Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

@jaschembra, I think it's prudent to look down when walking on uneven ground, or unfamiliar terrain. I walk on mostly level sidewalks, so by looking ahead I can see impending pitfalls. But if I were going down steps, or walking At my brother's farm, I'd be looking down at where my feet are treading!
 
I know exactly what you mean! My left quad listens but my right hasn't gotten the message- at least not all the time- a mind of its own!
 
It took me about 2 weeks for my quad to fire. I remember being made to feel badly about it by PT where he didn't want me using my sling to get up onto the bed that you had to hop up onto when I first went on day 7. Yet another reason why I ended up firing him :yes:
 
You are a riot! Such positive posts. So amazed at your progress (from the girl who is on week 20 into recovery). I'm doing great...just can't get over where you are in your progress! Amazing!!!
 
I agree that your writing is wonderful.
 
I can touch my knee to Princess Pheeb's nose....does that count?

@VW54, I was told "No walking on sand or wading in sandy bottomed water for at least another month." It IS hard on the quads and calves.

@jaschembra, beware the walnut! Really, watch out. I have slipped and fallen on acorns; not fun!
 
Finally caught up! Yall are a chatty bunch!

I've had it both ways. Took almost a month to get any quad control, 6 w before I could do a decent straight leg raise or leg extension. The quad literally did not fire at all post op. My PT used powerful estim to wake it up.

This time? Fired right out of the gate. What a difference in recovery. Who knew the quads were so important for...everything! Lol.

So glad to see how well you've recovered @SusieShoes
 
Week 9: Shoes

New knees are progressing apace. Today we have thunderstorms rolling through, which could be why Lefty is cranky this morning. Or it could be that I "slept funny" because we woke up that way. Even Righty is slightly swollen and sore, which is usually never the case. Still, I took the knees on a walk during a break in the rain and both behaved very well. Oddly, because Lefty woke up cranky, we were still fine on the walk. Barely a whisper of discomfort from Lefty. It's more extra stiffness when bending around the house, go figure, which is also what Righty is doing. I'm blaming the weather... and doing some extra elevating and icing.

In the meantime, I am spending time shopping. Online. I love shopping online. Packages arrive magically at my door. "Look!" I exclaim to Mr. Shoes. "I have new stuff!" He's used to it. It happens every July.

After having my knees realigned, I tried on all my old shoes. My athletic shoes had to go. They had serious wear patterns that no longer agreed with the knees. My arthritic knees dictated my shoe choices for several years. I needed excellent support and less than 2 inch heels (though, mysteriously, I found a pair of 2 inch heel booties that were pure heaven... and which still are). I still favor lower heels. Always have. Even when my knees were young and healthy, high heels were my nemesis. Imagine an elephant on stilettos. Graceful, I was never, ever.

So I need new shoes. I know... just an excuse, right? Wrong. This is a real need. Because now I am doing something I wasn't doing six months ago, or a year ago, or even two years.

I am walking. Really walking. Not just hobbling around the house or across a parking lot, or through a grocery store (which was pretty much the scope of my activity the last three years). I'm walking around the neighborhood. I'm planning a cruise with shore excursions, and not just the bus tour of whatever port we visit. I'm going to be visiting the kids and grandkids in Cleveland, Atlanta and Wausau. Mr. Shoes and I are going to be going out more often to the theater and concerts. I want to go to farmers' markets and craft fairs.

According to my Fitbit, six months ago I was walking a maximum of 700 steps a day. That. Little. Most days were 300 or so steps. And today I am walking 3000 steps a day just doing my daily walk and ADL. If I go shopping or get out of the house a bit, I can do 5000. And I hope to do even more as I start taking longer walks and getting out more.

So... one pair of excellent-fitting athletic shoes. One pair of fun new slip on sneakers for trotting around on errands. One pair of nice going-out shoes, because my go-to pair "walked" funny now that my stride is normal again. The athletic shoes, especially, are a godsend. My walks are so much more fun with shoes that support and enable THESE knees. :walking:
 
Wow! I am so looking forward to going to the running store to get fitted for new shoes. I was a hard fit. I went through so many trials (my store allows returns even after the shoes were used outside). I pronated on one side only, had bad ankles, posterior tibial tendonitis, numb feet, you name it. I am so excited to see if realigning my knees fixes some of my foot/ankle issues. But as I'm still hobbling, I think it's too early to go shopping.

Enjoy your new kicks!
 
So awesome to hear about all of your upcoming adventures that you will enjoy so much more due to your increased mobility! And how fun to have proper fitting and wearing shoes to go with your new walking patterns. Keep on walking!!! My most comfortable shoes (a pair of Keen sandals, and couple of pairs of low heel shoes that I wear to work) are, of course, the ones with the most obvious sloping heel wear. I expect that until I get my right knee done any new shoes will still get that wear pattern on one shoe.
 
My favorite athletic shoes: Hoka One-One, Gaviota. A dream come true, for knees, back and arthritic toes, bunions, and Morton's neuroma. Zappos!

Susie, I love your plans! Yeehaw!
 
Oh, did I say I don't leave home without them? I don't.:happydance:
 
What a huge increase on your Fitbit numbers! I've just started wearing my again, but not getting as many steps as you are!
 
I just discovered All Birds shoes, made in New Zealand (but super fast delivery here in the States). So comfy!!! Like walking on clouds. They aren't carried on Zappos, alas. I love Zappos!

My Keen sandals were among the casualties of my culling. Too much wear. Not sure how that happened with how little walking I did, but it was for several years. Those sandals were really good and supportive.

When young and feckless, and able to wear any shoe, I never appreciated the importance of well-made footwear. I wore junk on my feet. My knees taught me the importance of good support in shoes. That will still matter going forward, I think.
 
Who carries the All Birds, Susie? I like the name and they sound very comfy. I bought a new pair of the Keen Walking Sandals just before my TKR. My old ones were 5 years old and had finally bitten the dust, lol. They certainly last a long time and mine had been in salt water more than a few times.:SUNsmile:
 
I ordered mine off the All Birds website. The shoes are made of merino wool, which works for me. :smile2: Lightweight, cool in heat and warm when chilly, sustainable, and washable. Lightweight was what sold me. I wore them walking today and was really happy.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom