THR SurreyGirls's 2nd THR Journey

Congratulations on becoming a 'Great Aunty' What wonderful news for you and your family :loveshwr:
 
Some news. I have just become a “Great Aunty” for the first time. My niece Laura has given birth to a gorgeous baby girl.

Laura has been struggling with stomach cancer for years. The birth was hard and there were complications. She got sepsis and the baby had a low heartbeat and infection so a very tense few days. They are now recovering and out of ICU… I hope they will be home very soon.

I finally have my appt with my Consultant tomorrow - delayed due to the Strikes but my problems are tiny compared to what my niece has just been through.

She is one very brave lady. Her husband is lovely too so I am hoping for the best for this new little family.
Oh my sepsis - that must have been very tough and scary for everyone. Sounds like Laura has had a very tough time. I hope she and her little one recovers quickly and are very happy.
 
Congrats on new Auntie status, SurreyGirl! The baby is such a blessing after all your dear niece has been through.
My heart goes out to her. Thankfully, Laura, and baby are out of intensive care and thriving. Whew!

Best wishes with your appointment with the consultant tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.
Have a great afternoon and evening! @SurreyGirl
 
Spoke too soon. X Ray today and physio plus walking. Log leg being lifted by other people sone more gentle than others.. And pain started big time. Such a shame as had been doing really well.

And one agency nurse not showed tonight so Kelly looking after 18 patients one of whom is rather poorly, and they are an hour behind with the meds. Poor old NHS and poor patients . Hoping to get more than three hours sleep tonight.. !
18 patients - oh my goodness, really tough for Kelly, it's just not possible to manage properly with that number. With staff shortages it's really hard for nurses.
 
They just tried to give me two Bp pills at once. Pharmacist got the prescription wrong. Imagine. It is 1 twice a day..
oh dear. I was told the Op Pre med opioid can impact blood pressure, brings it down. My blood pressure went up after the Op, so it was ok for me to take another one, that actually did bring my bp down to the right level, though I took it for the pain not the blood pressure.
 
Update:
I saw the Consultant's Registrar.. He has only been with the Consultant a few weeks as they have had the usual annual changeover. He looked about 30 years old!

The first thing he said to me was "Why are you still on a crutch"? I explained that I still didn;t feel that stable on one leg and that as the hospital was very busy the crutch was there as much for protection and to stop people bumping into me. He asked if I used a crutch at home and I said no..

He checked my walking and said it all looked good and to practise doing longer distances without the crutch in order to help balance but taking it with me - or a stick in case I didn't feel quite secure.

He told me my X-ray was fine - manipulated the leg and said all seemed v good. No need for another X-ray

The scar is now healing well despite the previous blip. He said the occasional burning and itching was normal and it was likely the stiches internally causing this but it would all get better.

I did ask him to look at the bone on my toe causing issues and he said it was likely arthritis but to try to do anything I could to stay out of hospital and avoid another GA! I was too scared to ask him what was on my records to cause that comment but I do remember being a tad low on oxygen the first night of the recovery.

I mentioned the ongoing fatigue especially since going back to work and having recently had Covid. He said "what did I expect - hip surgery was a major operation!"

So I am now cleared to do everything.. They are keeping me on the books for the next six months in case I need to make another appointment but otherwise don't need to see me again.

All very reassuring!
 
just coming to the end of my third week back at work but working from home. Project "drive my car" tomorrow although I would prefer to get in and out of it when the ground is not wet!

Went for a chinese meal last night and forgot my cushion but the chair seat was not too bad. The chinese wait staff were really kind. Hubby and I had a nice time. It was nice to wear a new Autumn dress I had bought in the sale which went nearly down to my feet - just as well as shaving legs on on the agenda atm :-)

Scar still stinging somewhat but Bio Oil now being applied and this seems to stop it.

Next week will be "project socks" but I am not hurrying this one.
 
Hope getting back to driving goes smoothly tomorrow. How much longer before you have to drive to work ?

I haven't attmpted to return to driving yet, I'm finding just sitting in the car as a passenger is still quite uncomfortable, so much so that it's quite distracting, so I will wait a bit longer before venturing out for a drive.

Going out for a chinese sounds lovely, you mentioned your cushion, is it a soft cushion for comfort or a firm cushion for height ?
 
Good luck with Project Drive My Car and Project Socks.
May they both be a success for you! :wink:
@SurreyGirl
 
@SurreyGirl please share your driving adventure! I put a cushion in my passenger seat today which helped me not have to sink as low getting in the car today. I had Italian for lunch also with no chair cushion. That is getting a little better. @Esmeralda my sister found a lovely thick cushion which is comfy while also being tall (height).
 
Project Driving…week 11 post op…

So the rain yesterday finally stopped.

I approached the “step from hell” down to the ground from the hallway. My little red car, glistening from the raindrops, beckoned to me. Oh the Temptation.

Feet on the edge of the step
As taught. Step down using operated leg. Left leg narrowly missing half squashed large slug. Ugh!

Unlock the car, open car door wide, move seat back as far as it will go. Turn at 90 degrees from the car’s length and lower my bottom into the seat (no cushion as decided to try without. Swing left leg in. The right leg won’t swing in without bending. This is a problem. I have to lift knee above hip to swing leg in. I manage it and adjust the seat.

I play with the pedals a bit and then depress the clutch and press the start button.

NOTHING HAPPENS!

@hippiechick..
 
Last edited:
Cursing I try again and the engine splutters rather than roars into life. Hubby watching carefully from the doorstep
I slowly reverse. He of course is worried about his precious Rav 4!

Reversing is fine and I put the car into a forward position, get to the end of our drive and make a right turn onto the road making sure nothing is coming from either direction. No macho type movements for now! .

I drive for about 20 minutes and have no problem reaching the speed limit . When safe to do so I try a few semi-emergency stops. Seems ok.

The only issue is when turning around in a carpark to get back on the main road and to return home I find that the brake movement is a bit painful. Guess this is because my heel is still in front of the accelerator and the toe on the brake pedal.. meaning that the foot is turning inwards and this may impact the hip. I decide I will turn on the i-stop control next time do I don’t have to worry about the brake until
I engage the clutch.
 
Last edited:
I get home safely and park. Door fully open, seat back and I swivel round at 90 degrees.

With hubby watching I lean forward and push down with my hands on the seat. Half standing I am now in the crouch position. I stand up fully. Success! I am so glad I did arm strengthening exercises prior to the op..

Hubbys comment ? “I have parked too close to his car”!

However, I go up the “step from hell” into the hall feeling v pleased with myself.

Lessons learnt?

I may need to find an alternative way to get into the car if I can
I will use the cushion and put it under my right leg. This might feel easier in the hip.
The car needs a wash!

End…
 
Yay! Congratulations on your drive! I imagine you had fun music playing as well. I am still using the trash bag for easier pivot. The cushion saved me a few inches plus it raises my hips a bit. I am trying to remember drivers Ed but cannot. I do the brake without moving the foot as well. Thank heavens I don’t have a clutch to worry about! Loved reading your driving update! Thanks for sharing the adventure! Enjoy your Saturday!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom