Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

that's great you don't need the bath transfer bench. i graduated around a week ago when i got the courage to go without it and no one home. now i'm wondering how i can make use of it ~ extra seating on the deck or in the living room; a coffee table? suggestions welcome.:giggle:
 
Congrats on getting rid of the shower chair! I've been taking my shower standing up, but still use the bench to get in and out of the shower. I tried getting in without it one day, and it went ok. I just haven't been brave enough to get out of the shower without it.

We have a similar issue here with only one shower. Hubby either has to shower with it in his way or move it out. I know he will be glad when I decide I'm done. I have to admit - it is handy to sit and shave my legs!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@liam2015, ....dog sofa for outdoors? LOL! Planter bench?

The shower scene is different for those of us that had only one knee done. You bilaterals really needed all the help you could get and who could blame you for forming an attachment to that seat? I found mine was always in the way and I was banging into it all the time, so got rid of it very quickly. But....I had one good leg to stand on and that makes all the difference.

@IowaNana, brilliant idea on using it for leg shaving! I have been struggling with that quite a bit!
 
oooooh planter bench ~ i like that idea. the bath transfer bench was great for shaving legs ~ will miss that part.
 
Looking for the weekend family dinner update and hearing how you're doing!?!

Hope all is going well.
 
Week 6: Weekend Warrior

Weekends are totally for blowing off PT and exercise. Yes, that's what I do. I only do PT at PT. At home I do a few heel slides, maybe stretch my legs out over an ottoman and hope for a little extension, and just let walking and my ADL take care of my exercise needs. In other words, I give my legs a rest and follow the BoneSmart way. So far, I have to say, this plan is working really well!

Weekends are also for the Big Italian Family. So of course I spent Saturday playing games and celebrating my birthday, which is on Tuesday, but the family must celebrate en masse. I asked for Joe's Famous Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes for dinner and Joe outdid himself. Really good meal. I got a small mountain of presents, including some new movies to watch and books to read during my continuing, restful recovery. I'm certain Mr. Shoes is holding back my new recumbent bike, Why am I so certain? Because there's a huge, heavy box sitting at the back of the living room that he enjoys taunting me with.

My left knee is getting better, too, but slowly. I don't think Lefty is actually being slow. Probably this is exactly where a TKR should be at week six. But Righty is a show-off: pain-free, almost stiffness-free, bendy, full extension, and in all ways a champ. Even the PT guy lavishes praise on that knee. Lefty just looks poor by comparison. I know how this is. I had a Pretty Sister. You know the type... big eyes, perfect teeth, pretty face, dark wavy hair, taller, curvier, looked like a young Elizabeth Taylor. She really did. When I was in high school (I'm older by 18 months), boys dated me just so they could come over to hit on her. Okay, so I get it. Competing with a sibling who checks all the boxes is tough.

So, at this point in Week 6, I still use my cane for:

* high steps (I have three of these in front of my house)
* carrying along on walks just in case I have to ward off excited dogs or surprise admirers
* to knock things like low-hanging branches or discarded soda cans out of my path
* PT, because I haven't been cleared to not use a cane

And that's it. I walk for three or more blocks unassisted (cane in hand) without trouble. Only a little residual soreness in Lefty that does not get worse with walking. I walk up and down stairs foot over foot, but I use the handrail for sure. Not yet handrail free on stairs. I'm slow on stairs. The knees, however, including Lefty, are stable and able. I can sit with my legs down for a few hours at a time. My knees are definitely stiff when I get up after that long, but they loosen within a few steps--and yes, I do ice and elevate after long periods of sitting with them down.

I can drive if I want to. I backed the car out of the driveway and onto the street, then drove back into the driveway. Not much of a drive, but I felt completely in control of the car. I'm not officially cleared by the doctor for city streets yet, though. That's next week. I suppose I could call and get his okay, but I don't have a pressing need to drive, so haven't done so yet. I'm stuck home this week anyway.

So things are going really well, I think. This week we have FIL with us, which really limits what I can do. Long walks are out because I can't leave him alone in the house for too long, just a few minutes in the morning before he gets up or maybe around lunch if he's napping. Even if I drove, I can't leave. He's getting progressively worse with his mobility and we fear a fall one of these days. His mobility problems are due to his dementia--his brain is forgetting how to do things like walk and swallow. By comparison, convalescing with my surgically repaired knees is easy peasy.
 
@SusieShoes, I really enjoy reading your narratives - funny, well-written, informative with a good smattering of details. And you are my inspiration and role model - you are my beacon. Who cares about the pretty sister in high school - you are a knee champion !
 
Thanks for my morning smile SusieShoes! Your progress continues to amaze and inspire me! For instance, walking up and downstairs *normal* style? Just a pipe dream for me right now and honestly, I don't even think about it, cuz I know it won't happen for quite some time.
Your Birthday celebration sounds fab, especially Joe's famous meatloaf.:flwrysmile: As to the huge box in your living room, well....we know what that is, eh? Yeah, we do.:yes!:
 
@nensi, thanks! I enjoy writing, and hope others will find my journey useful to their own recoveries. I read so many recovery threads while preparing for my surgery, and they helped me a ton!
 
@Pheebs52, this family knows how to do birthdays. My birth family totally fails at birthdays. We barely acknowledge them. But this family... all out. Special meals. Homemade cake. Extravagant wrappings. I like it!

My PT guy is surprised I can go down the stairs already. That actually came first for me. I think that was because going UP the stairs was very painful for me before surgery. Lefty could not lift my body and before that point was in sheer agony trying. So I had a kind of mental block against trying to use my left knee going up the stairs--until in PT he told me to just try it on a step up exercise. I'm like, "This might not work." He said it would. And... it did. Lefty lifted my body with ease. There was some pain (that was a couple weeks ago) but mechanically everything worked perfectly. So this past weekend I said, "Let's try going up the stairs." And it worked! No pain. Left knee, right knee, left knee, right knee... right up the stairs. Slowly.

Funny how we just decide to try things. Our knees know when they're ready.
 
SusieShoes, my brother married into a large family of warm Italians and I've enjoyed celebrating many a special occasion with them, so I know exactly what you mean. They just go all out and have the BEST food, lol!

Your stair capabilities are just astonishing to me, especially so early in the recovery process. I know *someone* (surgeon, PT, the neighbor's cousin's parrot?) told me going down stairs is generally the very last feat for a TKR, so pat yourself on the back!

P.S. There'd better not be a vacuum, washing machine or a stuffed gorilla in that big box in your living room, lol. If it's not your dream bike, Mr. Shoes will hear from me; hah! :giggle:
 
When I was a child, our TV died. Just before Christmas, dad and I wrapped a large TV sized box and put it under the tree. Mother was sure we went out and bought a TV without her. She was peeved for several days. :scare: Then on Christmas eve we opened the presents. She slowly unwrapped the big box and looked confused since the box was for toilet tissue. We would periodically run out of paper and dad thought it would be a funny gift. Mother did get a laugh out of it and we never ran out of paper again. :heehee: SusieShoes, should you be worried? :praying:
 
I probably should be worried... might be a wrestling ring or maybe a hammock. :heehee:

Had what I hope will be my penultimate PT session today. Can now do full rotations on the recumbent bike. No difficulty. I rather liked doing them, only for 4 minutes. My knees tonight are letting me know they were exercised, but they are not nearly as sore or swollen as I feared they might be. Maybe the bike, in small doses, is to their liking.

Friday is my last PT session unless my OS orders more. He ordered 12 sessions, and 12 is what I will do. I have gotten benefit from PT but feel at this point I can do perfectly well on my own, and I will tell my OS that. I sure hope he agrees! Though I thank PT for some things along the way, and I have come to really like some of my fellow PT patients, I rather despise most of the exercises and feel at this point my knees benefit more from just walking and ADL.

My knees and I are getting along quite well these days...
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom