THR SurreyGirls's 2nd THR Journey

That's not so good. The Uni not getting back to you is very poor. You could do without the extra stress but I guess you will just have to pester them until you get an adequate response. Good luck!
 
I think when you see the nurse about your scar you should ask about being signed off for longer. I don’t think 8 weeks is long enough at all.

Is your scar just stinging or does it feel hot to touch etc?

I would also email HR again by ways of resending your original email and saying ‘can I draw your attention again to the email I sent on this date’ etc etc!

Do you work full time?
 
I do 4 days a week theoretically but often do 5 and then take the time back when on Hols if I can . In November I will be doing two weeks of 5 days consecutively.

I am quite upset that the Uni has not even shown a Duty of Care in checking up on me. I really do need to get back to some work in October in order to keep on top of things. By wfh I can take regular breaks to walk around the garden and to stretch away from the computer. If I don’t get any reponse from them I will sort out my own phased return - and do the hours I see fit to do. I will be honest about it. Better to do this than try to do too much and end up staying off longer. Ironically when off sick I have up to 6 minths in full pay but once I Do a phased return I only get full pay for 4 !

Needless to say I have never been off for that length of time although I know quite a few others off for stress

Because I am conscientious I am not looking to getting signed off further but just wish they would pay attention to what I am trying to suggest to them One would have thought that after 27 years serviced they would at least show some respect. I am copying all correspondence or lack of it to my union just in case!

Right now I am pretty angry..
 
Nothing to add except keep a copy of your correspondence or BCC to another email address. I have heard of email accounts being locked.
I am looking at things I am doing that I can step back from that are not job related. I get involved in too many things routinely. If working from home is an option it sounds feasible- you can take mini breaks as needed and get the job done. I am trying not to think about work yet as it stresses me out. The walking, the standing, and wondering how I can get my necessary student materials together. This is hands on things not worksheets. Trying to trust that OS will properly advise. It’s not a moan by no means.
 
One would have thought that after 27 years serviced they would at least show some respect
Quite so :gaah:Just take care and remember your health comes first - if you don't get a sensible response I think you should get a sick-line!
 
I am in NHS work - also have 6 months off full sick pay. Then only 4 week phased return. Really does not make sense as they used to do rehab phased returns for up to 12 weeks.

The surgeon signed me off for 12 weeks. If I feel I need longer I won’t hesitate however it’s not good for mental health being alone at home for so long.
 
Once I use my sick days they are gone from my banked days until next academic year when I receive additional days to add to my bank. Thankfully I was fortunate to be able to bank days. How do your days work?
 
We don’t have banKed sick days , in fact 10 days off in a year sparks a formal meeting ! Fortunately surgery doesn’t not come under this. Until now I have only had 1 day sick in the last year!

Anyway let’s see what they say. Hopefully they will be sensible.
 
Last edited:
It’s interesting how sick days are covered- some industries here do not have paid sick leave.
 
It’s interesting how sick days are covered- some industries here do not have paid sick leave.
Yep. That's what has kept me unemployed until I feel zero treatment is needed on my replacement. Everywhere I've worked is just a big bucket of PTO.
 
I do realise I am fortunate to get leave on full pay and is one of the reasons I stuck the job out for this year so that I could get paid rather than resign..

My Fit note is valid until 10th October with a suggestion on it from my GP re a phased return so I will suggest a phased return from then. This is up to the line manager although he may involve OH. They have had plenty of time to sort this out! As OH are very busy this could take another week to sort out..
quite a mess but not my fault!

I’m trying not to get stressed about it.
 
In the meantime I eased up a bit on the walking and incision less painful although still very lumpy and sore to touch . Hopefully the practise nurse can reassure me on Monday.
 
Thank you for your PM :)

Sorry to hear about your consultants appointment being put back, that is so unhelpful.

I hope you can get some sort of a response from your employers this week as the 10th October is so close, they really should be having some sort of dialogue with you re your phased return.
Good luck, I hope you get this sorted - although it shouldn't be down to you to do all the leg work !
 
Many times I think it would be nice to have a magic wand to fix this sort of thing. I hope your line manager and/or OH comes through for you and a phased return is possible. It’s hard to believe that October is already here. Walking seems to take all of my energy quite literally. Hopefully the practice nurse can ease your mind. I really needed someone to say that my walking was correct even though I still have my walker. I am practicing with my cane but just not as steady feeling.
 
I found that going from a Walker to a crutches : crutch really helpful and would definitely have found a cane too wobbly…at this stage.

I am writing to my boss tomorriw along with the consultants letter re change of appt. I really do want to start working as things can’t wait much longer but, if they don’t agree to a phased return, I will ask my GP jf she can extend my Fit Note. Unfortunately Occ Health have the right to overrule the GP!

This worry could have been prevented if my email from two weeks ago had been replied to!
 
Thanks for all
Your kind comments. They are much appreciated
 
Oh my gosh, Occupational Health can overrule a GP ? ? That is just so crazy, hopefully that would never happen but that possibility just adds more stress to your situation.

I've only had one employer which had a Occ Health Dept, but never had to have any dealings with them. My last job, it was just me and my boss and our Occ Health discussions went like this:
Me - This chair is rubbish for my back.
Boss - Would you like a new chair ?
Me - Yes please !
I loved my old job and still miss it now and if it hadn't been for my hip I wouldn't have left it early :sad:
 
Well some news.

NHS nurse said incision was healing well, to take anti histamine for the itching and to start massaging twice a day. She said the hardness under the scar was Normal and would get better.

After two weeks of no response and further to another email from me, the Uni have finally referred me to Occ Health and to see their Doctor rather than just a general member of OH . That is fine by me . They did offer a phone call but I think this would be better in person . Of course I don’t know if it is going to be this week now!
 
Try to treat this doctor the same- if you need to work from home say so. Here in the states their doctors sometimes are more sympathetic to employers instead of being impartial. You can also check with your personal doctor to see if it aligns with their opinion. Going in person may help as they can see how you are maneuvering about.
Thanks for the antihistamine tip! I have taken care of my incision but am squeamish about it still- I still have scabs at this point.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom