Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

@SusieShoes - a belated happy birthday! It sounds like you had a great day!

Congrats on all of your accomplishments! You are an inspiration to the rest of us. It will be great to not have to do PT anymore.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Happy birthday to you a little late!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh darn, I missed your birthday and the party. Happy Birthday!!! Great 7 week report as well.
 
I'm glad you had a good birthday with a surprise present from Mr Shoes as well as getting to pick out your recumbent bike yourself to make sure it is a good fit! Things are going well for you, so happy for you!:wow:
 
More Week 7: Just Another Day

So naturally after two lovely days, I woke up and Lefty was cranky. This is our relationship. What happens is I sleep for about 5 hours on my back, legs elevated, and wake up around 3-4 am. Tired of being on my back, I ditch the wedge and pop a pillow between my legs so I can try sleeping on my side. This generally works for the remaining two hours before I wake for the day. Some days, all goes well. Other days, like today, Lefty takes issue with being in this position and I start the day with Old Cranky Knee.

The good news is that, at seven weeks out from surgery, Lefty gets over the crank pretty well. Still a little sorer than on his "good" days, but I walk just fine. I even took a nice morning walk and extended by a stop sign (half a city block, in this case) to vary up the scenery. Walking the same block every day, two or three times a day, begins to feel limiting after a while. I look forward to next week when I do not have FIL, and can actually leave my block. Knees and I are ready!

Thanks to Lefty, today is a chill day. I'll skip the midday walk and see how I feel this evening. My activities so far have included tidying the kitchen and bathrooms, and trying on more of my wardrobe. My post-surgical weight loss means figuring out which jeans and pants fit and which need to be purged. Pleasantly surprising: I can wear slim leg jeans again! For a while my knees were too swollen for these, and even some looser pants were tight on the knee. I'm happy to have options. Not as sure about the shorts, though. I fit into some nice ones, but... when I look in the mirror, all I can look at are those two straight scars on my knees. Shorts really bring them out front and center. I really can't see wearing shorts in public just yet.

Speaking of incisions, medical types are hilarious. It started in rehab, when my incisions were revealed by the rehab doctor. He and the internal medicine doctor and a nurse were standing around my bed and when the bandages were taken off, there was this astonishing moment when they all smiled, sighed happily, and I swear angels sang as the doctor said, "Just beautiful. That's Dr. Good's work." And they all folded their hands and nodded like the Three Wise Men. It was rather bizarre. Apparently my OS is famous for his incisions.

Now, my incisions are pretty decent looking, as incisions go. But they're, you know, scars, and kinda red, and turning colors. I'm not sure anyone would call them beautiful. Still, that word keeps coming up. It comes up from people in PT. It even comes up at the hairdresser. A person waiting for a haircut along with me said, out of nowhere, "Those incisions are beautiful!" My scars were peeking out from my capris. All I could do was look at her like she'd sprouted another head. Because, seriously, who says that? That's when she told me she was an orthopedic nurse and asked who'd done my surgery. But still. Anyway, no one has yet accosted me on the street to say anything, thank goodness.

So judge for yourselves. Incisions: Week 7
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] SusieShoes' New Knees
    IMG_0744.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 343
I also think your incisions look Great! What great looking knees, too! Thanks again for your wonderful, encouraging reports. You really make my day.
 
they are very nice, straight incisions and your knees don't look swollen. you have a lot to look forward to with those strong, solid knees.:walking::fasthorse::biking::surfer:
 
Beautiful scars! I wear mine with pride. It means we had the courage to go through something scary & painful in order to live the rest of our lives to the fullest.

And a fabulous 7w update. Before yesterday, I had finally gotten to where I could go all day without my cane but I still used it outside bc of things like curbs, steps without rails, uneven ground. And it definitely made people more likely to hold a door open for me.
 
@SusieShoes, Mr. Shoes really outdid himself with your birthday presents, but, that IS, of course what we all expected. I'm sure he felt the collective power of our Bonesmartie energies guiding him in the right direction, lol. That little foot strider is a wonderful piece of equipment. I know this because I had one for years and used it to get my legs in shape for skiing. It's a real quad builder! I also enjoyed the portability of it. I'm also really glad you'll be picking out your own bike, there's really no other way to go about that and Mr. Shoes was hip to that. because he's really cool! :cool:

Just your description of trying on all those clothes made me tired, but I love that you were able and actually interested in doing the closet-shopping! As for baggy clothing, I always prefer that to tight; oh yeah! Best of all was your success with the side-lying nap afterwards; whoohoo!

I know you're really going to be celebrating next week when you have your night in "Abruzzi!" Salute!:cheers:

Pssst: My cane has been in my car for the last 5 years for all the reasons mentioned. I see no reason to remove it, especially now.

Oh gardening talk makes my heart go pitter-patter, but....I have not indulged for 6 years. I do miss it and perhaps will get back to it some day. These days, I just enjoy looking at the gardens of others. I also can spend many a happy hour with a gardening catalogue. Heck, even a seed catalogue can be fun!:flwrysmile:
 
@Pheebs52, I also like looser clothing, but baggy to the point of falling off my hips crosses a line. :skep:

My yard could use a little (okay, a lot of) work. I'm practical enough to know I'm not going to be up to that this year. Except maybe bulbs this fall. I love spring-flowering bulbs and have some ideas. Narcissi, species tulips, muscari, maybe some alliums. I know I could put Mr. Shoes to work, but... well... I think I've been loading up on him a bit, and besides, there's something so very rewarding about planting things. I want to be the one with her hands in the dirt.

I love my strider, particularly out on the screen porch. Just something about moving my knees in the fresh air and plotting out my garden.
 
@Jennszoo, wear with pride indeed. I'm quite at ease with mine, though not at ease enough yet for shorts! But these scars will grow paler, won't they? I have every intention of allowing people to see my knees!
 
@SusieShoes thank you for the instructions re posting photos ~ i don't know why i didn't think of clicking on "upload a file"!! one more question: how do you post your profile picture? i have some gardening plans for the fall and next spring. i want to have me peony bushes tied up so they don't fall over and in the fall i want to plant the tulip bulbs my sister gave me that she bought from canadian tire. they are gifts from holland for canada's 150th birthday in the canadian flag colours (red and white). i didn't get them planted last fall due to 4 newborn bunnies being buried in that bed (thanks to liam before training collar). glad that you love your strider ~ i will have to look into that ~ looks very practical and handy.
 
The scars should match your surrounding skin after a while. My left knee, which was opened up twice in 8 months, now is pale like the rest of my very pale body! :heehee:
 
@liam2015, for the profile pic go to the top of the page where your username is along with your inbox, etc. If you place your cursor over your username it will bring up a menu. Click on Avatar and a box will come up that will prompt you to upload a picture.

I did mine on my laptop, so it may be different for a mobile device, though I'm sure there's some way to bring up the same menu!

I love peonies. Don't have any right now, but that's a thought for next year! They make such gorgeous cut flowers.
 
Excellent 7 week report. You had me laughing over the scar comments. I guess everyone can appreciate good work wherever they see it. Glad your birthday was a good one :yes:
 
Those incisions sure are straight and look great - so do those knees! I notice mine get darker when I've been doing activities and then lighter at rest.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom