TKR SusieB in recovery

It's probably still a wound infection that hasn't spread to your knee joint. The synovial fluid culture will clarify that.

Did they take a swab of the discharge itself?
 
I agree with Celle. I had a full blown infection with full blown seepage running down my leg like a stream. If they decide you need IV antibiotics it’s not too big of a deal and something you can do yourself everyday. No swimming with it, but that’s about the only restriction you’d have.
 
No, no culture as there was no drainage! I looked online and so far the Sed rate and the C-reactive protein are normal as well as the preliminary check of the Synovial fluid looks normal .... praying the culture will be Negative!!!
Thanks for you comments and hope and pray is just the incision and not any deeper!!
 
Can someone explain the layering of the TKR wound?
Knee components are put in .... closing over with the muscle and tendons over the components with internal stitches ..... then skin is stapled!!
If infection is under the skin from incision ..... how can infection not get to the new in place Knee components????
 
Knee components are put in .... closing over with the muscle and tendons over the components with internal stitches, then skin is stapled!! If infection is under the skin from incision. How can infection not get to the new in place knee components?
If the main wound is securely sutured and the infection in the skin, then it's unlikely it will progress into deeper layers. In fact, the internal layers are very often sealed tight shut within 2-3 days. Not actually healed, of course, but water tight anyway. So there is no route from under the skin to deeper into the wound for the bacteria to go.
 
Well went to Dr today.... scheduled for surgery July 30th!!
Revision I&D of my knee!
He doesn’t think the infection is deep in the knee ... as all the tests are showing no infection there!
That is good news .... but he is going to reopen the incision and clean whatever is causing the spot (pin hole) not to heal!!! Then check to see if it goes deeper and may replace the spacer in the knee .... same surgery basically as before but not as bad I’m hoping!!!
Just hoping my Florida Insurance will cover it all... first they say hospital isn’t in Network then the next person says it is!! Just Crazy!! I’m more optimistic now that I know what they will be doing and won’t hopefully need a second revision!
I did so well the first time around February 27th, 2018 and now just have to keep the faith I will do the same or better!!! Not really sure what to expect the second time around with discomfort????
 
Well I had a washout/spacer exchange a month after TKR. The first few days were painful and getting up hurt like the dickens, but it wasn’t as bad as the TKR. My OS ordered no bending because my soft tissue was compromised from the infection and washout. He wanted it heal and not be aggravated. I also had a team of infectious disease drs who prescribed 2 antibiotics, one IV through a PICC line and another orally. Because the pain wasn’t as bad for me, I didn’t need the same strength of medication as I did for the TKR. So I spent a lot of time resting again, but I did return to work part time 2 months after the washout surgery. But remember everyone is different. I hope all goes well for you.
 
Good to hear your surgeon is dealing with this annoying pinhole! I’ll be crossing my fingers the infection is only skin-deep and you don’t require anything beyond a cleanup of the incision. If you need more, though, people like KarrieB can give you lots of great information!

I’m so sorry you’re dealing with all of this! You have so much positivity I wish you could bottle it. Just keep that going and you will get back on track.
 
Well I was scheduled for an irrigation debridement and possible poly exchange on July 30th!
Because of a Pin Hole Leak in the Incision that had been oozing since about the 2nd week in March after my LTKR on February 27 2018! In Mid June it started oozing more white rather than clear ... my surgery was in Florida and I’m in Wisconsin for the summer! OS in Florida said I needed to see someone which I did and he said I needed the above surgery ... all testing indicated that I didn’t have a deep knee infection but to be on the side of caution he wanted to clean it out..... probably a Stitch Abcess!
Well about a week ago the Pin Hole Spit a Stitch.... when speaking to the surgical nurse the week prior to surgery I mentioned the above and she connected me to the Nurse of the OS.... she called me back and said the Dr wanted to wait a week and see if the Pin Hole will heal up on it’s own!!! So far it has not had any oozing since the stitch came Out!!! I will be calling to see what he wants me to do now??
I know this is good news ... I have looked at many articles on the internet regarding stitch abscesses ... and you can have a sterile stitch abcess ... which means it is not infected!!!! How after almost 5 months having an open Hole and it not being infected is to me a Miracle!!!
I will let you know what happens at the end of the week and what they say!!!!
 
That sounds like some really good news!
 
Well, that was one annoying stitch! I’m glad it worked itself out but what a slow poke. With any luck your pin hole will now close and you will have no more surprises!
 
SusieB I am holding my breath hoping and praying for a positive outcome for you. Hang in there !
 
Thanks for the prayers..... I will send a picture on Thursday to the OS that was to do the surgery on July 30th!!
So far so good no drainage just the pit of the pin hole in my incision!!! Will leaving the hole there be ok if it is healed/closed?? Just wondering if Down the road it could cause problems??
 
@SusieB,
I had a somewhat similar experience with a “tunneling” wound following abdominal surgery. In my case I had to pack the opening with sterile gauze and a light covering, but it did eventually heal and never got infected. My surgeon indicated that as long as I kept changing the packing and dressing and kept it clean, all would be fine. Took over two months to finally heal and close.
 
Prayers Answered!!
I sent a picture on Thursday to the OS that postponed my irrigation, debridement and possible poly spacer exchange.
I have had no oozing from the Tunneling Pin Hole in my incision for almost 2 weeks!!!
The OS said that he is confident due to my labs and synovial fluid being negative for infection that after the spitting of the piece of stitch that I do NOT need the surgery!!!!! He did say if it does ooze at anytime to call him!
The Pin Hole was there since 2nd week in March and my original surgery was February 27th... drained clear fluid till June 16th and then oozed yuckier stuff till 2 weeks ago...so almost 4months!!!!!
Stitch Abcess but I’m thinking it was a Sterile Stich Abcess ... Lucky for Me!!!
Miracle for me was in the 4 months of being open it didn’t get infected and .... it spit that piece of stitch one week before I was scheduled for a Very unwanted surgery!!! Someone was watching over me!!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom