Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

Thanks Susie, I will Google! Those sound very interesting!
 
What a wealth of shoe-ology ! I knew it, the first time I read your tag, but I had not the slightest idea how expert you were, Susie !
Definitely going to bookmark this for future reference. I am a Birkenstock convert and Loints (Dutch) and sometimes Ecco (Portuguese). B.B. (Before bilateral), I wore custom orthotics and I guess I will have to have new ones made.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Whatever type of shoe you prefer, you are likely to need new shoes after a knee replacement, because the tread pattern you wore with your old gait will be all wrong for your gait with the new knees.
 
Reading about everyone's shoes has been an education! I go barefoot when possible, or wear Crocs or Birkenstock sandals otherwise. My feet are like a duck's, wide at the toe tapering to a normal sized heel. And, yes, I sigh for the days when I could wear spike heels.

Meanwhile, I like the look of those All Birds. Imagine, a shoe you can put in the washing machine!
 
Great post and activity! I've not made it to 5,000 steps yet, but am definitely seeing an increase in my steps.

I used to wear heels all the time, but gave them up because of my knees. One of the things I've wondered is if I'll be able to wear heels again with the new knees. Of course... that's always followed by... why? Flats are so much more comfortable to me. I'm not sure if my feet would be ready to be put back into heels.

Enjoy your online and shoe shopping!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Actually running shoes have a limited number of miles in them and then the cushioning starts to break down. I get a new pair at least once a year. It is my vice, don't smoke, don't drink to excess, don't gamble, don't chase around :blush: Here is a little information.
The Mileage Is Adding Up. A shoe's durability depends on factors like your style of running and weight. However, 300 to 500 miles is a good rule of thumb for how long your sneakers will last, says Wood. For instance, if you run 80 miles a month, then you should reinvest in a new pair between four and six months.
When You Need New Running Shoes | Men's Health
www.menshealth.com/fitness/retire-your-running-shoes
 
@Arrtie, what about us walkers, same deal on mileage? At my speed, it would take a while, lol!

@IowaNana, I love shoes, but I can't imagine even thinking about heels again; aaccck. I know it's different, because I am retired and no longer need to dress for work, but even back then, my heels had become very low. I definitely couldn't have worn my Hoka One Ones, but I'd find something comfy and fashionable, perhaps like Sofft-Soles.
 
No heels for me. I've been curious about the Hoka One Ones for several years. I'll have to try some on next time I'm at a decent shoe store.
 
I just looked online at the All Birds. They really look nice. I got new athletic shoes right before surgery and my Teva sandals were almost new. At four and a half months, those are the only two pairs of shoes I have that don't give me fits. BTW, Susieshoes, your Fitbit numbers are awesome!
 
@kmak81230, they make several styles and I tried 3 before I found the right ones for me. All were super comfy, but these ones really took care of my metatarsal pain. I've been postponing surgery on those miserable neuromas for several years and since I'm not a glutton for punishment, I'm sure not going for it this year, so it was great to find these particular shoes. :SUNsmile:
 
You ladies sure like to talk about shoes! Shall I start a "Shoes" thread for you in the Social Room, so that shoe talk doesn't take over the real topic of the recovery threads, which is knees?
 
I love the idea of a shoe thread so we can check out recommendations. Shopping! :yes!: I ordered a pair of Vionics today based on good reviews by our Smarties.
 
Week 10: The Tortoise

Each week, for many weeks now, I've been saying, "Things are a little better!" That's still true. This week is a little better than last week. It's very much like watching a tortoise race, though. A little better. Kind of like, yeah, the lead tortoise moved another two feet. At that pace, spectators might as well move along, get some snacks, take a bathroom break, and maybe visit the grandchildren.

And yet, there was a significant development yesterday: Lefty was pain-free. Completely, totally, not even a whisper of discomfort free. I noticed it when walking around the grocery store, striding along aisles, moving around the produce section. No pain. What a lovely, normal knee! Just like Righty. I had two good knees!

This was so momentous I nearly burst into cheers, but I was brought up to never, ever make a public scene. And so I simply grinned like a fool and did a little prance for Mr. Shoes, who understands me.

That alignment of the stars (and knees) was too good to last, of course. Lefty regained the whisper of soreness by afternoon, and was cranky again last night. Just can't stay happy, that knee. It didn't help that my sleep was off anyway because Mr. Shoes left on a business trip for a few days. I can handle being alone quite well, as I was single for several years before marrying again, but I like having him around. We're cuddlers. I don't sleep as well in an empty bed. Believe me, knees know these things: Lefty delights in tormenting me.

This morning, though, despite some early yammering, Lefty quickly settled down. Not quite pain-free, like yesterday, but nearly so. The knees were game for a nice long walk--around two blocks this time instead of one, 1.2 miles--and handled the extra distance without complaint. That will be my new morning walk for the next couple of weeks.

I've also found that massaging Palmer's Cocoa Butter into my incision scar eases the tightness. I think the scars were getting dry and moisturizing them allows the skin to stretch and move better. So I've been doing that the last couple of days and like the greater ease when bending.

So, at 10 weeks I do the following:

* walk two miles at a stretch or 5000 steps in a day without problem
* ice and elevate after any prolonged exercise or sitting
* lift both left and right legs easily over the side of an average bathtub (guess my bend has improved)
* drive for up to 20 minutes with no noticeable soreness
* prep and cook a meal that requires me to stand for 40 minutes at the kitchen counter and stove, but then I have to sit down
* jump up from the sofa and cross the room in time to answer a ringing telephone (always missed it before)
* trim my own toenails and put on polish
* carry 2-3 grocery bags of moderate weight up front steps into house (still leave heavy ones to Mr. Shoes)
* wear a variety of shoe styles and heel heights--huzzah!

Week 10 is starting out very well indeed. :happydance:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom