THR SurreyGirls's 2nd THR Journey

Well it took me 11 weeks until I had the confidence to try :-) I think if it had been Hubby’s Rav 4 it would have been earlier as that car is easy to get in and out of.

I am running courses weeks of 6th and 13th November so need to be back fully driving by then…and in the dark :-(

Next; Project Socks!
 
I have trimmed my toenails! I have still been wearing sandals. At some point I need to look for slip-ons with good support. I have not attempted socks or closed shoes. Foot swelling is much better.
Thanks for the shout out on the RAV4. Whenever I need a new vehicle I plan to go taller. A small SUV would be ideal right now.
 
I am hoping to drive my mx5 for at least another 5 years if I can but may have to admit defeat eventually. But would probably go for a Rav or small SUV at some point… but not yet if I can help it!
 
Well done on the drive @SurreyGirl - not sure I could cope with a low car even now at almost 10 months out!

Whenever I need a new vehicle I plan to go taller. A small SUV would be ideal right now.
Have a look at the Skoda Kamiq - I changed from a lower car to the Kamiq last year and I just love it. Not a massive vehicle but easier to get in and out of and a slightly higher view of the road. It runs well too. Well done with the toe-nails @Hippie Chick

Good luck to both of you with the socks! :)
 
Thanks @Newhip_Pol !
Slight setback today and just before I am doing my first proper drive to work in 2.5 months.

I went to the supermarket with hubby and I was pushing the trolley. My fault, I put too much in it so it was requiring an effort to push. And turned a corner without thinking and twisted my hip. It’s hurting a fair bit tonight so icing it, have taken painkillers and fingers crossed for tomorrow..

I am feeling rather stupid!
 
Oh no! I hope it improves by tomorrow. Good luck with everything tomorrow! Let us know how work goes!
 
@SurreyGirl At this point in your recovery you probably just aggravated soft tissues around the joint. Ice, elevate and meds. I remember my first "twisting error" post RTHR. It can take a couple of days to settle. :fingersx:
 
Well done on going out for your first drive, it will be a little while longer before I venture out, I might need to practice in the local supermarket's car park first, I will let hubby drive me there just to be sure. The tip about the i-stop is helpful, as my car has something similar which I originally turned off as it was bugging me but hopefully I can figure out how to turn it back on as it sounds like it could be quite helpful now.

Hope your hip is feeling better now, it's so easy when things are going well to forget we still have to be careful sometimes.
 
So my first day back at work.. I have been working from home for 3 weeks prior. Ugh! 50 minute drive into work (I did put a cushion on the seat (thanks @Hippiechick213 ) and about 25 mins of that was stop start driving in heavy traffic. Hip did start to moan at me after a while.
Parked in a nice wide disabled slot... Able to open the car door fully. Still had to raise knee about hips to swing out but only slightly. Once I was seated at 90 degrees to the car got out ok... Quite stiff so decided to walk around for 5 minutes with back straight before going to the office.

Office chair quite comfortable and able to stretch right leg out.

People seemed pleased to see me and quite a few asked me how I was. Not many knew I had been off for a hip op! One of them said "But that is a Major Operation" - and that I was looking well.

Managed to work until 3:30pm and then made the decision to drive home in the daylight and work from home the rest of the day. Driving home took around 35 minutes and no issues.

Slapped some ice on as soon as I got home.

VERY tired now. Hubby making mushroom fusilli and we will watch Masterchef..

Re going back to work: I think it was Jaycey or Layla that published the list of activities re going back to work, ie having to get dressed, drive, work, get back etc and an 8 hour day can easily turn into 10 hours and not to underestimate it.. I totally get it!

1st day. Done..
 
That's a full day but you got through it with no drama. Your new hip withstood all of that. Fantastic.

The fatigue doesn't let up but with strength that will eventually pass.

Take a rest and enjoy your evening.
 
Awesome! I am glad that you had a good first day back. I drove yesterday evening to my waste/recycling center. Someone there lifted my bags which was truly appreciated. Getting in and out of the car requires serious effort! Walking around for a couple of minutes was probably very beneficial and worth the time. Your meal plans sound delightful!
 
the list of activities re going back to work, ie having to get dressed, drive, work, get back etc and an 8 hour day can easily turn into 10 hours and not to underestimate it
Yes! That is the Phased return to work article that lists tasks that we don't consider, which take energy, as we prepare to return to work. It's easy to simply envision yourself in the work place without taking into consideration all you have to do to get there! Glad it went pretty smoothly for you, SurreyGirl. I hope you sleep really well tonight!
 
That commute sounds like my commute before the pandemic, took 50 minutes to go 19 miles in the morning. Luckily, my workplace decided to be all remote,

Sounds like you had a good day, and it was probably nice to see people. I feel like I get more work done at home though. But I do miss the people.

Good luck today.
 
Thank you! Worked from home today - back to normal hours.. Took a few breaks from the computer as I stiffen up otherwise. Not planning to drive again until Monday but then I have a very full on week..
It was nice to see people yesterday but I found the openplan office very noisy after working from home.. Thank goodness for noise-cancelling headphones.
 
Hi SurreyGirl!
Given the time difference you're probably snoozing for the night by now. Stopping by to say :hi:
and wish you a Happy Three Month Anniversary! I hope you are having a good week and looking forward to the holidays with your new hip Take care! :)
@SurreyGirl
 
Thanks very much!

Yes - three months.

I am still partially sleeping on my back but the times sleeping in my non-op side are getting longer. The operated hip doesn’t like it though… guess this will come in time..

Just finished a full week where I was driving in every day, looking after 20 delegates, walking around the Uni - lots of steps… and rotten weather - and I took them out to dinner last night. First time driving in the dark for over 9 months!

I did take regular breaks from the computer and made sure I stretched . Getting used to low toilet seats not easy and I managed to pull the door handle off the loo door at the restaurant last night as was pulling on it to help me get up… whoops! Not doing that again…

Driving was the hardest part as 3 trips in the rush hour and Thames water doing repairs everywhere so lots of temporary traffic lights and queues . I tried to stagger my times driving in but not always possible to avoid rush hour! So I often arrived at work in some pain. I think I will take an icepack in next week to calm things down after the initial drive in… .

At the end of the week I am now exhausted and more of the same work-wise next week. I have taken care to ice every night when getting home and take some painkillers (paracetemol) if needed. Hip complaining a bit but not too bad. Enough to remind me I am nowhere near fully healed as yet. And not to overdo it..

But, on the whole. Positive .

Thanks everyone for their great support. I have really appreciated it. Hope I can help others in some way..
 
Please keep sharing the strategies that are working- like the ice pack for after the drive. I have driven several times now and it is getting easier. I now slide the seat all the way back to enter but leave the back without adjusting. It’s the little things that make life easier during recovery. I also carry a small grabber in the car for when I drop things in the car. Happy Friday!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom