TKR SusieB in recovery

I did. As long as you have a soft towel between your knee and the ice pack, you'll be fine.
 
Hi was 4 week on Tuesday!
My incision is healed over finally ... so on to doing more exercises and spending a little more time in the little pedal bike while I sit in the chair!
Walking 1-2 miles a day not all at once!
Have stopped most of my medications due to stomach upset from Antibiotics! Feeling better each day...not so down in the dumps and bored!
This is a process and none of us are the same but it is comforting to know we are all here for each other with encouragement, suggestions and advice!
A New Knee is a change for all of us and I wish everyone all the Best as we work on our ROM and everything else!!!!
 
I’m happy to hear you’re not feeling as down in the dumps. Getting out every a bit helps, but 4 weeks is often when TKRs feel a bit more normal. It can also be hard to contain yourself, so try not to overdo too much at this point.
 
Well it was 5 weeks ago today I got my LTKR!!! I guess if you can make it through the first 5 weeks you are almost home!! Knee is coming along and time will get the bend but so glad I didn’t do PT!!! It works on it own in time and that’s the truth!!
Thank you for all the advice along the way! Also the pick me ups when I needed them from all the people on the site here to help and support!
It is a process and wish everyone a speedy recovery!!
 
Ok ... today I noticed shiny clear drainage from the pin hole in the incision.... which I thought was closed up!! Now What??
 
That's probably just some fluid draining out, but I'll tag @Josephine to get her opinion.
 
Yup at like 2 weeks i had the hole and was put on preventative antibiotics it scabbed over and last week the scab came off just a little oozing now!
 
I'm sure Josephine will respond when she can. In the meantime, don't worry!
 
Our bodies are quite juicy and healing wounds are even more so, so a little oozing now is probably nothing to worry about. How is the knee doing otherwise? Any redness or pain? You’ve been recovering wonderfully so far.
 
It's not uncommon for a small hole/wound to scab over and then open up again. As long as it's clear fluid and only a little dribble, just put an ordinary bandaid on it and leave it be for a while - like a few days.
 
Our bodies are quite juicy and healing wounds are even more so, so a little oozing now is probably nothing to worry about. How is the knee doing otherwise? Any redness or pain? You’ve been recovering wonderfully so far.

No redness and No pain! Just the pinhole oozing! My knee is still a little swollen!

Our bodies are quite juicy and healing wounds are even more so, so a little oozing now is probably nothing to worry about. How is the knee doing otherwise? Any redness or pain? You’ve been recovering wonderfully so far.
It's not uncommon for a small hole/wound to scab over and then open up again. As long as it's clear fluid and only a little dribble, just put an ordinary bandaid on it and leave it be for a while - like a few days.

Thanks I will keep an eye on it....
 
@SusieB When I had oozing from my stitches my doc told me to apply antibiotic cream and keep the area covered with a bandaid. My daily routine was to clean it with soap and water (gently), then pat dry, then apply ointment and bandaid. I did that morning and night. It all eventually healed. I used sterile cotton to clean and pat dry. The antibiotic cream was over the counter. Neosporin or bacitracin, can't remember which. So frustrating and frightening I know - however, you will eventually close up and be fine. Hang in there. P.S. I had to switch to bandaids for sensitive skin because I became allergic to the adhesive in regular bandaids.
 
It's best not to apply any creams to your wound, unless they are prescribed by your doctor/surgeon.
Just keep it clean and dry.
 
When I had oozing from my stitches my doc told me to apply antibiotic cream and keep the area covered with a bandaid.
OTC antibiotc creams are how we ended up with superbugs like MRSA. So please don't do that. Mostly these little holes are best left alone and covered with a bandaid. They will heal and all the quicker for not being messed with!
 
I have been leaving it alone ... nothing on it!!
I agree with the antibiotics and superbugs ... don’t want to go there!!!
 
Woot woot 6 weeks today!
Really have had no complaints of pain since day one! I’m one of the lucky ones I guess!
Yes I have tightness and some swelling but that’s about all!
I haven’t done any PT and just walk and do daily life things! Each week is better than the last with movement, sleeping and everything that goes with the TKR!!
I do still have a Pin Hole Leak in the Incision! It was there at Week 2-3 when Staples came out! Went on antibiotics and had weekly wound check for 2 weeks .... scabbed over... scab fell off now at 5-6 weeks there is a little ooze again!! Seeing the Dr again tomorrow to have him look at it! It’s not red or anything just fluid popping out!! If I didn’t have this I guess I’d be the perfect patient!! So lucky so far... hope it continues and that pin hole closes soon!
Will let you know what the OS says!!
Best Wishes to all my fellow healing TKR’s!!
 
Yes, you’ve had an amazing recovery! I think not over working a tender new knee is part of that. Please let us know what the dr says about the pin hole.
 
Ok regarding the Pin Hole Leak!!!

OS is concerned but also thinks it is OK meaning he thinks it’s coming from an internal stitch that is dissolving!

He said he’s not putting me on antibiotics unless there is a change to the incision tissue and look of it! He said the antibiotics are strong and they made me feel so bad!! I can’t take Penicillin other drugs of choice are nasty!

He said to keep it dry!
Let it open to the air to dry out and scab over!
Cover when showering to keep it dry!

Keep swelling down ice more... nurse thinks I’m not icing enough... so as I’m writing this I’ve got it elevated and ice!!

Have to let OS know what it looks like in a week meaning if it has a scab!! Or if it changes in looks, let them know sooner!
I can remove my Ted Stockings now and I’m sure the puff/swelling in the knee will migrate down to lower leg and take the pressure off the knee!

He’s confident it will mend its self... but if there is anything you can recommend please let me know!

We are heading north for the summer in about 3 weeks and he gave me the OK if things continue to scab and heal and I will see him again in October when we return!!!!

He is Happy with my ROM at 6 weeks.... which makes me Happy!!! I am so glad I opted for the NO PT which he is totally ok with he says just move it and it will be fine ... which he has said from the beginning!

As always Best Wishes to all the TKR’s who are healing and mending!!
 
KarriB, I sure can’t complain about the TKR process at all my experience has been Awesome!
I’m not one to sit around so that I must admit has probably been the hardest part! But it is part of the healing and you knee needs you to sit, ice and rest!! If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me it hasn’t been bad!
There are lots of people out there dealing with much worse than this.... this I can handle!
My knee will be GREAT and I will be able to do lots more without my old painful knee!!
 
Your OS is a very smart surgeon! I wish they all felt that way. I was blessed with a good one, too.
 
Back
Top Bottom