Hip Infection Surviving THR Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are so sweet @KarriB. I am relieved too but am still taking my temperature~ doctors orders. I am sorry you have that heavy humidity~ that's ATL most summer days!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So I am in the middle of week 6 and feeling really good and HOPEFUL! It has been a very long road! I drove to get a haircut today and plan to meet friends for dinner. I have taken a rest with ice as I started to feel tired~ not the deep fatigue I had in weeks 1-5. No fevers and have cut Tramadol to 1/2 pills 4x a day. I have done laundry and some ironing. Last night I slept a healthy sleep and woke up at a decent time ready for the day. I am still using the cane but will let my body tell me when it's time to let go. I want to get to the pool and might do that with my daughters on Saturday. I am getting my life back and for that I am humbly and deeply grateful.
I hope and pray for all of you to get to this point (and beyond) too. God Bless you all.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Do THRs have the same issues with sleep that TKRs have?
 
@KarriB
I don't know about all THR's but I can tell you that I don't fall asleep as easily as I did before all of my issues. It's like I need 2-3 hours to get comfortable and finally fall asleep and then I usually wake up a couple of times in the night. Then I sleep through the morning to catch up. I haven't worried too much about it since I am fully devoting life to recovering. I am thinking as my routine becomes full and I am more active my circada rhythms (I think that's spelled right?!) will adjust. I read and pray as I doze in and out. Now if it continues when I go back to school then it will be a whole other story! How is it with you?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I sleep pretty good now, but in the throws of the TKR recovery a lot of laying wide awake. I actually would wait as long as I could to go to bed and began despise my regularly enticing bed.
I normally have difficulty sleeping in the summer especially if I'm not swimming laps. The weather has been stormy during my lap times so I haven't been able to swim for a week, but I have been riding my recumbent bike, so sleep has been good right now. It's amazing what I have to do in a day to duplicate the energy used to teach first grade!
I agree, praying is one of my best ways to fall asleep.
 
Ughh that hut before I was done. Because of my thr and additinal surgeries & infecton, I was left with a very deep , dont even know what to call it as it's way beyond a scar, let's call it a deep dent in my left hip area, with over a year later, terrible nerve damage and tenderness, I cannot sleep on my side. I have had to adjust to sleeping on my back, and partly propped on pillows sitting up. It took me a long time to get used to this. Now I take 2 advil pm and a xanax every night and sleep pretty well. I don't know if the tissue around my wound will ever recover. Life after , is a life adjustment for sure. Im sure age is a factor too. How old are you @Sullivand ? I will be 65 in 6 weeks. Keep feeling good, seems you are on the road to better! :-)
 
@dianehelen
I'm a young 57. :) I am sorry about your dent. :( I have a little on the top of my lateral scar and it does give me pain~ is yours healed? If so, I run vitamin E oil on it and helps. My anterior scar is flat and it bothers me at the bend when I sit down. (Yes~ two surgeries in 5 months) Fortunately I sleep on the opposite side of my THR but if I didn't, I know my getting to sleep would be tougher! You poor girl~ I'm sorry.

@KarriB I know what you mean about the energy thing teaching! For some reason though~ summer brings a more restful sleep! I have a tendency to bring my students in my dreams and thoughts! Always thinking of ways to help the struggling learners and challenge the smarties and then of course making sure the middle learner is well read too! Whew I need a nap thinking about it! :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Week 7 post op! I was hoping to have milestone news but instead I feel exhausted and am in bed. I have done a lot ~Father's Day dinner, " swimming pool walking " twice, grocery store by myself and a dentist appointment. This was spread out over 3 days and rest and ice in between. I am wondering if this is a side effect to the MEGA antibiotic dose I took today before going to the dentist? 2000 mg and I am 125lbs 5'2"! I will call the doctor tomorrow and see if that's it~ we need to make a note if it is! I also took probiotics. I am saying prayers to help me get the stamina back I had this weekend! Ugh! ;( good night dear hippies,
 
@Sullivand rest and sleep well. I think these docs don't always take our size into the mix when giving us drugs. I'm like you but taller and I feel everything. Hope tomorrow is much better for you.
 
I have been so busy checking on everyone else's post that I need to update my own progress.
I rested earlier this week and survived the mega antibiotic dose~ all of you who may be constipated~ I have the answer! Ugh.
So I am off the Tramadol 24 hours and taking Tylenol for aches and pains. I think I was so worried about staying ahead of the pain that I wasn't listening to my body very well. I like being off the meds and feeling exactly what is going on in my hip. It is a 2-3 pain and Tylenol works.
I walked today and didn't use the cane for part of the time but I have to very purposefully and like a model on a runway step without the cane. It's exhausting but I am staying optimistic that it will happen soon. I don't want to limp and I don't with the cane.
I continue to monitor my temperature as the ID asked me to do. I still get run down feeling and it concerns me that I am getting sick~ I think it may just be post op recovery~ I had hoped it would be gone by week 7 but many of you mention it late in your recovery as well. That is comforting to know. Hang in there hippies~ we are a very special group and I am honored to be in your company!
 
@Sullivand Hi, you've been kind enough to chip in on one or two of my recovery posts, so I thought I'd just catch up with you on your thread. As it happens you've mentioned a couple of things that really struck a chord with me. I too have kicked the Tramadol, just last week, and agree with your sentiment about listening to your body. I couldn't have done it in the early stages but now yes, just feel a little pain so you know where you are - absolutely! Nausea too, most days I seem to find myself in an off-colour patch, so it's good to know ( in the nicest possible way ! ) that your recovery features this too. As you say, hang in there, the horizon is getting closer.
 
Glad to hear the Tramadol is done and that you're not feeling any effects from it. Little steps to normalcy!
 
@KarriB , @donor ,@Hooray
Thank you for your support! Yes baby steps to normalcy. I want more and faster steps and it is a struggle to let it go at its own pace! I have 5 weeks before school starts and I worry I still need the cane. Oh yea I've got to let it go! On a happy note I took advice from the forum to buy new shoes~ I was walking in my very good athletic shoes from preop days and started feeling back pain that many hippies complain about~ so I bought a new pair with new inserts fitted by a well versed shoe person who watched me walk and in many different brands. I took a walk in them today and no lower back pain! Woo Hoo! Now if only my hip would stop hurting.... ;)
 
Just 5 weeks! Wow! We go back, August 27th, kids August 31st. You can go back with your cane. I always have one in my car and would take it into school, but I was always forgetting where I left it because I didn't need it in the classroom. The kids were always looking for my cane, like Where's Waldo!

I need to do some shoe shopping, but I just keep wearing sneakers.
 
@MaggieHip
You were so kind to ask how I am doing so I have tagged you on my thread. I am probably on the slow average end of recovery. Some are faster and back to work and others are straggling behind. I have stopped my pain meds as of 3 days ago except for Tylenol. I am still using a cane and it is my next milestone to work on. My goal is to return to teaching this August in about 6 weeks.

I am not sure what the cause of your hip replacement was but mine was quite unusual as I had a healthy hip that was attacked by strep. So I had 2 hip surgeries and that may be why I am on a slower recovery pace. Hip surgery 1 was anterior approach to remove the infected bone and put in an antibiotic spacer and I took IV antibiotics and was very very sick. 12 weeks later I had lateral approach and the permanent hip was implanted that was 7 weeks ago. I have found so many blessings in this crazy journey. Family, friends and faith are my cornerstone.
So ~my recovery is dealing w 2 wounds and issues of 2surgeries. Therein lies my cray cray! :) We hippies are warriors!
 
@KarriB
Well I think it's 6 weeks but I need to go a week early to see what the sub left for me! Ahhhh!
I start August 4. We start very early here and are out by Memorial Day. My new shoes are technically sneakers but fitted to my needs. :)
Thank you for making me feel better about the cane. I have heard they have foldable ones that might be easier but you are right~ that might have to be a classroom job~ keeping track of the teachers cane! I love it haha! :)
 
Wow @Sullivand it suddenly hit me younappear here and there supporting all and yet in thought i didn't know about you and your journey, my sincerest apologies. You have been thru a heck of a lot and keep v positive you are a star.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Sullivand the other day I was in Macy's shoe section, gazing longingly at some Clarks wedges I'd love to wear. They're high, but wedges, so I just might buy them and try walking around the house. It's not like I want to wear Jimmy Choos, they're Clarks!
In the classroom the kids were usually lined up to go to specials. A walk to the gym is equal to half of a mall (in my eyes), so we're ready to go and I realize I'll be fine on the way to gym, but maybe not so good on the way back. So I ask if anyone has seen my cane, the hunt begins...they kids loved it! Don't worry about the cane...
 
@Legin
Thank you for your kind thoughts~ I am quite the record setter and wish that was not my claim to fame! No need to apologize! We are each our own unique story~ I have felt the same about you reading your posts here and there supporting others on your journey that is also a record setter too. Your support and kind words and wonderful humor are priceless. Thank you.
Your new phase in your own journey has reminded me of a childhood story~ I am one of 5 siblings and my father is a psychologist~ one evening he had us all lay on the carpet in the living room while he played tapes of the ocean and bird song and he told us it was something called subliminal messages~ the messages were whispered~ I am calm, I am smart, I am well etc...... A good way to get 5 kids settled down and successful in life! Hahaha! You might like that! I have wellness, I love my foot...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom