Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection Surviving THR Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sitting in the sun with a refreshing drink is exactly why I want to wait till next April/May for my other knee. My infection and recovery happened during 2014-2014's Polar Vortex! On top of having no energy and no white count, there was so much ice I was afraid of falling. Talk about cabin fever! So April/May (if my knee is acting up) would be perfect timing. I would still get a month or so of summer fun and could sit outside on my porch or patio. What grade do you teach?
Enjoy the afternoon!
 
@KarriB
My first surgery was January and you are right~ it was cold and dreary. I imagine more so your neck of the woods!
Yes, May surgery seems to be a good time. I wanted April but the timing was in my OS and ID hands~ I am hoping it's enough recovery time!
I teach fourth grade and love it. We recently departmentalized and now I am Reading/Language Arts~ my passion and specialty! Fortunately I have been very healthy and had tons of sick leave days. I was able to be gone a full semester and didn't need to get into disability. Blessings.
What do you teach?
 
I just finished my 33 year of first grade. Teaching children to read is my passion, but retirement is creeping up. Never thought I'd be old enough to use that word! I started 2013 with 180 sick days and used about 60. When the OS was talking antibiotic spacer I thought I may just have to retire instead of starting a school year with 20-30 sick days. I thought by having the TKR at the end of October I'd be missing Nov.- Dec., busy months with many days off. But then I had to take all of January due to the infection/surgery.
Tuesday I'm meeting students who read 100 books at B&N, the deal was if they read 100 books I'd shop with them and purchase each a book.
 
@KarriB
Wow what a wonderful teacher you must be! B&N should give you those books! How exciting for your little students. I am glad for you that you have been able to hang on longer in your classroom. I originally thought 6 weeks ~then when the infection was found that added 8 weeks and then the surgeon said another 12 weeks which put me to August! I was so sad to leave my students and I remembered thinking I would keep up w plans and checking papers~ well that was over ambitious! I was in so much pain I did nothing but take pain meds and lie on the couch or my bed! I truly don't remember many days during that waiting time.
So what sorts of modifications in your classroom have you done to help you? I know knee and hip are different but did you get a certain chair? I have been thinking about things I might not be able to do yet and frankly it gets me all worried! Then I tell myself~ a day at a time! I have 7 more weeks to heal. I am still in bed this am enjoying no pain and oj my hubby brought to me. Mornings are nice for me when I wake up ~ it's later in the day after I get moving around that gets tough!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Sullivand thank you for your kind words, I do love teaching and challenging my students! My school has a 25 book standard, but I challenge kids to continue. Why in the world would you stop reading after 25 books? Isn't the goal to make life long readers out of our students? At our end of year party I had kids reading during down times!

I really didn't make any adaptations in my classroom. My biggest issue still is that I'm uncomfortable getting up out of a chair, but I don't see anyway to get around that, partly because of my bad left leg. I have several chairs in my classroom and when my knees started bothering me years ago I brought a higher stool in so I could sit on it while working at the Smart Board. My students are often on the floor, so I will sit in a chair near the white board or while teaching reading lessons. I went back to 1/2 days (mornings) which meant I just had to get around the classroom. My sub was taking the kids to specials in the afternoon which required some walking. But when I went back full time after 6 weeks I just walked them to specials. In the fall before my TKR, a teacher or aid had to walk the class to specials. It was too painful for me. My school did put a handicap parking space right outside my classroom because all the handicap spaces were sooooo far from a ramp and even the curbs are very high to step up on, plus I came back during the Polar Vortex. The parking lot was covered in ice and snow. My classroom is the first room at the teacher entryway. So really not far to walk at all.

I tried to keep up with lesson plans, but my mind was so foggy, plus you can't really make plans without knowing how students are learning. I did have to keep control of the on line grade book as I only had a day to train my sub. I, too, had a rough time waiting for the infection to heal. I was trusting in the Lord, but was so emotional. I'd break into tears just talking about it and often cried when I was alone or praying. It was rough road, but totally worth it now. So there was no way I could keep up with school work. I did manage to go in for parent/teacher conferences before the infection reared its ugly head.

You have to take it one day at a time or one week. Every week try to walk a little bit more to build your stamina or add another activity. I didn't go to the grocery store for 7 months. My sister took over that chore for me even before my surgeries. So just trying to do little things (in a month or so) will help you build your stamina. I always tell people if I can get through this, anyone can. I had never even been a patient in the hospital, let alone have 2 surgeries in a months time.
 
@KarriB
Your story is inspiring! Thank you for sharing it! I will figure out chairs in my classroom by summers end. My infection hit the day after our Christmas/winter break started so that I haven't had the teaching w pain~ you are a saint. I did have the fatigue but didn't know what it was until the pain came in December!
I tried going with no meds yesterday~ what a crazy idea! I couldn't believe how I felt~ like I had been hit by a truck! I felt sore everywhere~ even my teeth~ probably from gritting them! Ugh! So I am back on and feeling quite good~ I had spaced the doses quite far apart and thought I might be ready~ not yet!
How nice your sister shops for you. My husband does that too. I did go on Sunday w him and rode in one of those silly scooters the old people drive~ I am not old! I am not old!
Your advice is priceless! Thank you!
Debby
 
Oh and yes! I am walking! Atlanta is very hilly so my walks are very challenging around here! I walk mini walks as the effort is quite intense. I was 2x a day last week and will try 3x a day this week. Even when I was healthy my walks were challenging~ I walked 4 hilly miles 4 days a week. I want that again! Right now I can't listen to my tunes because it makes me sad and miss my good health~ I know I will get there again and will pump up those tunes w joy. I pray...
 
Unfortunately my vanity kept me from using the motorized cart. I know my sister was relieved when I told her she could stop going to the grocery for me!
Happy to hear you're back on your pain meds regularly. You'll know when you are ready and just don't need them as often. You'll get there. In a month you'll look back at your thread and remember where you were.
 
@KarriB
Haha! The scooter vs vanity! I just dressed really cute and rode the scooter like it was a parade float! Haha! Just kidding~ I am the type of person who never gets bored but I was there! Scooter vs Boredom?
So today I am going out to lunch w a friend who doesn't mind that I am slow and on a cane! I have noticed that the numbness is beginning to go and the nerves are healing and still zapping!
Yes~ still on pain meds.
How was B&N yesterday? Was it good to see your students? So special!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Surviving THR Revision
You should've done the wave while riding the scooter! B&N was craaaazy! Tons of kids because most everyone brought a sibling, then we walked to a restaurant and gad dinner. Almost 30 adults and kids! Two boys are missing from the photo.
 
Hello all~ I am in the middle of week 5 and feel less fatigued. I have more feeling in the numb areas especially on the back of my thigh and on the outside of my hip which was my swollen third butt cheek :) ~it has felt like I was sitting on a sand bag and now it is burning and stinging and letting me know that it hurts! I should have kept up better w my meds but this is an unexpected change~ I'm glad though that the numbness is going away so soon in my healing. I still swell from my hip down to my ankle but when I prop my leg up it goes down. So I keep on keeping on!
Tomorrow I am going to a movie where the theater has those big reclining chairs. I think that should be fun and manageable! One event a day to keep my happy on!
 
Yes! @KarriB so true! I have only managed two walks a day and I was going to try 3 a day this week but it's gotten too hot here so morning and evening are the best times. Plus~ I can tell 3 a day is too much. I am having a bit of a sad spell~ I just didn't have time to process the surgery since it was decided in 3 days and I had one of those days where I looked back on last summer traveling and being carefree! I had to tell my sister I can't make it to my nieces wedding and I won't make my family reunion either. I can tell I would regret the flight and late nights and it would set back my healing. I know I'll
be carefree again but just in a different way~ most days I am optimistic just a little set back ~ What a roller coaster ride! Plus I need to get back to the praying~ I am trying to do this all by myself and I need to let God!
 
I know the sadness you are talking about. I felt as though the world was moving on without me. My good friends and family were very attentive, but I felt like I was sitting my life away. Due to my infection and subsequent second surgery I missed Thanksgiving, a wedding shower and a wedding. Thanksgiving was in the hosptial because I had emergency surgery Thanksgiving Eve late and the shower/wedding were a few hours away, so I just didn't think I could do the car trip. I was so overjoyed that I could begin PT! The therapists and other patients became a little circle of friends.
I thank the Lord everyday for healing me. I have never prayed as much as I did the month between the infection surgery and when the infection really was healed. I couldn't read or watch TV, I tried, but ended up praying and using Ephesians 3:20.
Not many people know this, but when I went in for the original TKR the nurses took me back to start pre-op process. They'd come into the room, give directions and leave again. Every time the nurse left I'd start singing Great is Thy Faithfulness, I was singing my prayer. The nurse became so worried about me, she brought my sister back to pre-op to sit with me. I told her I was fine alone, just praying, but I think they thought I was crazy! Infection surgery, was different, my whole family was in pre-op talking with the OS who was new to me and a revision specialist.
I'm sharing this with you because He is the only way I got through my experience, I couldn't get through it myself or with help from friends/family. He's in control and knows why everything is happening. He used the experience to teach me that through Him I can do anything, but by myself I'm powerless. I'll be praying for you.
 
Dearest @KarriB
Your post was so comforting and I just needed to take in your story before I could answer you. I let the tears flow and that in itself can be healing. Thank you for that!
My best friend is a first grade teacher and I just smiled at your story about singing your prayer~ she would have done that too. It touches me that you shared your personal story and I know that I will "pass it forward" and share my story one day like you have done.
The movie schedule changed so I am going to try to go again next week~ we drove around looking for flat areas to walk and that was very nice to accomplish~ a new start w the walking.
I also contacted my church spiritual director and she is sending me prayers and verses to pray. I am a little lost with the conflicting emotions!
Thank you for your prayers ~ I do feel them. This has been such a wonderful place to reach out. I would have thought I was all alone in my feelings and it is comforting to know it as all a normal part of our healing journey!
Thank you again.
Debby




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Josephine
I woke up today feeling achy all over and thought I had gone too long over night w out Tramadol. So I took it and still feel achy~ arms, both legs, knees. I have lied around and slept all day and took mini walks on the house~ I have dizziness and headache~ could it be Tramadol side effect? I felt so discouraged thinking it was a back step to recovery ~ I decided to take mytemperature and its 99.8. I will take acetaminophen and see if that helps. I will call my ID doctor on Monday. What should I look for that could make this an emergency? Thank you for your help.
 
Sullivand, be aware that weaning off of tramadol needs to be a very gradual process. Many of us have taken tramadol with no problems, but for some people it can be a double-edged sword. Flu-like symptoms can be a reaction to abrupt withdrawal, and it may be that your body thinks that's what you were doing. Unpleasant as that might be, it's better than any new infection issues. Do discuss this with your doctor on Monday. I'm sure Jo will respond as soon as she can.

Try not to stress....hah! Easy to say and hard to do. Btw, your conversation with Karri about teaching brings me fond memories. I was a middle school English teacher and a school counselor for 33 years before I retired. I am GLAD to be retired...but I was always challenged and energized by my career. I hope you can continue for as long as you want. And when you no longer want....I hope you have a great retirement life too. :)

Sharon
 
Thank you @Sharon! So I will take the Tramadol every 8 hours until I talk to my doctor and figure out what to do from this point.
Congratulations on youryears of teaching~ you touched many students at 33 years. I am at 25 years. :)
Thank you for your kind words! I hope and pray I am to be back in August. Take care!
 
@Sullivand I would've been taking my temp also. Unfortunately I have little experience with tramadol. My OS prescribed it after the infection surgery, but it really did nothing for me. So I quit taking it after a day or so. I hope your dr. has an answer for you Monday.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom