Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

It took about 5 days before my quads were working fully and I could lift my leg back into bed. I put it down to the femoral nerve block that I was given just prior to surgery.
 
Is that the ultimate test Celle, lifting the leg into bed under one's own power? If so, I believe I passed that test at around the end of week 3.
 
I wish I had a clue as to why some quads work and others just languish. Though I used to be very active--like @Pheebs52 I would swim 3x a week for a couple of miles each time, shovel snow for an hour, walk the dog for miles, and haul gardening supplies around my yard--but that was a few years ago, before doing these things became painful. My muscles should have atrophied to nothing, though my OS said one reason he thought I could handle bilateral was that my muscles were good. Not sure how that happened. I'm 5'7" and over 200 pounds still after my post-surgical weight loss (though closing in on below that), so hardly a model of fitness.

It just goes to show how completely individual and unique each body is!
 
Is that the ultimate test Celle, lifting the leg into bed under one's own power?
I don't think there's any one ultimate test. Most surgeons seem to be satisfied if you can do a straight leg lift.
Almost all quads recover, but some take a little longer than others.
 
These quads have a mind of their own - I probably was able to lift in and out of the bed in week 2, but I still get the random firing, or "wobble" when walking, and I don't feel much when I try to contract it - as compared to my other quad. I think I was in pretty good shape going into the surgery, but definitely have a bit of a noodle leg now.
 
Thanks Celle, I'm glad I can do that.

Ah, Kmak81230, my *twin*....ditto to everything you just stated! It's all such a nuisance to me today; pffft!
 
Well, I weighed in on the Allstar Quad team, both of 'em worked right off the bat and have kept on working. I can lift my legs almost touch knee to nose and my right quad has almost stopped aching. Until I read Pheebs' post I thought it was because of my general fitness - 5-6x elliptical per week, bike to work, weights to beef up upper body-abs before surgery. Btw, @Pheebs, our stats are pretty close.
So now, after reading your thread I have one more thing to be grateful for!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well @nensi, if I didn't like you I'd be throwing mental darts right now, lol. But, we are told "We can't compare." Who knows, maybe there is something else in my medical history, unrelated to fitness or ortho matters, that is making this recovery so s-l-o-w. I certainly have much that I can choose from. When all else fails, I can blame my ancestors.:snork:
 
With my first knee, I was able to do leg lifts pretty soon after surgery. Now, we'll see what happens with the next one. I may have to remember AQUA!
 
Oh Arttie, what an awful earworm, lol. How did that record ever get airtime? Wait....I think I know.
 
I just tried to lift my knees to my nose @nensi - ain't gonna happen, no way, no how . . . . not now, not ever. Fortunately I do not aspire to be a dancer, gymnast or contortionist - but you might have a 2nd career in one of these areas - amazing!!! ARTTIE!!! How could you . . .
 
Hehe I just caught the earworm too.
Though I studied Anthropology as a minor in college I've forgotten which muscles do what and had to look up quads again.
I could lift my leg up into bed after 4 days, but it felt better using my belt as a lifter.
Then at day 8 muscle strain, probably one of the quads. Set me back at least a week of recovery.
Am definitely unfit but doc said he could tell I walked a lot in earlier times before osteoarthritis set in. He said I could soon go back to long walks on the beach next summer. I'm so looking forward to that. Does anyone know if beach walking requires more quad strength? What about wading in water hip deep?
 
Hahaha, nothing doin' contortionist - just years of evolution living with arthritic knees, putting off surgery until the technology caught up, stretching those hamstrings picking up after kids, rolling up from playing lego on the floor. Not to mention extension at 7 degrees - easier to touch your toes with your knees bent a bit.
Wonderful having pals like you guys who understand the language. Well, off to bed (and my ice) for me. [emoji99]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Susie, I have to touch on something @sistersinhim mentioned regarding looking down while walking. I too am often looking down and at this point I don't believe it is effecting my gait - but I am very careful that I don't step wrong and fall or cause me to make a misstep and hurt.

Now, for the trip I take everyday up to our chicken coop: I look down the entire time because my eyes are making sure where I step and once I saw a snake and I'm petrified of them so I never want to step on one lol. Also, I guess from all the dryness, one tree has begun dropping walnuts - can you imagine stepping on a walnut! Oh my.

You're doing great!!!
 
By the way, regarding quads. I lifted my leg 100% fine in the hospital and then about 3 days after surgery, I began having difficulty - all the PT had to do was touch under my knee, and then I could lift it. It was weird. I do remember using my belt a lot when I was tired and lazy and didn't want to use it anymore or during the middle of the night. The end of the cane worked well too. And... my quads were very strong going into surgery.
 
What fun catching up with the party going on here on susieshoes thread! All I can say is quad strength or awakening is probably a great thing but hasn't helped my flexion!! By day 2-3 I could lift my legs off the bed and into the bed. The right one I might've helped a couple days longer. I just touched my left knee to my nose and no fireworks happened and the right knee still didn't bend any better! With that and $5 I could get a Starbucks... I know, I know, don't compare my knees.

@SusieShoes do you published books or articles we can get and read? You have so entertained and fascinated us with your writing.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom