Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection Surviving THR Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Josephine
Hello~ sorry you had to edit! I was too "wordy". The dates are correct. I never had a hip the first go around on Jan 28 because of the infection in my hip bone. The spacer was put in on Jan 28 and the permanent hip went in on May 4. The surgeon called it a " revision" for lack of a better term because of needing to take out the spacer. Does that make sense?
 
I had good news today! All of my lab work shows that I am in the normal range and my infectious disease doctor says all signs indicate that the infection has not returned. I will go back again in six months to run labs again to be sure I am still infection free. I learned that strep usually travels to the heart or brain if it enters your blood stream but for some weird reason~ it attacked my hip~ I never thought I would say this but I am indeed blessed it got "only" my hip! Now it's time to focus on walking! Woo hoo!!
 
@Legin
Hello~ I just started following your thread ~I hope you won't mind if I ask a question? After an infected bone removal and antibiotic spacer implanted in January, followed by THR 4 weeks ago~ I have had numbness in my thigh since January but over the last couple of days it seems the numb areas are shrinking but I do feel a type of zapping. What is it? Is it nerves? It sometimes makes me catch my breath. Thanks!
 
@Sullivand ... you'll notice that I've moved your post to your recovery thread as it is more appropriate for you to ask questions about your recovery here rather than in someone else's recovery thread.

I have had numbness in my thigh since January but over the last couple of days it seems the numb areas are shrinking but I do feel a type of zapping. What is it? Is it nerves? It sometimes makes me catch my breath.
The numbness in your thigh is normal after surgery and many times it will lessen or go away completely with time. I'm assuming from your description that the "zapping" you feel, while very intense, is temporary and doesn't last very long. That type of "zapping" is not the same type of pain Legin has with #CRPS. What you are experiencing is the nerves reconnecting. Nerves grow and repair slowly and it can take some time. And in the process you often get this little zap to let you know they're healing.
 
@Jamie
Thank you for monitoring my comments~ I just started looking for threads that I thought pertained to me! Your explanation is very helpful and it sounds positive towards healing. I feel blessed.
 
By all means search away for other members' threads to learn more about this recovery process! And, of course, posting comments that compare your experience to theirs is great. It's kind of a fine line, but if you're posting questions or concerns in another member's thread it can tend to take the discussion away from their recovery. But even more critical is that your concerns can get missed by our staff when they're not part of your own recovery information. We want to have the opportunity to address any questions you have as quickly as possible. It's also okay to tag one or two of our staff members with specific questions. That gets our attention faster.
 
@Jamie
Yes, I now understand the etiquette of this wonderful forum. I apologize for asking questions in someone else's thread. I appreciate your patience! I am hoping to keep zapping away as these nerves heal! I appreciate your support.
 
No apology necessary!!! You're doing just fine....both in recovery and on the forum!
 
That is wonderful news @Sullivand - I am thrilled for you. Now on with the real recovery :) - just dropping in to give you the following information.

The first is a link to an article which provides the science regarding the healing process beneath and around the implant and the approximate timeframes for our bodies healing phases and processes.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know

Feel free to tag me if you have any questions regarding nutrition.

However, I would appreciate if you (or any other member) do not request advice regards supplements as I would be breaking the Common Law Act (under which I am governed) to prescribe outside of my practice, especially via the Internet.
 
@Poppet
Thank you for the information! My infectious disease doctor took extensive lab work throughout my journey and stressed nutrition ~ after I got good at eating well I was amazed at how great my labs looked! I am a believer! He feels strongly that we eat well and not take supplements. During my illness I lost 25 lbs~ way too much pain to eat. I have since gained 10 back and feel really great. It amazes me how many calories we need to heal!
I wash and cut fruits and veggies and keep them in containers so it's easy to reach for the good stuff!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Today marks 30 days from my last surgery and out of the blue~ I felt like my old self before I became sick with infection! I feel such joy and optimism that I keep crying! I was even up to going out to lunch with my husband! I took two walks in my neighborhood and walked a few steps without a cane. Woo hoo!
I still have a ways to go but the bone tiring fatigue and the pain has seemed to lighten up!
I think tomorrow I might plan a trip to the spa for a mani / pedi~ of course I will provide my own tools as not to be vulnerable to another infection! I will live freely but with caution! :) haha! Those of you waiting to get to the other side~ hang in there! It is glorious!
 
What a great report!!! I'm so happy for you. Here's hoping this is just the first of many great days coming your way soon.
 
Well done @Sullivand - I am so pleased to read that you are not feeling as tired. Enjoy your spa manicure and pedicure. Also, I am thrilled that your surgeon confirms the importance of eating well as part of your recovery. :)
 
I'm so happy @Sullivand that your "half glass full" attitude has been rewarded with you feeling like your old self... if only a little :heehee: It's great that you're planning the rest of your life and it's full of sunshine :SUNsmile: don't go overdoing it in your excitement - or just go for it and plan a rest day between events to make sure you can enjoy each one :)

Donna :friends:
 
@Sullivand
I just reread your thread and I must say its one of such positivity! No moans and groans from you! I'm pretty certain you know you had someone holding you in His arms as you traveled this harrowing road! God bless and keep on trusting... Blessings my friend!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom