TKR SusieB in recovery

Well I’m back with my leaky pin hole leak almost 9 weeks Post Op! Seems like every time my leg/knee swells a little and then a little bend to the knee causes a little synovial fluid to come out!! OS thinks it’s a stitch trying to get out Don’t cover with bandaid. How do I keep infection from moving in which is my worry as it’s going on for so long??
It's bound to be fairly superficial and since the fluid is clear, there is no need to worry about infection. As it happens, I had a pacemaker installed a few weeks ago and I have a stitch poking out - about 1-2mm long. But it's dried around the suture material and unlikely to cause any problems. I think your 'stitch' will do so too, eventually.

Well I’m back with my leaky pin hole leak almost 9 weeks Post Op! Seems like every time my leg/knee swells a little and then a little bend to the knee causes a little synovial fluid to come out!! OS thinks it’s a stitch trying to get out Don’t cover with bandaid. How do I keep infection from moving in which is my worry as it’s going on for so long??
It's bound to be fairly superficial and since the fluid is clear, there is no need to worry about infection. As it happens, I had a pacemaker installed a few weeks ago and I have a stitch poking out - about 1-2mm long. But it's dried around the suture material and unlikely to cause any problems. I think your 'stitch' will do so too, eventually.

Thanks for the reassurance.... Love you Guys!!

Well I’m back with my leaky pin hole leak almost 9 weeks Post Op! Seems like every time my leg/knee swells a little and then a little bend to the knee causes a little synovial fluid to come out!!

OS thinks it’s a stitch trying to get out which you also here at Bone Smart also think. I haven’t put anything on the leak. Don’t cover with bandaid. How do I keep infection from moving in which is my worry as it’s going on for so long??

My OS 2 weeks ago didn’t want to put me on another round of antibiotics. He’s not worried but he said it’s a concern with the new knee!! So I report to him last week report was scarred over . Now leaking again!

Guess I’m looking for reassurance from you all!!!!

Just a little up date.... my OS put me on a week of Antibiotics..... will see what happens! Pin hole leak weeps a little when I really bend my knee past 90 degrees. Wish it would close up!

Just a little up date.... my OS put me on a week of Antibiotics..... will see what happens! Pin hole leak weeps a little when I really bend my knee past 90 degrees. Wish it would close up!

@SusieB I had a similar issue at about 3 - 4 weeks post op, because my stitches developed abscesses due to the suture material not dissolving and absorbing into my system the way it should have. I had three or four of those suckers on each knee. So scary and frustrating, so I feel your anxiety. However, I was put on antibiotics too, and they did eventually close up and resolve. Hang in there. (I may have already posted about this on your thread, and if so, sorry to repeat. Have a good Sunday - this will get better.)

Well they are Giving Me Another week of antibiotics for the Stubborn Pin Hole Leak in my incision!

I am on week 10 Post TKR!!!
Everything else is going Great! Back to the North Woods of Wisconsin!

It was like at 9weeks:
My knee stopped swelling!
I can sleep on my side more ...
Started doing steps here as where we came
From had no steps!
Tingly feeling on knee has lessened!

For those of you still dealing with all the ups and downs .... there is light at the end of the tunnel! Hang in there have patience and stay Positive!!
We’re here to Cheer you On!!!

The light at the end is getting brighter! Yea!

Well almost four months Post TKR....still have Pin Hole In Incision!!!!!
For two week there was no leaking!!! Yesterday scab came off.... this is kind of Gross but want to know your thoughts!!!!
Scab had a little tail on it... so I pushed on the sides of it out came white mucus followed by what looked like cottage cheese! It all was very white no odor!
Need to know what you think!
I have been sending weekly pictures to my OS and looked like it was closing!

@SusieB, I would call my OS and tell him what happened with the scab and the discharge from the pinhole.

It’s always best to err on the side of caution and I’d want my surgeon to know about any discharge. It could be this was just a plug that adhered to the scab and the discharge is nothing to be concerned about. However, I’d want to have a medical professional make that call, not just make an assumption of my own.

Let us know what your OS says.

@SusieB If its any consolation, my incision with all its abscesses and rash issues didn't completely close up until about the end of month 3. I happened to be scrolling through old photos on my iPhone this week-end looking for my favorite photo of my dad (for father's day), and I came across my post surgery knee pics. Oh my gosh, so gross - red and angry during the infection, then big fat ugly abscesses (about 3 on each knee) from the allergic reaction I had to the subcutaneous stitches, then a nasty pic of when one of the darn things had broken open and blood was streaming down my leg (I took that one to MAKE my OS assistant to PAY ATTENTION - she did and so did he (OS), then after that came the rashes which at first they thought was a fungus, but when it wouldn't clear up I finally took myself to the dermatologist and she diagnosed a psoriasis and prescribed a cream. Ten days later rash was gone. And after the three month mark I didn't have any more issues with the stitch area - Thank God!!!!!. So I am sharing that rather grim history for you on your thread to give you hope that it sometimes just takes a long time for the darn things to completely close up. However, I totally agree with @SusieShoes that you should call your OS office and tell them about it in great detail. I know its scary stuff, because I went through some of that myself. Hang in there!

Thanks for the encouragement.... I have an appointment to see another OS in Wisconsin next week on the 10th! Surgery was done in Florida but we are in Wisconsin for the summer.
Today scab popped again from the pin hole leak in incision and more white gunk came out so, now I’m getting worried!
I’m hoping I don’t have a deep seated infection in the knee joint.... I’m wondering if the infection is deeper than just below the skin from a stitch????
It’s not red or sore just that it won’t heal and then the oozing every once in a while is a scare to me..... it’s been a little over 4 months! This has been my only problem with the TKR!!! Since week 2 after staples came out!
I’m calling tomorrow to see if I can get the appointment moved to ASAP!

Hi @SusieB! Sorry to hear you are continuing to have incision leakage. :sad: Did you call your surgeon a couple weeks ago? What did he or she have to say?

You’re doing the right thing to call the surgeon in WI. If nothing else I hope you get to talk with someone about what is happening.

Chance are this is still a superficial issue but you need to have a doctor check it out to be sure and to treat it so it goes away!

Hi @SusieB! Sorry to hear you are continuing to have incision leakage. :sad: Did you call your surgeon a couple weeks ago? What did he or she have to say?

You’re doing the right thing to call the surgeon in WI. If nothing else I hope you get to talk with someone about what is happening.

Chance are this is still a superficial issue but you need to have a doctor check it out to be sure and to treat it so it goes away!

I had appointment set for July 11th called this morning and I am going to see the Surgeon bright and early tomorrow morning, he was off today or I’d have been there today!
I’m nervous least to say and hope it is still superficial!
The drainage is not so white any more and I’m sure it is infected.... that was just waiting to happen after being open for 4 plus months!!!
This surgeon I’m going to see was actually in the practice where I had my surgery in Florida so he knows and has spoke with my OS...that’s why I got in so quick! He was just winding down his practice when I had my TKR before his move to Wisconsin! So he knows my surgeon and his quality of work!
Praying for the Best!

Hopefully it’ll be an easy fix, but seeing a dr is the right thing to do.

Praying that it's just a stubborn stitch!

Well here is what the Surgeon said today!!!
Had my TKR on February 27, 2018!
I have had a Pin Hole Leak in my incision since week two of LTKR! Was told it was probably a stubborn stitch just below the surface in the lower part of my incision! I was put on prophylactic antibiotics for a couple of weeks... off for a couple of weeks and back on for a week or two!
In between I had clear fluid leak from the hole periodically....my surgery was in Florida and in May we headed north for the summer! My surgeon asked that I send weekly pictures which I did of the scab over the hole ... showing no redness around the site!
On July 16 the scab fell off ... I massaged the area around the hole and some white liquid followed by some white mucus and what looked like cottage cheese! I’m thinking it’s the stitches that we’re trying to surface! It continued to ooz clear liquid for some time after....I sent a message to the Surgeon in Florida who then told me that any drainage after all this time .... now going on 4 months pre op was not normal and to seek out a surgeon in the north and him look at it! It then started to ooz more white now looking like white pus! So, I moved my appointment up and saw the Surgeon today!
I was very nervous and apprehensive as I knew all of the above was a bad thing just waiting to happen!
An infected knee!!!!
He did X-rays a Sed Rate, a CRP did a synovial fluid culture! I will see him next week Tuesday again!
He said that little Pin Hole Leak would not heal as something wasn’t right inside ..... he said it may be superficial but then discussed the what if’s!
IV Antibiotics for 6 weeks maybe longer... removal of the infected replacement parts ... temporary joint.... maybe more IV antibiotics and down the road a revision of the knee!
I was so strong going into this TKR and did so well with the recovery.... except for that Pin Hole Leak which I think was kind of brushed off !!!!!!
I knew in my heart it was not right as what ever comes out something could also enter in!!! Now here I am with a great sadness as I hope and pray I don’t have to go through any of the above but I also know in my heart that it will be a miracle if I don’t!!!!
I felt like a text book patient....My knee surgery was perfect and recovery but, now I’m not so sure what I will end up with! I am very worried!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads