overweight at the time and there was no way I'd be wearing a bathing suit around the fit and perky 20-30 somethings. Nope. It really worked well for me and I'm still a member. There really are gyms that attract us...er... *vintage* people and some are women only if that's an issue. Smaller facilities are usually better. However, if swimming isn't a dream exercise, I vote for the great outdoors! I'm not a fan of gym machines and much prefer to see some sights or greenery, on a bike or on foot.

@Polkadot, careful with the Stockholm Syndrome! We don't want to read about you on the front pages of some gossip rag, lol!

Your posts make me smile!


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Susie, I hope you showed the scars in your cute date night dress! I show my scars all the time now. Sometimes strangers will notice and say "did you have your knees done? Your so young for that, you should have waited!" It gives me an opportunity to educate and hopefully end the old wives tale of "too young" for those listening. Your doing so well with your new knees. I agree that the hot humid damp days seem to create aches and pains. I was hoping that would be done with new knees. Keep up the great recovery and the fun to read posts!
 
@Red's Mom, I'm glad I give you some smiles. Where would we be without laughter and a grin? Oooh, best not to answer that; hah!
 
Have an awesome time! Congrats to you and Mr Shoes anniversary and many more!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom