Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

Happy Birthday! So WHEN do you open the box? Everyone is so anxious. Mr Shoes had better hope for his sake that it's not a prank box. He will have a slew of drug crazed bone smarties after him!!!:giggle::dancy::happydance::rofsign:
 
@SusieShoes You are doing absolutely amazing! I didn't go to rehab....I had home therapy for several weeks 3 X a week. My hubby took really care of me. We had house all set up before surgery. Like a lift chair to help him & me. Raised toilet One was portable I used at night. I slept in the recliner/lift chair for several weeks. You are really doing great and such an inspiration to others before you. I'm back on my motorcycle. My problem is swinging my leg over doesn't pivot that way. Take it easy and definitely stay ahead of the pain. I set my iPhone alarm to take my meds.
Keep it up Love reading your progress,
 
@SusieShoes I also, built up my quads by swimming and doing exercises in the pool at the YMCA. I still struggled with even lifting my leg up. I built those back up in out patient therapy. You are definitely a poster child for BTKR.
 
Happy birthday Susie! Have you opened the big box yet? Hope it's been a wonderful birthday!
 
i think Susie must be the guest of honour at a big birthday bash. hope you're having a wonderful day.:happyfeet:
 
Hope your birthday was wonderful and special and I hope your knees continue to behave! You are doing amazing in your recovery!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks for yet more birthday wishes! You guys are the best! :roseshwr: I spent my evening doing FaceTime with my three boys and my grandkids. None live near me, or each other, so when we get a chance to hangout, it gets chatty. Not to mention I had cake and the opening of gifts.

And, surprise, I did not get a recumbent bike--though I did get the promise of one and will pick one out myself at the sports store next week. That humongous box held what is sort of, kind of a bike. Yes! A super deluxe floor compact strider, kind of like a mini-elliptical machine, I can use while sitting now, and later on while standing. (Not sure when that will happen, but Mr. Shoes tried it and it works.) Picture below, along with a pretty flower "cake" sent by one of the boys. The strider is big, rock solid, and does not move on carpet. I put a mat under it on brick. I can use it downstairs, either while watching TV or out on my screen porch where I love to spend my afternoons. I love it! I tried it out for about five minutes while watching "GLOW."

You see, Mr. Shoes remembered that the elliptical machine was my favorite whenever we used the cruise ship gyms on our vacations. Aw. How can I not love a guy who notices things like that? And he's still getting me a recumbent bike for up in my office. It makes sense to try them in the store to find one I like. :upright:

So a great birthday was had, and I am loosening up my knees with some pedal motion before taking my walk. :walking:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] SusieShoes' New Knees
    IMG_0738.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 366
  • [Bonesmart.org] SusieShoes' New Knees
    IMG_0737.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 342
How wonderful of your hubby! He's a jewel! And your birthday rocked!
 
Week 7: As the Knees Turn

Today begins the seventh week of my recovery. Week 6 was a really good week for me knee-wise, and I think I know why. Six weeks is about the amount of time it takes for the body to get on the other side of major wounds. Not heal the wounds completely, not even close. But a healthy body, bar infections and complications, is over the major repair work by the time six weeks have passed. There's still lots of healing to go, but some things--invisible, important things--have reached equilibrium.

Energy. I have more energy now and feel more like my old self. Yes, I still tire if I do a lot, but much of the time I don't do a lot, so most days I get along really well and might not nap at all. On the other hand... the other day I napped after trying on summer outfits. Seriously, trying on clothes from my own closet. Now the good news is that I even care about trying on clothes and shoes. A few weeks ago I only cared about comfort. However, I have a date with Mr. Shoes next week and I wanted to see what still fits. I've lost weight, you see, and much of my wardrobe is now baggy. Not all of it, though. I found a lovely shirtdress to wear. And cute shoes. But the effort of trying on several items and walking to the mirror for critiquing different angles, really took the zip out of my do-dah and I needed a nap.

Now the nap was a nice surprise also. I simply curled up and slept on my side. This position has been hit or miss for me, but that day it was a hit out of the ballpark. Perfectly natural. No pain. All systems go upon waking up.

Walks have become easier and I am venturing a bit afield as I gain confidence. Two weeks ago, Lefty still hurt with every bend, even simply when walking, but as of today, my left knee barely hurts at all. That nagging little pain on the inside of the knee is almost gone. I intend to ask the OS about it on Monday, if it's still there. But the fact that the pain is getting less with every week tells me this is something likely to resolve completely.

The only assistive device I still use: my Lounge Doctor wedge. I still sleep nights with my legs elevated. It's comfy and Lefty likes it. 'Nuff said. Whatever makes the knee(s) happy.

All other devices, including the cane, are history. PT cleared me to go cane-less. I still take it with me on walks, but mostly as a prop. Car drivers see a person holding a cane walking in the road and they at least understand why. The sidewalks in my neighborhood are uneven and occasionally hazardous.

I look forward to Friday being my last day of PT. My PT guy does not know this. He's probably writing up a progress report to the doctor that lauds my exceptional progress (under his tutelage, of course) but extolls the benefit of continued PT to work on balance and strength. Little does he grasp that I intend to sabotage his report by letting my OS know I can, and will, do a perfectly fine job of rehabbing my knees the rest of the way on my own. My progress so far will prove my point, I hope. I intend to take full credit for that.

As of today, I...

* can get off any chair or sofa with ease
* think nothing of getting up to fetch a snack or do a chore
* walk three or more blocks with ease and begin to tire after five blocks
* go up and down stairs foot over foot, using handrails
* still cannot stand for much longer than fifteen or twenty minutes without wanting to sit
* can sit with my legs down for three hours (but will want to ice after that many)
* have driven a car, but not yet gone on an outing alone
* see that my scars are starting to pale and turn silvery
* feel completely, happily, very much like me

As far as pain goes, I don't have much at all. I prefer to call it stiffness, which I know is a kind of pain, but it pales alongside the pain I used to suffer with my arthritic knees. That horrible arthritic pain is still fresh enough in my memory that what I feel now is readily accepted. So, yes, there still is some, but it's minor enough I just go with it. Tylenol on occasion.

So, Week 7, let's see what you have in store!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful report Susie! :yahoo: Isn't it wonderful to almost feel normal again? I'm back to doing 10 hour days at work, and surprising myself that it is possible. I too have stiffness and not real pain. The stiffness feels like my legs are alien attachments. The sensation is "out of this world" and something I've never experienced before. I'm trying to focus on walking with a normal gait while going down the halls at work. It feels great to have the worst behind me now. Thanks for taking the time to give us all a family view of your life. I wait with anticipation for your weekly sequels. :happydance:
 
Yeah for you @SusieShoes! We are a day apart and I am experiencing many of your accomplishments as well - bravo to you for doing all of this x two . . . glad to hear that lefty is not hurting as much. I know what you mean about energy. Today when I was at the gym doing my little bits on the bike and the elliptical I actually felt motivated to do a few arm machines . . . my arms are wimpy noodles yet I haven't been motivated to do anything about it until this morning - of course I probably did too many exercises (with my compulsive self) and so will have sore arms in addition to sore leg for the next couple of days. It is nice to have more energy for parts of the day. Happy week seven to you!!! :cheers:
 
Seems we're on a similar recovery track, @kmak81230. As tracks go, it's a good one. I know what you mean about having wimpy arms. Mine are a disgrace. I do miss my elliptical workouts of yore... or simply gardening. I look forward to gardening next year. I made a vow to leave gardening alone until fall, when I hope I can plant some bulbs for spring.
 
What a wonderful 7-week report, Susie! You've made great progress.

I'm glad you still take your cane with you when you go for a walk. Even if you don't need it for support, it's a useful help in preventing falls and it's good for reminding people to keep their distance - and warding off rushing people and dogs. :dogwalk: :doggie:
I kept my cane in the car and used it on wet days and in crowds long after I didn't really need it. In fact, I think it's still there.

It sounds as if you had a wonderful birthday. Your husband is definitely a keeper, and I love your flowers.
 
My garden is a disaster @SusieShoes - my avatar is a pic of deer munching away in my yard last week since they know I can't run outside and chase them away. I expect they will tell all their friends and I'll have a whole herd out there before too long.:arrow: Do you flower garden? I have wildflowers in the front yard that require little maintenance but I typically have a big vegetable garden -- I tried to get seeds planted prior to the surgery and now it desperately needs weeding - may have to hire a neighbor kid. I'm at 8000' in Colorado and we have about a 65 day frost-free season so I had a very small window to plant some things - in fact our last frost was about three weeks ago. I haven't had much energy to tend to it but hope that will change in the upcoming weeks.
 
@AlaskaGrandy, I think I know that sensation you're talking about. It's a really weird stiffness, kind of wrapping the joint just under the skin. It never completely goes away, though it does loosen up a lot. Mine is only in the knee, though I do "feel" (or is that "not feel") numbness down along the sides of my shins. I kind of ignore that feeling. But the webby stiffness of the knee is quite distinct.

I'm so glad to hear you're working and think the worst is behind you. I think so, too! Yay! And I'm happy to share my family life along with my recovery because, at least for this BTKR, the family aspect is central to making this work. Oh, the conversations I had! If we could not get together on Saturdays, or swap out Dad... the catastrophe that would have ensued! I kid you not. But it all worked out because we worked it out together.
 
@Celle, I'm feeling positive about my recovery these days, even more than before. I've done well from the start, for which I thank my lucky stars. I also thank BoneSmart, though, for showing me how to start off that recovery by making strong, proactive choices. I've had choices all along the way, right from the first hours after surgery, and I always opted for sensible, non-painful recovery. I never tried to fast track my knees. I put the brakes on PT in rehab, and again in outpatient. I am a veritable slug at home (except for walking... I followed all my OS's guidelines for walking). From where I stand, the BS way has paid off.

My Mom, bless her heart, still carries her cane in the car for the very reasons you do. She had her knees replaced, separately, more than a decade ago. Says she never thinks about them. But she likes having that cane in crowds or bad weather.
 
@kmak81230, deer are beautiful creatures, but they sure wreck our hard work. Good luck with your vegetable garden and that short growing season. I do grow wildflowers in the backyard, mostly because they're self-seeding and hardy, along with perennials and bulbs. Most years I plant annuals and herbs and veggies in patio pots, but my knees hurt too much pre-surgery for me to dump dirt and haul in new bags, so I just didn't do anything this year. A few self-seeders popped up out there, but mostly I have weeds. I might just tell the lawn guys to dump those pots and nest with some catalogs this summer. Love gardening catalogs!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom