Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

Mine also cost $89.99 from Amazon, with free shipping. Someone-- @keefsmom maybe? --bought it from the manufacturer's site for less.

There are other wedges around that would also do the job. I happened to like that one for various reasons, including the washable cover. It really is a handy thing to have around.
 
thanks ~ well the canadian dollar is low in comparison so whatever the price, i only hope it will be beneficial. i was impressed with all the info on the website. looking forward to getting a spot on my sofa for elevating properly lol.
 
Good job on getting Lefty to cooperate. Let's hope he keeps it up.
 
Can't remember what I paid...but I use it ALL THE TIME (as we speak). It works on the recliner and the couch and the bed, I'm a fan!
@SusieShoes i try to sleep on back with the lounge MD at least half the night--I usually wake up at like 3:30 or 4:00 and then kick it to the curb and Sleep on my side after that. dont know if it makes me snore cuz I'm down the hall from DH, he's a restless sleeper and a human heater in the summer, so the marital bed might not see me again till September!
 
What your lefty is doing is the same as my lefty (discomfort more than pain and at times a heavy discomfort - and that's with Tylenol arthritis daily) - which is why I have high hopes that when righty is replaced, he/she will be like your righty. As they say, no two knees recover the same. Your discomfort/pain is so normal - you're doing so well - exceedingly above average I would say.

Glad OS is not concerned with what may be a stitch working it's way out. Keep listening to your knees and Mr Shoes. :)
 
Susieshoes, you have excellent listening abilities for your knees! You know them well and you know what they want! Good job! Less is more!
 
How about this kind of Lounge activity?
[Bonesmart.org] SusieShoes' New Knees
 
@Arttie ~ well that's the ultimate goal ~ relaxing on my side with a drink on a lounger on a beach somewhere, preferably the caribbean.:surfer:
 
@SusieShoes and @Pheebs52 I had to have back surgery last May and had to sleep on my back for several weeks. During that time my husband was awake a lot due to my snoring, he recommended I be tested for sleep apnea and sure enough the test showed that I have it. At least while I'm on my back with my TKR I'll be using my CPAP and there won't be any snoring.
 
Arttie, that's brilliant, lol!

@jboles, I've actually been tested for sleep apnea but thankfully don't seem to have it. Just a noisy nose I guess?:groan:It's ok though. Hubby snores and so does my Pug. The Pug is the worst offender!
 
@SusieShoes - it sounds like your left knee and my right knee are in a similar situation. In an ideal world, both my knees would feel like my left one does. But - my right knee was worse going in, so it makes sense that it's taking longer for the recovery.

I hope you had a great time going out to eat!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Maybe you didn't have your reading glasses with you that day? Yeah, that must be it.:heehee:
 
They definitely forgot to show that special to me! Mr. Shoes was right there with me up until I went into the OR, and he would have made sure I signed on for that one, no matter how dopey I was already.
 
@IowaNana, it does sound as though we have mirror knees. Funny how individual these two body parts can be. It's as if they have distinct personalities. Oddly enough, I'm growing fond of the pair.
 
Week 6: Shower Bench Begone!

Seeing as my main outcome goal for this surgery is to become more independent, mobile, and functional, I'm forever looking for ways to rid myself of assistive devices. The walker was the first to go (and good riddance, too, because it smelled horrible), and I'm nearly done with the cane, which I still use on stairs a bit. Right now, the only assistive devices I still use, aside from ice packs, are an elevation wedge and a tub/shower bench.

The shower bench has been perhaps THE most appreciated of devices, because I really, really like being clean and fresh. I take daily showers. I was introduced to the shower bench two days after surgery, in rehab, and its utility became clear: sit and wash. Win! Early in recovery, I could not stand for very long, even if I had a walk-in shower. But I had a tub at home. Really nice shower, but how was I to climb over the edge? I couldn't. My newly operated-on knees were too swollen and painful to bend that much, or balance my weight enough to swing my legs over. The tub bench was a godsend. I've used it every day since coming home.

Today I had Mr. Shoes remove the bench and stand with me as I attempted to get into the tub without it. Using my stronger right leg to stand on, I swung my temperamental left knee up and over. No problem. Lefty may be coming around. I'm hopeful. Then, standing on Lefty, I swung Righty in. No problem. It was almost easy. I have a bar to hold onto, and walls to brace on, and a really good grippy, cushioned tub mat, so all went smoothly.

I showered like a normal person! No energy issues. No balance issues. The knees were good for standing the whole while. It was as if they had moved on and I was just catching up with them. Sometimes it happens that way.

This advance is especially rewarding because we, like many people, have only the one bathing unit. The bathroom downstairs is a powder room. And every other week we have a 94 year old elder living with us who cannot hold his bladder well. When we bathe in the morning, we always run the risk of getting rushed or interrupted. Mr. Shoes has had to switch out bath benches and other paraphernalia for six weeks now. Losing my bath bench (which we can now give over to the old guy--he has serious hygiene issues, which is why we couldn't share) is a HUGE time saver. We're thanking our stars for one less recovery headache.

Anyway, I have graduated from my tub bench. I'm practically giddy about it. At the same time, I'm grateful to the homely thing. It did its job well. It was there for me when I needed it. Anyone who is looking at getting bilateral knee replacements should seriously look at getting one. I'm not going to miss mine, exactly, but I will remember it fondly. And I am so very stoked about taking normal showers from now on!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom