Guest viewing is limited

TKR Susie-Q's 2nd TKR Recovery Thread

I normally run fairly warm but even when we've had nice days in the 70s lately, I'm wearing socks and using a blanket on the couch, two blankets at night. My feet are often cold and sometimes my finger tips too.

I'm so glad you raised this because I've been wondering the same thing. I wrap myself in a fleece (with the icing leg sticking out) during the day and in bed. And my feel are SOOOO cold, I put on heavy socks today.

Would love to hear others' experiences.
 
Hi @DadGramps, hopefully the moderators will come and make a thread for you so you can get your answers you need and not having it hidden in my recovery thread. I don't mind, of course, but I know they'd like you to have your own thread so you can get the answers you need.
 
@benne68 , the first few days I literally had numb fingertips! I'm sure it has something to do with having surgery. Either that or all the blood in my body is in my knee!! (which is warm, doc says that's normal) I wondered if others felt the same way. I'm almost always cold now, had to dig out my winter pjs over the past few weeks and my long-sleeved shirts and warm fuzzy socks and I still need a blanket. I've also seemed to have developed a "nap" time somewhere between 3-5pm. I literally get tired and need at least a half hour nap then. :heehee: :zzz::zzz::zzz:
 
For those that might be interested, here are the x-rays taken at my surgeon's office on Sept 16th (2.5 weeks post-op). Right implant is a De Puy (not sure if I'm spelling that right) from 11 years ago and the new left implant is a Stryker. Front view, side view, top view.

IMG_2466.jpeg
IMG_2467.jpeg
IMG_2468.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 30

Yesterday I forgot to take my 4pm oxy dose so yesterday I only took one dose in the morning and one at night. Today will be the same and then is the decision of whether to just stop them all together. I feel the need to hoard those last 8 pills "just in case". I do have a little more pain than when I'm not taking them but it's still only in the 2-4 range and mostly stiffness. Still taking Tylenol and Advil around the clock and icing/elevating on the reclining couch. My incision seems to be more tender and sensitive. Not sure if it's just part of the healing process or because I'm not taking as many pain killers. Mainly sensitive to the touch. I have a very wiggly young lab and I have to watch to make sure she doesn't rub herself on my leg or wack me with her tail when she gets excited. I need to get out and walk to the corner today as part of my PT, tomorrow maybe another house or two up the street and back. Lower left leg is still bruised and a little sensitive. We removed the elevated toilet seat a couple of weeks ago (our toilets are taller than average), I haven't used the shower chair for a couple of weeks, I don't need it.

I feel like I'm able to do a lot more now. I can prepare my own quick meals, longer ones with my daughter's help, laundry and dishes. Hubby still takes out the trash, walks the dog, vacuums, and prepares my ice machine. I haven't been to the grocery store yet but I think that will be soon. Someone needs to go to Costco but I will let hubby do that, I think that's too much for me yet. I think I will drive myself to PT tomorrow since I'm basically off the oxy now. I haven't driven in a month!! My sister invited me to a winery on Fri night so that will be nice to get out of the house. I will let her drive though as I'm sure I will be a big lightweight after a month of not having any wine. A friend invited me to the Tacoma Dome for their annual holiday festival the 3rd weekend of Oct but I know I'm definitely not ready for that much walking so I told her next year!

All in all feeling much better than a month ago, that's for sure! I feel like I lost the whole month of September though. Summer turned into fall pretty quickly, the leaves are changing and falling and we have rain. I'm ready to decorate for fall now and will have my son get the boxes out of the garage for me. I can slowly work on putting stuff up in between resting and icing on the couch, even if it takes me a week!!! I've been thinking about it and I think for Halloween we will do what we did last year during the pandemic and put our bench across the porch with a big bowl of candy and a sign to say help yourself but leave some for others. Then I don't have to walk back and forth to the door a 1000 times or sit there for 2 hours. (we get a lot of trick or treaters, usually). Plus then the added bonus of no doorbell to wig the dog out every few minutes. I tracked myself one year with my Fitbit and it was at least 2 miles of walking from the family room to the front door and back to pass out all that candy! Great if you have two good knees!

Sorry for being so wordy! I applaud anyone who read all the way through this! :yay:
 
Don’t apologize for sharing! Great to hear all your activities and plans. You seem sensible about what you can and cannot do. Your report is encouraging for others who are struggling.
 
I hope so, @Sisterpat . I realize we often hear from people on here who hare having troubles and need help but there are many people who have pretty good outcomes and I know I like to read about them too. :fingersx: that things keep going well on this end.
 
Ok, I hope I'm not going to regret this but....... I decided to drive to my local drugstore today to get a few things. It's only a mile away, although I did end up doing a loop. I figured it would be good to see how it goes for tomorrow when I drive myself to PT. I went to a drive thru espresso to get a coffee and a drive thru for lunch, then to the drug store, drive up cash machine and finally home. I had to get out at our mailbox because we had a package in the package box. My goodness, I feel like I did a workout! I thought the drug store would be a good precursor to a grocery store somewhere down the line and eventually Costco someday (not yet!). The store is small and you can park right in front. It really is amazing how much stamina I've lost and how much we take for granted the ease at which we could just go to the store and run errands. Whew! :yawn: The concentration it takes to drive, getting in and out of the car, etc, all takes a toll. Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know about my possible stupidity:heehee: Icing and elevating now......
 
No lasting effects from Tuesday's activities....

PT measured me yesterday at 94/95 and still somewhere between 1-2 on extension. Still experiencing a lot of fatigue. Just tired at certain times of the day. I know it's normal. I tried sleeping again without the ice machine last night but woke up around 2-3 fidgety and stiff. I ended up going to get an ice pack and strapping it on my knee and went back to sleep. Took some Advil. No oxy last night or this morning. Woke up feeling super fatigued and tired.
 
Ok, I would like to change my answer on the "no lasting effects from Tuesday's activities". What I meant was no extra pain but what I think I have instead is increased fatigue. I can't explain the reason why I'm suddenly so tired other than I'm recovering from a lot of extra activity from Tues/Wed.
 
@Susie-Q …

Thank you for sharing. I had a similar experience last night. It scared me so, I dragged myself out of bed and did my exercises! I too am chilling today, totally. Thanks to you, I don’t feel so guilty, pampering the knee today.

I wish you much continued success on our healing journey.
 
Well, I discovered there may be another reason for fatigue and tiredness and that is a UTI! I've been feeling an increased urgency for the past few days plus some pain after emptying my bladder and I went in this afternoon and low and behold, I have a UTI. No wonder I have felt out of it lately. Antibiotics are ordered and I will get probiotics and a big jug of cranberry juice (low sugar). I can't remember the last time I had a UTI, it's been at least 20 years.

Had PT today and I am officially at 100. It's easier to sit with both feet on the floor and knees bent now. My sister invited my daughter and I to a winery she's a member of tonight and I think I will be fine to sit in a chair for an hour and a half. I will not have to drive so there's that added bonus.

Hope everyone had a good week, it's Friday! :yay:
 
It's getting to where I can't use the ice machine at night anymore. It chills my body down way too much and I can't fall asleep. My feet get cold and I eventually start shivering even though I'm wearing winter pjs, socks and have two fleece blankets on me. It has cooled down quite a bit here and my bedroom always runs very cool. Is anyone else having this trouble?
 
I still use it faithfully night & day, and am praying to stop doing so soon. However, as my activity has increased so have the stiffness and aches...necessitating the ice. I am one of those who gets cold as soon as the wind blows wrong, so I am the same way with the machine. But, I need it so I have become accustomed to it. I put the covers over it, so everything stays cozy. During the day while I am working from home I wear sweats, finger-less gloves, and pulled out my trusty desktop heater October 1st (which warms my hands which turn sickly white just from a 2 degree change). I sympathize but I would be miserable without my ice (never thought I'd say that!)
 
You‘ve been doing a lot. You think that just going through drive throughs and small stores isn’t very taxing but it’s the mental energy and concentration that makes you tired. You are only a little over 4 weeks out from major surgery. You are doing really great but be careful not to over do it. You talk about always feeling cold and it did make me remember that when I got over tired I also felt the cold. I recovered here in hot and humid Florida where the A/C is on constantly so I had extra blankets and my non slip socks plus a wrap when sitting elevated and icing !
 
Yeah, @Gingerbread , I'm having the same relationship with the ice machine. I want/need it but it's making me freezing at night. We have a space heater in our bedroom for when it really gets cold and maybe I'll turn it on for a bit tonight prior. I have also been dumb and should be trying a Tylenol PM on these nights when I am having trouble falling asleep and just laying there feeling cold. (I am realizing this after I've already taken regular Tylenol so can't take any more)

I have been doing a lot but the UTI has been making me more tired than I should be. Feeling better tonight, hoping those antibiotics are kicking it now....
 
The UTI most definitely could be causing your chills. Your body is fighting the infection as well as trying to heal the knee. That's a double punch on your system as a whole. Are you taking vitamins, etc...? It's important to keep your strength up for healing but especially now we are vulnerable as our bodies are giving all our resources to our knees.
 
@Susie-Q Post-op Blues, I had no idea they would be so ever present. My life has become a groundhog day. Awaken, do mental check in to access physical pain/ability/frame of mind. Reading, Netflix-ing, icing, overthinking. E V E R Y day for 12 weeks. It's my sedentary life and I have never been sedentary. I would love to be able to say tomorrow is another day, but it isn't, it's the same.
I see my OS on Wednesday for my final appointment after surgery. I have no idea what to ask him except the question, am I where I should be? And how can he really answer that. I really want to know will it get better and better?
 
Yeah, yesterday I did a lot. My energy was fairly low the first part of the day but I supervised my son as he brought out my boxes of fall decorations. I changed out the porch from summer hydrangeas to fall flowers in my porch basket and hung up a couple of fall signs. That was it for me, I will slowly do more this week. Rested for most of the afternoon. Since I'm the mother and always trying to make other's lives easier, (trying to give my family a break on walking the dog) I contacted my neighbor and we met at the field up the street with our doggies for a romp. I drove up so I could bring a few dog toys and a chair. I did spend quite a bit of time on my feet walking around (which I need to do) but had the chair to sit in when I felt tired. I was there for 45 min, it was great for Daisy to get to romp, a couple of other dogs came in too and they played.

Dinner last night was meatloaf and mashed potatoes from Costco plus green beans. One of the things that constantly plagues me is dinner. I just don't have the energy to stand there are prepare an elaborate meal so we are still doing quick stuff from Costco or stuff that I froze back in Aug or takeout. I am doing pretty much all of my own care now, hubby has even slacked on getting my ice machine ready (he's already asleep when I go to bed or I just get it prepped earlier in the evening). I'm doing laundry and dishes but also have help from my kids here and there. (daughter is the best help, she just steps in and does things but son will do anything if asked) Hubby was very busy raking leaves yesterday, checking gutters, removing summer stuff from the patio and he put together my recumbent bike (I think, I haven't been upstairs to check).

By late evening my UTI felt worse, not better. Felt like my bladder was full all the time and so I was trying to pee constantly. This morning is better, thank goodness! I have more energy so I think the antibiotics are working. My daughter bought a bottle of unsweetened cranberry juice Friday night and boy is that stuff tart!! But it really seems to make me feel better after I drink it so I'm shotgunning an 8 oz glass every day. The doctor recommended drinking cranberry juice.

I wanted to say that during the day when walking around the house, I barely think about my knee at all. It doesn't hurt and I'm able to get around and do things just fine. Trying to pace myself so I don't over-do it. Last night I slept without the ice machine again and after the initial trouble actually falling asleep (my PT said the UTI is disturbing my sleep, making me jerky and feel like I'm crawling out of my skin feeling) I slept pretty well most of the night, only getting up once for Advil and to pee. I took a couple of Tylenol PMs, which I think helped.

Has anyone tried those combination Tylenol/Advil pills? My doc gave me a sample, she said when taken together they actually work better for pain. I could take pills every 6 hours rather than alternating every 3. I will need to go and get some. Sorry for the novel......
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom