Guest viewing is limited

TKR Surprised and a bit confuse...from looking around, that makes me normal - I guess!

@socman I know, at 15 weeks, I'll take a least a year to recover from this brutal surgery. I'm still at the point that I can't even consider getting my second knee done. The consultant reckoned 2 years for that knee, I'll be pushing that back for as long as I can, as I still feel this is the worst thing I've ever done.
Some people seem to get through this op much quicker than others.
I'm still also using a walking stick but only outside, on uneven ground.
My only plus through this surgery journey is I never had any trouble sleeping at night or troubled with many zingers.
It's a long revovery, take care
 
I seem to have days where I feel that I am moving backwards in my recovery. The pain in my surgical knee can be bothersome...I'm not moaning or screaming, but it's there and it can make walking a bit difficult. My right knee remains in need of surgery, but I cannot even consider it right now. I would like my left knee to be more "fully recovered".

I did go to my surgeon the other day for a check up. I know so little about what to expect, or what is normal pain and what should be of a concern. He took x-rays and felt and manipulated my knee. His finding: All looks good and is normal. Pain? He feels that it will lessen when my knee becomes stronger/recovers more. So, I guess that I am being a bit impatient, but, then again, I do not know what I should be experiencing at this time - just about five months out.

Hope everyone is doing well. I am heading out for a short bike ride...easy does it.

Roger
 
@socman
Sounds like you got a great report from you surgeon. The fact that you are comfortable riding your bike is a sign that you are doing well.

Some quick reminders (I know you've heard these before from us):
1. Every recovery is a bit of a roller-coaster ride with ups and downs, advances and setbacks.
2. There is no "normal" because each recovery is unique. We each heal at our own individual rate.
3. And, yes, you are being impatient! This is a year-long recovery. At five months, you aren't even halfway through. Give it time.
 
Only 5 months out - patience my friend!

[Bonesmart.org] Surprised and a bit confuse...from looking around, that makes me normal - I guess!
 
Hi socman,
Five months down with the possibility of seven to go. That’s a rough estimate. Many take a full year to heal, some even longer, then some even less. Trust that your body is doing its thing and healing at a pace best for you.
May it only get better! :)
@socman
 
This morning, after a pretty good night of sleep, I found it almost impossible to walk without my cane. My left knee felt like it was going to "give way" ... like it did for a time prior to surgery. Could someone tell me if this is somewhat common when it comes to healing? I know that for me, pain will be with me for a while, but this was different. It felt that if I might make a wrong or sudden move, it would collapse on me...I hope I am not exaggerating about this. I hope that it is a common experience that may happen from time to time as the knee continues to heal. NOTE: This afternoon, it appears to be better, but most of the morning it felt like I explained....weird to have such extremes....then again, perhaps not.

Thanks, in advance, for enlightening me,

Roger
 
Last edited:
@socman Have you done anything new lately - a new activity perhaps? It's not unusual for the knee to complain following a new "ask". But if this is just out of the blue - I would contact your surgeon.
 
. Could someone tell me if this is somewhat common when it comes to healing?
Yes, this is normal that's why you should be using a walking assistance device until your knee is healed more and gets stronger. I used a cane out of the house for about 5-6 months until I got secure. It wasn't so much me, but other people that might have bumped into me, knocking me off balance. Just having my cane helped me not to be so worried about that.
 
“I seem to have days where I feel that I am moving backwards in my recovery.”

@socman,
I had my first (right) TKR January 16, 2023. I did quite well, had most of the same symptoms of healing but had no sleep disturbances, I think sleep makes everything more tolerable! The new knee actually started to feel more “normal” than my old (bone on bone, some varus deformity) knee. The old knee felt more stiff, unstable and sore early in the day until later when both knees were tired.

I had the “old” left knee replaced June 5, 2023. For awhile I felt I had had the second replacement too soon, seemed more swelling, more pain, trouble sleeping. These symptoms are slowly improving and having 2 knees that function as designed rather than both knees being “bone on bone, varus deformity”, stiff is becoming pretty amazing to me. Yes, there is still pain, swelling, occasional bouts of wondering whatever possessed me to do this once, much less twice; but as both knees continue to heal and strengthen I know it will be worth it.

I think a couple months more would have been helpful as far as some activities (going upstairs, for one) but I know that I’ll get to a better place with walking and mobility eventually. Your doctor knows you, your knees and how you cope and is a good judge of when you will do best with your second knee replacement.

Don’t worry, fret and anticipate a miserable repeat of this first recovery. The BoneSmart staff all assure us each knee is different in its recovery. Do some visualization exercises picturing your recovery with the expected discomfort and then smooth healing with good sleep and appropriate care of your knees.

We are so lucky to be able to get new, functional knees and not have to live with more and more pain and increasingly less mobility for the rest of our lives. Continue to pay attention to your knees, work on slow, steady rehabilitation and you’ll have a great result with 2 capable knees. Blessings
 
New Insight:

I was wondering why my knee was hurting so badly after six months. Well, I discovered that the seat cushion I was using in my recliner was not allowing my feet to hit the ground much at all. In essence, the lower portions of my legs were hanging, and, by default, pulling my lower legs away from my upper legs...and what's in the middle of all that action? Yup...my knees.

As of two days ago, I removed the thick cushion from my chair and viola...much less pain and no need for my cane. The relief was almost immediate. Never thought about how the cushion might impact my knees, but, in my case, it was a significant amount. Took me a while to figure it out because when I initially started using the cushion, I did not have such pain...only developed after a couple of weeks.

I just could not figure out why my knee replacement was starting to hurt so badly that I could hardly walk for minutes after getting out of a chair or even my bed. Now I know. I am going to pull back from all of my exercising for a week to let my knee kind of regroup...then we begin once again.

Thought I'd post about this because someone else may be doing the same thing...but, then again, maybe most people would know better ;-).

Roger
 
Last edited:
Happy Monday Roger!
It is great news that you discovered what was causing your knee pain and found relief!
Thank you for sharing that information as a cautionary tale for others following behind you. I hope you have a wonderful week! :SUNsmile:
@socman
 
Have arrived at the point where I need to schedule TKR for my right knee. The pain, upon lifting myself up and putting weight on both knees after a period of inactivity, is horrible. I have to take "baby steps" for about three to five minutes before my knees can handle walking around the house. After waking up in the morning and taking my first steps is always interesting! Over the past few weeks, I noticed that a lot of my pain in my bad knee seems to be located behind it...like muscles, tendons, etc., on the back side.

So, bottom line for me: Looking forward to surgery during the first week in October...about four months shy of a full year of recovery for my left knee. My bone doctor was initially firm about waiting for a full year to pass, but I think he realizes the pain in my bad knee allows him justify moving the next surgery up....yippy!

Roger
 
Do you have a surgery date yet? We will update your signature for you.

At least you will be done and dusted with those knees soon! No more pain and lack of mobility. :happydance:
 
Should be able to confirm the specific surgery date this week with one of my doctor's surgical nurse....then the pre-op stuff will start with the dental check, x-rays, physical, heart EKG, and other tests required by my surgeon.
 
Will be following you up a couple of weeks later in October. When I go to my 6 week post op, I will schedule for October for my right knee. My OS only requires 6 weeks between knees but we have things going on in September through the first week of October. By the holidays, hoping to be feeling much better. Not healed, of course, but with 2 new knees and just the discomfort of healing, not the pain of bone on bone.
 
I had my second just under 5 months after my first because, as I had expected, the stress of working so hard made that knee complain too much!
It's been a little discouraging to have the earlier one's rehab stalled, but it is holding up very well to the challenge of being the main lower limb.
You'll be ok!!!
 
I was wondering...has anyone tried CBD oil for knee pain? I have a month and one-half to go before my second procedure and the knee pain is unbearable some days. Can hardly walk. I cannot take any more injections, and I really do not wish to take any opioids unless absolutely necessary. Just curious is anyone has tried and had luck with the oil. Thanks, Roger
 
My experience with purchased topical CBD (from a longtime skin care company I trust to not lie about dosage, since supplements aren't regulated and often the contents and labels don't align) is that it did nothing for pain, but was effective for reducing itch from a plant allergy. I'm curious to read of others' experiences.
Is there a reason you can't use topical NSAIDs like voltarin?
 
OK...now things are getting real. Surgery date for my second TKR is set for October 10th, first thing in the morning. Started pre-op with x-rays last week, now we go to the heart doctor for clearance. Then towards the end of September, all the other pre-op checks and visits.

A bit nervous about it all, but so happy that I will be losing this horrible knee pain...so over that! I am hoping that the second time around most things will be better since a person should have a pretty good idea about what is coming.

Getting mentally geared up for the first three weeks after surgery. I am saving all of my binging on Netflix for those overnights when sleep rarely visits.

Later,

Roger
 
@socman
i just had my second knee done, 6 years after the first. AN old wise Sage said: no two knees are alike even on the same person! I read that advice over and over again. But the wise old Sage was right!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom