Hip Infection Surviving THR Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
@KarriB
I too have a hike to the gym! My classroom is farthest point from anywhere in the building except the parking lot which has its advantages too! Go get those Clarks wedges girlfriend! You can always wear them to a meeting and change into your "sensible" shoes for the down and dirty teaching part of the day~ I think I will try that! :yes!:
 
@Sullivand @KarriB @Legin so nice to wake up and read posts from everyone cheering each other on in the journey. I think you all have inspired me to check on some new shoes this weekend. Some folks crave Louboutins we are going for Clarks or danskos! Seems unfair.....lolol. @Sullivand I'm trying the Tylenol as of last night, will report back.
 
@donor
Go girl! New Shoes make a gal so happy! I hope the Tylenol works~ I use the Extra Strength and take 1000 mg each dose~ don't pass 4000 in a day~ not good in the liver! But don't be a hero either~take care~ anxious to hear how it goes! :prayer:
 
@Sullivand will report back. Also have been hunting for a new purse. Maybe I will score this weekend.:ok: Also hope the bowel situation will improve off the tramadol. Boo.
 
@donor ~ it will! Tramadol was the last stop in stoppage!
A new purse too~ lovely! I need a new bathing suit bottom with a skirt attached to cover the 2 :scare:scars I have! The problem~ would people stare at me with a cane AND the dressing stick? :what: So I procrastinate ~
 
@Sullivand Have someone else carry the dressing stick! I'm super close to the parking lot, too! When I went back to work last year I had to talk to our superintendent because the handicap parking spaces were FAR away from the ramps and I was returning during the Polar Vortex which meant maneuvering through ice and snow. The Super asked where I'd like a parking space. So the custodian put a handicap sign on the parking space directly across from the ramp, which also happens to be directly across from my classroom. I bought a new car last week that has a remote starter, so now I can turn the car on (heated seats and steering wheel) from my desk in the dead of winter! It'll me snugly warm when I'm ready to leave! I may never retire!

@donor any day is a good day for a new purse! Go for it!
 
@Sullivand if you can manage shopping with a cane do it! I proudly navigated many tj maxx stores on crutches and many trader Joe's as well and didn't think twice about being looked at. I had been thru the war at that point and was happy to sport my sticks. If anyone said a word, and they did, I'd tell them what happened. Short convo after that. Go out and shop if it is doable and makes you happy. :)
 
@KarriB
I haven't asked for any extras and haven't felt comfortable asking until I get back in the classroom and my contract signed~ since I didn't go down gradually ~ I was full throttle no limping at our Christmas break to on my death bed and haven't returned yet. I think my cane will shock everyone and then I will begin my honey routine and ask sweetly for a parking spot and comfy teacher chair. As I am answering you~ I may call my teacher association and find out my " rights" in the work place so that I can ask for stuff with confidence! I have a wonderful relationship w the staff and admin and am in the leadership team ~ they have held my spot and have kept me on the roster so I feel all is well. It still is another worry though until it is all in writing.
 
I would call your association too. I was using sick days, my sub was a brand new out of college 21 year old and a difficult class. I was concerned about asking to return part time, but they were VERY anxious to have me back in any capacity, plus I taught both of the superintendent's daughters. When I came in with my dr.'s note, they literally asked, "what do you need to return?"
 
@Sullivand just had a catch up on your thread. You and I are about same time out from out hip ops, except you had a bad time before you finally got your new hip. I had lateral too, and I think we are both at about the same stage of recovery, so in effect you are way ahead of me, and have done amazingly.
I work in a school, although I'm admin not teaching, I have to go back in two weeks time unless doctor declares me still unfit, which I don't think I am. I'm going to ask to go back on a phased return, I can't quite imagine getting up in time to be at work for 8am. Fortunately I only have to do two weeks and then its our 6 week summer holiday, so I'll be off then until September 2nd.
You mention taking a cane, I fully intend to take mine, then I can wave it at the kids if they get in the way. I bought a nice snakeskin patterned one that folds up so I can slip it in my handbag when I don't need to use it.
The one thing I will ensure is that my chair at my desk has arms, for some reason I am still unable to push up from a chair without arms. Its the same problem with the toilet, I ditched the raised seat a while back, but still have the frame to help me get up. I'll have to investigate our disabled toilets and see if they have a hand rail I can use to get up.
 
Thank you @Liznwiz for sharing your story~ I like that you have a short 2 week stint then a 6 week rest. I will be in with both feet and running~ haha but with the cane. I think I will investigate the lizard cane~ that appeals to my vanity. I just returned from a slow w cane 1/2 mile walk. It felt good. We'll see in about an hour if I still feel good!
 
Today marks my 8 week post op day. I am no longer taking Tramadol and use from 2000 to 3000 mg of Tylenol. I am feeling more mobility but still feel stiffness shifting from sitting to standing. Today I increased my walking to 1 mile. This is slow speed with the cane and without the cane every few feet. I am concentrating on no limping so the cane is still needed. I am driving and running short errands. I have lost the deep fatigue and have been sitting more than lying down. I can make meals but am tired and need help with the cleaning up~ I think that will be forever! Haha I still have pain in the lateral scar where it curves where I lean/sit on it. The anterior scar is tight and itchy but Vitamin E oil helps. My glut muscles burn after a walk or long standing. I still have difficulty falling asleep and catch up by sleeping in the morning. I still move very slowly and that makes me feel OLD even though I know this is not age but surgery! I also follow the 90 degree rule and it isn't hard because I get stuck past that anyways! Today is a good day. I must admit to grieving for the old me~ climbing ladders, painting rooms, hanging curtains and gardening. I am praying to get back some of that independence and carefree joy that I took for granted. I keep praying and am anxious to feel even better for the start of school~ with it without the cane! :flwrysmile:
 
Its the small victories that make us happy @Sullivand
Like you I took my second 1 mile walk yesterday. The first one I did was about a week ago and I got half way round and wish I hadn't gone so far. Yesterday was a lovely walk along the prom by the beach. It was flat and I took it very slow using my cane, but limping towards the end.
Today I had my return to work meeting, if I go back in two weeks as planned it will be just for one or two hours a day for two weeks before the 6 week summer holiday. I shall be definately be taking my cane.
My scar itches sometimes but its not tight, lucky for me its down the side of my hip not anywhere near where I might sit on it. I also stopped worrying about the 90 degrees a couple of weeks ago, but only then because my surgeon said I could. Driving can be painful if I have to brake a lot, such as driving round town, but driving on motorways is no problem.(remember I have to drive on the opposite side to you, and I have a manual car)

All these things will get easier with time, and we will be forgetting the struggles we did have I guess.
 
@Sullivand such a great report! You tell everyone to give it time so we will tell you the same. You will be on that ladder soon enough.:cheers2: enjoy the rest of your day.
 
I think you are more tired than a regular THR due to the infection. Your body had to heal the surgery and the infection. Double work! I went back 12 weeks from the original TKR and 8 weeks fro the infection surgery. Have you talked to the school or association yet about your return!
 
@Liznwiz
How lovely to "walk the promenade along the beach". It sounds like a heavenly vacation but yet it's your home. I did rest at the half on a bench and watched lovely bluebirds nesting. I would be in big trouble driving on the left and not just because of the surgery. I do think that I will try to remember some of the struggles only if it means to help others to heal and not be surprised at how much it does take out of you. I was a bit shocked at this recovery! Good luck on your return to work~ Glad you are able to ease your way back in~ keep us posted!:loveshwr:

@donor Thank you for your kind words~ I hope your back is better this afternoon. I'll think of you as you return to work tomorrow.:good-bad:

@KarriB Thank you for reminding me this has been a tougher road than most. Well no one will talk to me until my OS fills out a Return to Duty form. He filled one out at my last appt but I had too many restrictions to be considered back to work status. I see him on July 10 and will have to really get him to understand that he needs to just sign off on the form and let me get back. I think it was just too early last appointment. So I wait~:bored:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom