Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

My legs are such a mess now between flaky skin and leg fuzz, I feel like a cave woman. On the plus side, I'm definitely seeing toned muscles for the first time in years! Is it the weight loss revealing definition? Is it the walking? Is it the PT? Who cares... the legs are looking good. :smile2:
 
Week 7: PT Maneuvers

As expected, my progress report from PT says I need... more PT. Ha! No surprise that. My insurance will cover more sessions, it was pointed out to me, so why not go for it? We'll see on Monday what my OS has to say. If my surgeon wisely asks me, "What do you think?", I will tell him I think I can finish by myself. But if he really wants me to continue... I'll think about it. I don't hate my therapist. I just want a different kind of recovery than going to PT.

Flexion 120/115 (Righty wins). Extension 0/1 (Righty wins again)

Leg strength in both legs is very good according to the little device he used to measure it. I think I surprised my therapist with that one.

I do, however, take issue with the report's statement I need more PT so I can "Descend Stairs"... um... for the past week I have been descending stairs, foot over foot. I hold the handrail, yes, but I think that still counts. Humph!!!

And the statement that I need more strength so I can "get out of chairs"??? I get out of chairs. Haven't met a chair yet I haven't gotten out of.

I think I'm being stabbed in the back!

Fortunately, I will be there in person to show the OS anything he needs to see. Stairs? Chairs? Bring them on!
 
hmmmm isn't that something about ben franklin's advice? ~ thanks for the link SusieShoes. i had to laugh at #8, "they are so grateful" lol...gee thanks ben.
 
another great report SusieShoes. i guess you'll decide if you want to continue physio. sounds like you are well on your way to complete recovery. it's so strange how some, such as you, can get their range of motion in a shorter period of time than others, such as me. we're all so different (and yet the same).
 
I think that PT report was written to be shown to the insurance company, so they can claim more PT is required. It's not a fair assessment of your progress.
Try to ignore it - we all know you're doing great!
 
Your insurance will pay for more, so they had to come up with reasons for you to continue. It's all about money at this stage. You don't need PT, while make your insurance pay for more? Do go, if you feel like you need it, but why bother if you don't.
 
I hear the sound of the almighty buck @SusieShoes. It's quite unmistakable and it's a major reason why health insurance is so :censored:expensive in this country. You know what to do.:sigh:
 
I agree, Susie. If you have good insurance they're going to want you back. I loved PT (remember I was house/hospital bound for 2 months so PT was my social time) and actual was released at 109. Yes, 109, so with your knees at 120/115 I have to wonder why. It's probably your lovely, bubbly personality too!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@liam2015, I wish I knew why some people get their swelling down sooner while others struggle. It probably boils down to genetics and individual bodies. I like to think if there was a formula for How to Get Your Flexion Quickly, it would made known to all.

Yes, I'll wait to hear what my OS says. My inclination is to stop PT.
 
Great report @SusieShoes. If I was where you were at I'd stop PT (and I love going to PT). My PT is leaving the area at the end of July so think I will make a clean break then. I'm sure I will still not have great flexion but I know what to do - he trained me well - as have the advisors on this site. I had the flaky skin but it has been gone for a couple weeks now. My lounge doctor arrived today - aahhhhh!
 
Loving the Lounge Doctor so far @liam2015. I will enjoy not having to rearrange pillows or carry pillows around the house constantly. Like the others I hope you can have a stress free weekend w/o worrying about the OS visit - I dreaded my 6 week visit and my next one will be in just over 4 weeks but since he just used the word "improvement" instead of a number at my last visit I feel hopeful that I will meet that criteria. He probably did give a number but I chose to have selective hearing :rotfl:
 
Hurray for the arrival of the Lounge Doctors! Happy elevating Smarties!:egypdance:
 
Why thank you @Pheebs52 -- wouldn't have it without all the glowing reviews by you and others. My spouse says it's a good thing I have a job for all the online purchases I've been making while supposedly "convalescing" on the couch :heehee: -
 
Hahaha, he has a point! Online shopping has definitely been a favorite pastime on my recovery planet!:heehee:
 
I've been using lavender oil on the flaky skin and it has helped me. The real kind from the apothecary (expensive); not the kind that some companies sell for aroma therapy. < that's no good!
The pharmacist even asked if it was for burns or scars. I think this remedy is becoming popular or better known here.
One only needs a tiny little bit. Maybe twice a day.
 
Had to laugh at your leg fuzz description @SusieShoes , I was 12 weeks out before I could bare to shave my legs ( the thought of the blade going over the numb patch made me shudder) so it wasn't so much fuzz I had than full blown Big Foot look:no-fin:
 
The right side of my knee is still numb. It certainly does feel funny to shave there. The dark hair underneath my case was at least 1/2" long. Which I found really strange because the rest of my hair is light colored. I wonder what in the world make my hair dark under there!
 
I'm still numb in spots and find hair I've missed. I have to feel with my hand to find strays! But I agree, shaving after a month was one great day!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom