Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection Surviving THR Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know! I got scared! But in the meantime I am reading about Tramadol withdraw and it describes my symptoms. Even the sadness that I have been feeling. I've got to get off this stuff! I hope my doctor will have a good system to wean off. Sigh! I can do it~with prayer sister!
 
Here's a schedule to wean yourself off pain meds. No need to wait until you see your doctor to start it. It's done slowly and should work IF (and this is a big "if") you are really at a point where you don't need the pain control.

If you find that you still are having pain when you start the weaning process, you'll need to either restart the pain meds and take them a while longer or try Tylenol (acetaminophen) 1000mg per day, up to 4000mg in 24 hours. Just be sure if you switch to Tylenol that you count the acetaminophen that may be in any other meds you take (cold or sinus medications primarily) in that 4000mg total.

Weaning off prescription pain medications
 
Thank you @Jamie! So I started on 1 pill every 4 hours then I went to 1 pill every 6 hours and now I am taking 1 pill every 8 hours and started going every 10 hours and that's when I started the flu like symptoms. I think I need a couple more days of 1 every 8 hours. Then I think I can start the 1/2 pills every 8 hours ~ but I will double check w my GP. Thank you again for your help!
 
@Sullivand
For some reason I'm not getting many of my alerts to watched threads (yours being one of them). I'm so sorry that you are going through this difficult time! I have just prayed for you and will continue to do so many times a day. During difficult times in my life, but have closed my eyes and I vusualize myself cradled in His loving arms He's always gigantic and I look like a newborn in His arms). I find this so comforting and thought I would pass it on to you. God bless and stay strong in Him...He is always with you.
 
Thank you @Cynthia777 I love that visual and it is such a lovely one. Thank you so much for your prayers~ so sweet of you! I am hanging in there~ I am relieved to have gotten answers from our dear moderators. I will call my GP for final word of getting off the meds tomorrow ~I have been using Tylenol for the hour in between that my body wants more Tramadol and it isn't time yet. I am keeping the faith! It has set me back so that I can't tell if my hip still needs the meds or is it my brain needs them! I am much more flexible and feel stronger so I will try to do more today. :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
This morning it was 100.3 so I took Tylenol. It seems the Tramadol dose doesn't make it to every 8 hours ~ it's about an hour too long and that's when I get the fever and achiness all over. I don't want to increase the Tramadol because I think this drama will continue so I take the Tylenol to help me hold off until the next Tramadol dose. I will be glad to talk to the doctor tomorrow. In the meantime my hip feels really good because I am resting so nicely!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @Cynthia777. Keep you posted! How are you doing?! Are you continuing to heal?

Thanks @donor! I know I check often too~ it helps me from worrying and realizing that we all heal at our own pace! Good luck!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My hip is still a bit painful...comes and goes, but it's better than the previous three or four months. From the research I've done online, I'm pretty sure it's only going to heal with His help! I'm going to focus on Mark 10:27,
"With man it is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God." Makes me think of Hebrews 4:12 and makes me laugh (the bone and marrow part)!
So, if He is for me, who could be against me? :angel:
 
@Sullivand are you seeing your OS or ID? When I had to go off antibiotics because my body quit making white cells (I know I was a mess) my ID told me I had to get to the nearest ER immediatly. So of course I was taking my temp all the time. My ID wasn't worried about a temp when I went back on the antibiotics, so I'm sure your ok.
In church today we studied Luke 12- 24
Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them.And how much more valuable you are than birds!25 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life?

I have to work on this one!
 
Just stopping by and your story caught my eye. I had my left THR on March 5, 2014 and developed an infection that required 2 additional surgeries and 7 months on a wound vac with torturous dressing changes. I see hopefully you are on the mend and wont have to go thru what I did. You sound in good health and spirits. I wish you the best in your continued recovery. Infections are nasty nasty nasty..


Here is the link to my saga

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/2-weeks-post-op-and-miserable.23799/
 
Thank you for your well wishes @dianehelen. You have been through the ringer! You are right infection is not good. I hope you are doing well now. I am moving forward by baby steps and I have to pray for patience!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@KarriB I don't have an appointment tomorrow but plan to call my GP and ask her advice on weaning the Tramadol and also if she is concerned w the low grade fevers. If so then I will call my ID and see if he wants blood work. My symptoms continue to act like withdrawal from Tramadol and I felt better as the day went on because I timed the meds right at 8 hours. I will know more tomorrow~ my GP is wonderful and has been my sounding board and organizer of all my doctors since a year ago February. When I saw her 2 weeks post op From 1st surgery thought she was going to cry for me and she said she keeps thinking about what could we have done differently? That is when we looked way back and the only option would have been a biopsy and I know i wouldn't have agreed to it because I would get better for a while. So now we look forward and hopefully it is a lesson learned.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm still holding you up in prayer. Do you still have enough pain to use tramadol or will you be ok weaning off? Curious to hear what your doc says.
 
@KarriB I think that is the million dollar question! I feel like the hip pain has really started to subside and that was why I started using less and less Tramadol. It's a hard call because I was aching all over and my hip was pretty much equal to the pain in the rest of my body when I skipped the dose~ it wasn't the focus of pain as it has been. I think Tylenol could work. I called the doctor about 2 hours ago~ waiting for a call back. Thank you SO much for your prayers.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom