Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

@katdog, I was surprised when in PT I did step ups, unassisted, and my knees could lift me. No pain on the right and minimal pain on the left. I was impressed, not with myself but at the difference the implants made vs. the original knees. Same muscles and tendons, just a few weeks of sporadic PT and some walking for exercise... and these new knees could do the heavy lifting.

I don't think I'm ready to make foot over foot my preferred means of going up or down full flights of stairs just yet, but I wanted to see if I could do it. Just because I can, though, doesn't mean I'm ready. I'll be ready when doing it the other way seems unnecessary.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, stairs like normal! I'm so amazed! You should be a poster child for TKR!!
 
In my 2nd. walk in the hospital with PT, I stopped and told her that I wanted to check the implant. I lifted my old leg and put all my weight on the new one. Of course, it hurt, but it held me! I was so excited to know that. I knew that quickly that I could trust it to hold me!
 
Yes! That's a great sensation/moment after TKR. My OS stopped by on day 3 post op just as I was heading back to bed. He said:"do something for me, lift your crutches from the floor and balance your weight on both legs" I did. "Now put all your weight on the operated leg, I will stand by"
I questioned his sanity but did as told and it held me up. Yes, (as with you, ) it did hurt, but we were both happy that I could do that almost effortlessly.
 
I can go upstairs pretty normally; it's going down that I still struggle with. But it's been 9 weeks since surgery. Time will bring it all even-Steven.:)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Week 6: My Left Knee

My recovery has been good so far, and I'm pleased enough. As a natural lazy person, sitting around icing and elevating suits me perhaps too well. I do get up and move around, and walk outside every day to fulfill my Os's desired walking goal. I chart my steps/feet walked and get close every day. I like the walking part very much, in particular interacting with the neighbors. It appears half of them are considering knee replacements, or their spouses are, or they know someone who is, and so they're very interested in my progress.

If only my left knee was more with the program. Lefty is doing well enough. He's strong, capable, is gaining extension (he's still not quite there, but getting close) and can perform all the functions of a knee. Unfortunately, though, he hurts whenever he bends. This pain used to be sharp and nasty, and now has dulled to being merely sore. Sometimes very little sore, but more often annoying sore. Like when I'm trying to sleep on my side in bed, and Lefty moves. Ouch. Annoying. Trying to find a position wherein Lefty does not complain... annoying. When walking, the right knee hurts not at all. Lefty hurts with every step. A sore, annoying hurt. I'm not sure what it is, a muscle or tendon, or some other type of soft tissue. The soreness doesn't stop me from walking or performing ADLs. It does not get worse with activity. It calms down only a little with icing.

Now I could stop all the walking, I suppose. I walk about 3000 feet a day, in three 1000 foot walks. Up my block, back down my block, back to my house. It's a pleasant little circuit and it would be a shame if my muscles would backslide (I can tell they're stronger because my balance is so much better this week and my back feels good again) if I stopped doing it. But maybe that's the only way to tame Lefty? I don't do exercises at home. My time on my feet doing ADLs is pretty minimal. Walking is the only thing to cut out. I really don't know.

The kicker is that even with being annoying, Lefty hurts LESS than before surgery! This was an agonizing knee. Just standing up was a level 10 pain experience and walking was 8-9. Lefty hurt for months before surgery. The pain now is so much less I feel I shouldn't really complain. Except... I would really like to not hurt at all. I haven't had that in years, and I would really like that.
 
SusieShoes, if walking really is the only thing you're doing for exercise, how about not doing it for a day or three and see if it improves? It might require even longer, perhaps a week, but it seems a bit of rest might help? I don't think you'll lose gains in the muscle department in just a few days? If that's not an appealing option, how about reducing your walk time to half of what you are now doing?

I certainly don't know, but I don't think Lefty should hurt with every step? Maybe a call to your OS in order, just to reassure you that Lefty is progressing normally? It's really hard to share a body with a Superstar knee, ya know?
 
@Pheebs52, the hurt is every time it bends. Every step includes a bend, so.... Standing, point of impact while walking, don't hurt at all. Anyway, Lefty is a bit more swollen than usual today, I think because of the way I slept. We woke up that way after a night of much knee complaining while trying to side sleep. I'm doing extra icing today and cutting out some of the walking. I have a call in to the OS about the incision/stitch/pimple thing. If he calls back, I'll also bring up Lefty's dilemma. And you're right that having a superstar right knee is not helping matters!
 
Just talked with the OS. He's not worried about either the little red bump on my incision, which he thinks is a suture working its way out (dab it with hydrogen peroxide and call him if it gets worse, redder, or I see pus), or that Lefty is a cranky, sore problem child. He apparently had to clean up some soft tissue damage in there during surgery, so thinks we should give Lefty a bit more time to settle.

Looks like I'm just a Fretful Fanny. :bored:
 
I'm glad you had the conversation with your OS and he is not concerned. Lefty isn't a haggard-laggard, he just took more of a beating, poor baby! Did you ask him about easing up some on the walking?

I can only compare my bionic knee to my natural knee or my pre-surgical knee. I compare it to my pre-surgical state since comparisons to my natural knee are truly unreasonable; a case of apples and oranges. Lefty, as compared to his prior, natural knee existence, is doing really well! He just has that pesky Superstar sister!
 
Week 6: And What a Difference a Day Makes

So yesterday I was all whiny and moaning about Lefty being a laggard--which he was being, make no mistake--and how he was swollen and sore, and forcing me to give up my nice walks. Because I did, I did give up all but my morning walk, and did my Good Knee Mom thing by elevating and icing, and watching ME TV (1960s programs) while calling old friends from the comfort of my recliner. Just ADL and letting the knees have a break.

Last night, instead of trying to get my way by side sleeping, which my brain and the entire rest of my body prefers, I went back to sleeping on my back with my legs elevated on my Lounge Doctor wedge. I've been trying so hard to ditch the thing. The wedge is very helpful, but it's annoying. Among other reasons, apparently I snore a lot on my back, which means Mr. Shoes might have a bad night of sleep. But no matter... Lefty likes the Lounge Doctor. This was amply proven when this morning we (the new knees and I) woke up pain-free.

Tentatively, I lifted Lefty. No pain. I stretched Lefty a little. No pain. I did a little quad squeeze. No pain. Righty is all, like, "Hey, I can do that too!" I told Righty to just chill. I bent Lefty a little. Okay, just a whisper of soreness, but nothing like yesterday. Lefty was feeling good. The swelling was way down, too. So I swung the knees off the bed and started my morning working out of the stiffness.

Every morning, my knees are stiff. Even on their best morning, they're stiffer than they will be the rest of the day. With very little effort and time, though, as I start walking to the bathroom and around the bedroom getting ready for the day, they loosen up nicely. Here at six weeks, unless something like happened yesterday occurs, they are no worse than the pre-surgical stiff knees. By the time I get out of the tub shower, they are pretty loose and good, with only Lefty showing a tiny bit of soreness.

Mr. Shoes told me to just do one walk again today. I might take that advice. I think it's important for my new knees to move around some and, yes, ADLs do that to a good degree. Maybe I'll just take a half walk. Or do a few driveways and not the whole block. My house is a small one with a compact floor plan. From my recliner or sofa, it's literally just fifteen steps to the bathroom, ten to the kitchen, four to the front door. It takes me twenty steps to fetch a snack or bottle of water. Letting out the dog or deciding to sit out on the screen porch is twenty steps. That's a good one. But as you can see, my ADLs don't add up to lots of walking. A full day of ADL might be just 300 steps. This is why I have relied on my little walks for giving my knees more of an opportunity to move.

Then again, tonight I'll be going out to our favorite Indian restaurant with Mr. Shoes. It'll be our first visit since my surgery. I can't wait to have Chicken Tikka Masala, or maybe their special biryani. Good stuff. And, given that we drive there, at least 200 steps from my front door to their booth and back.
 
I think you're doing a good job listening to your knees, Susie. I have a very small floor plan also, just 9 steps from my recovery chair to the bathroom and 24 to the kitchen. So take the one walk today and see how your knees feel tomorrow.

The stiffness in the am will continue for quite a while. When I was working and would shower first thing a hot shower definitely helped loosen my knee as well as the arthritis in my back. I still feel stiff after a long car drive, but a few steps and everything is good.
 
glad to hear you got that sorted out. i feel more of a pressure than a pain when i walk, but my new knee does start to ache after laying (or is it lying, not sure lol) on my side for 10 minutes. you've realized that if it hurts, then rest it for awhile...good call. enjoy your dinner out tonight.
 
Glad to hear Lefty responded well to some mollycoddling!:yes!: I tend to agree with Mr. Shoes on cutting back the walking for another day; color me wary!

Oh, the lounge doctor and back sleeping make me snore like a gorilla, lol. I just can't make myself do it anymore, but I don't find side sleeping all that bad. It may certainly add to my stiffness and throbbing ache in the morning, but so be it.

Like you, my house is on the small side, so getting outdoors (even in parking lots) helps me get a few more steps in.

Enjoy the Chicken Tikka Masala tonight!:SUNsmile:
 
@SusieShoes and @Pheebs52 ~ i finally ordered the Lounge Doctor and can hardly wait for it to arrive ~ might take awhile since shipping from U.S. to Canada. i read a lot of the information on the website and they recommend 20 minutes a day of elevating legs for most people with the exception of those with medical conditions. i wish i had it from the beginning but i'm hoping that it will help with the swelling that doesn't seem to change whether after rest or exercise, although it might be changing internally. i think it will go a long way in helping me to get a better range of motion. how much did you pay for yours? mine came to $120.86 U.S. including shipping charge which equals $159.98 Canadian dollars. this will give me a chance to take over the sofa from hubby and dog, rather than my chair with ottoman.:beer:
 
Mine cost $89.99 on Amazon. It was a standard model, nothing fancy.

Hubby and dog better find a new nest, lol.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom