Guest viewing is limited

TKR SusieB in recovery

I don’t know if my knee was so bad that this is a relief or what?

Sometimes that's a big part of it. :) My knees hurt so much before surgery (upon first examining me, my OS asked, "How are you walking?") that my pain post-surgery never seemed all that bad most of the time. For walking and standing, they weren't any worse than my pre-op knees!

It's really wonderful you aren't having any pain issues. So many people do. Plus all that resting and sleeping is really giving your knee a chance to heal.
 
Thanks for the encouragement!

I know I sure feel sorry for those experiencing pain. Tightness and a little swelling is all I have!!! Will continue to move along. I’m averaging about 2,000 steps around the house a day... I don’t know if this is average or should be doing

More 1 week Post Op today!!!
Wow I made it to Week 2 WOW!!

Well heading into Week 2... we will see what it brings??
So far so good tightness and a little swelling is all I have!

My heels have gotten tender from being on my back so much when resting and sleeping! Solution to that ..... got some bubble wrap made a triple pad of the layers and put the 12 x18 Bubble Wrap under my heels and Voila, heels are better not rubbing on the sheet!
Hope all of you are on the mend and pain is lessening for all of you!!
 
Really smart move with the bubble wrap! Sore heals is a common complaint, myself included. I never thought about using bubble wrap. I will next time!
 
I agree, that bubble wrap was brilliant!
 
Nice idea with the bubble wrap!

Your step count is better than most will do. As long as your knees are telling you they're okay with that amount of walking, you're doing good. I certainly wasn't doing that many steps by the second week! I was hobbling my way to the bathroom a few times a day and maybe getting in 1000 steps with my walks. The thing is, this is your knee and your recovery and you apparently have both an amazing new knee and an amazing attitude!
 
Agree, I will see how I keep progressing! I do have a lot of bruising appearing behind my knee! Im still icing when not up and about! I get the big bandaid and staples removed on Thursday! I can’t believe a whole week has passed since my surgery! Let me know if the bruising is a concern? I would believe it’s pretty normal and would be a pooling area from Laying with leg straight so much!
 
I had bruising for about 1½ weeks or so. It gradually went away. Keep with the positive attitude. It helps a lot.
 
I also had bruising right after surgery, in both legs of course. I think I said at the time it looked like a bison had done a dance on them. Black. Blue. The bruises went away after a few weeks except for on patch on my right leg that’s still a little tan-looking. It’s fading slower. My OS told me the bruises were blood from the surgery pooling in the lower limbs.

If the bruise should become extremely tender, have it checked out by your OS. You’re unlikely to develop blood clots if up and about, but it’s best to be safe. So far, what you describe sounds completely normal. :)
 
SusieShoes, oh my gosh you made me laugh... such an analogy Bison Dancing on your leg(s) but you are right that’s exactly what it looks like!!!

I know too it is pooling from laying flat and behind the knee is where is gonna go!!
Today is another wonderful day in the world of TKR!

Tomorrow is another step in recovery Staples and the Bandaid they put on will come off ... I don’t know if they put some strips on or bandage ... guess I’ll find out tomorrow!!
Life is good, Cheers to all my Recovery Friends!!

On a Sad note though which is hard to even type about.... my dear friend who owns the Cottage next to ours in Northern Wisconsin lost her 19 year old Grand daughter!
She was murdered by a 29 year old who turned himself in on Sunday, in Milwaukee WI! She died a horrific death at the hands of this man! She and her brother were raised by their grandma and Grandpa at a young age! When the Grandpa turned 50 he had a massive heart attack and died! Which left the Gma and a broken heart! Their real mom wanted to help and she would take them off and on! Well the daughter after high school wanted to live with her mom to get the love she never had from a mom! Well that was the worst choice for all including her daughter!

Will the mom ever take responsibility for what happened to the daughter under her watch? Probably not as she has never taken responsibility for anything! My heart goes out to he Grandma and her Brother!!! So Sad but had to Vent!!
 
So sad about your friend and the granddaughter.

Just wanted to say I had really awful bruising that lasted quite a long time - it gradually moved down my legs, turning darker and uglier with each passing day. I would say it took about six weeks for all of it to dissipate. But then I have always bruised easily.
 
How tragic and terrible about your friend’s granddaughter! I’m from Milwaukee and still read the news from there daily because my mother lives there and I have so much family in Wisconsin. I read about this murder and feel so much sympathy for your friend. May you be of comfort to her in this troubled time.
 
Yup I noticed a new patch of bruising down the leg.... thanks for the heads up!! This to shall pass!
 
It is horribly sad! They retracted wording in the tidal of the article! I’m sure to save the family face in the community! It is what it is ... thanks for your care and concern! Who’d ever thought you would be connected to someone who knew her and her family! Sorry if you read the horrific report but now you can see why I’m so sad! I knew the beautiful happy girl in the picture, not the one who put herself in harms way!!!
 
Well staples out steri strips on ... I guess so far this has been a good experience for me ... so far knock on wood!
I am walking with a cane as of today... only as the Dr is afraid of falls!!Dr said I don’t have to do PT as I’ve already got a good range of motion! He said to keep doing the home exercises he gave me and walk, walk, walk!!! He recommended the little pedal bike while sitting 2 times a day for 20 min! Ice and rest! He did give me a script to go to PT if I think I need it down the road!
So, everyone else you can do it!!! Guess I’m one of the lucky ones no scar tissue build up, not much swelling, no inflammatory reaction ... thank the Lord!!
I sure hope this continues and will keep you updated as to any bumps in the road!!
 
Dr said I don’t have to do PT as I’ve already got a good range of motion!
Wonderful! You have done remarkable and are already cut loose from PT after only 9 days! That another OS that knows what's best for his patient! The nice thing about it, is you can go back to PT if you so desire, but why would you when youre doing so well!
 
Does the doctor want you to continue with a walker instead of the cane to avoid falls? I think sometimes we stick with the walker for a while to make sure we're taking it slow and steady and not getting overconfident. :bicycle2:
 
Yup I have a cane! But i still use the walker around the house... just in case!
 
I still use the walker outside, sometimes, like if I’m going up and down hills, and at night when I’m groggy and going to the bathroom.
 
I kept my walker next to my bed for months just to stabilize myself when I first stood up getting out of bed. Then I could walk away without it.
 
Back
Top Bottom