TKR Surprised and a bit confuse...from looking around, that makes me normal - I guess!

Hello and Happy Three Month Anniversary.
I hope the right knee injection brought you relief. Let us know how you're doing as time allows.
Wishing you a great Spring 2023!
@socman
 
My right knee injection worked, but just a little - and I will take it! Surgeon told me that even though my right knee is bone on bone, I will need to wait at least until October before he will consider surgery. Thank goodness most of the waiting will be done over the summer and early Fall time...I think waiting through Winter would be much more troublesome and long. Got to find that silver lining is everything!

Hope all is well with everyone. Three month recovery mark: sleeping better, still have pain in my left knee, swelling down, less pain, still maintaining flex and motion, and not taking any medication for pain these days...nothing!

Things could be a lot worse if you ask me, so I am pleased with the recovery process. Roger
 
I’m glad to hear the injection helped you and that you’re feeling like things are on a positive track. But I am a bit confused as to why the surgeon wants to wait until October for surgery. Did he give you a reason? Usually you must wait 3 months after an injection…..but October is more than that.
 
He indicated that he wants almost a full year of recover time on the TKR knee. It will be about ten months for me that point. You are correct about the injections...at least three months. Not sure if he is thinking that I will get another in my right knee come July, or not. I told him (before I took the injection) that if he wanted to make room for me on his schedule, that I would be OK doing my right knee next week...he would not hear of it. Roger
 
Thanks for the information. He knows you and your case best, so I'd agree it's best to follow his advice. I hope you can remain relatively pain free during the wait.
 
Week 20 - Finally feeling a bit "whole" once again. Still have fleeting pain issues in new knee, and I feel the new parts moving and connecting with one another. I do experience a small bit of pain when parts move a bit...kind of depends upon how I am holding my leg and its position. Overall - much improved and I attribute the small amount of pain and discomfort to the "reconnections being made" in my new knee area...parts are getting used to the new me in the knee area.

Going riding later today...plan on a 16 mile bike trip on my local nature trail. Usually, I go for 7-10 miles, but I feel my knees are up to the challenge. Will stop at take breaks if I feel the need - no reason to rush. Both legs can feel very sore after sleeping at night and after sitting for an extended period of time. I find I have to give myself a minute for things to get ready to move. I do use my cane from time to time when I feel a bit unsteady - primarily due to my right knee that is in bad need of a TKR procedure. Cannot wait until October!

Shots no longer impact "good" knee and I get little pain relief...will not take a shot again in my right knee. Cost/benefit ratio is skewed too much in a bad way!

Final knee x-rays on Monday morning to ensure all looks proper...then I am on my own, I guess.

Great weekend to everyone.
 
Shots no longer impact "good" knee and I get little pain relief...will not take a shot again in my right knee. Cost/benefit ratio is skewed too much in a bad way!
There is another reason to stop the injections. Many surgeons make patients wait at least 3 months from the time of the injection to scheduling surgery. Hope you can hang in there until October!
 
I hope your ride went okay. Our normal recommendation would be to start slow and work up to something like you’re planning. You’ll find out if it was too much….your knee could be painful in the 24 hours following the ride. That would be normal and it just means to rest up a bit and start slower next time….maybe 5-6 miles.
 
I decided to stop at 8 miles...was a bit to uncertain about 16. I am the last person who wishes to overdo things. Wishful, rather than mindful, thinking. Yes - the injections...I think I am planning on October for the final surgery on my right knee. Even with the next scheduled injection, I would not be that far off, but I am not going to get it so the point is well taken, but moot for my situation...no more shots in my knee!

Thanks to all,

Roger
 
My OS also didn't want to do my second TKR until this fall. He thought it would be best to get some time behind me on this knee and then go ahead with the second knee. I'm ok with that because I have things this summer that I want to do and a second TKR would prohibit that. I got the impression that if my left knee were to go further downhill, he could be persuaded to do it sooner. Happily, having one good knee has made the second knee fell less awful.
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary, Roger!
Wishing you comfort and many days of manageable or no pain as you await October. Let us know when you get your Right TKR scheduled so we can support you on your journey. All the best!
@socman
 
Thanks! I will be sure to let you folks know when things get scheduled. Will start working with intake nurse near end of July-middle of August. I think that I will have a few less pre-surgery hurdles to jump over this time around. Hoping that my right knee will be my "good knee" as far as TKR surgery goes! Roger
 
Hello Everyone,

Concerned a bit. I may be over-reacting, but I am just a tad uncertain about what I should expect to be experiencing at the "just over 4 months post-op" period.

Things that concern me...

1) My knee still feel a bit swollen and a bit warm at times.

2) I have pain on the left (outer) side of my left knee right under the corner of the patella.

3) Still use wedge at night, but this seems to make my knee ache by morning...very stiff when rising.

4) From time to time feel very sharp electrical shocks around my knee area - strange feeling!

5) Continue to be very numb on the outer, left side of knee - feels like I had a shot of lidocaine.

6 ) Find that I still need my cane to feel secure at times.

7) With bad right knee, find it hard to walk to my mailbox (driveway is at an angle...walking down hurts).

8) Riding bike with only minor pain, but very little discomfort to no discomfort...up to 16 miles...nice & easy.

That is about it. I am really starting to believe that it may take a full year for a person to recover from this kind of surgery. I am trying to be a good patient, but it's a bit frustrating at times. Knee can be very stiff and sore after sitting for an extended period of time...reminds me that I have a journey in front of me!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Roger
 
I am really starting to believe that it may take a full year for a person to recover from this kind of surgery.
I think you have answered your own questions. Yes, one year or longer depending on the condition of your knee pre-op and the complexity of the TKR. All your concerns sound like normal recovery issues. Don't worry and don't try and push through anything.

Patience at this point is the greatest challenge. But you will get there!
 
I’m glad you realize that “recovery” from a TKR is a journey and it can extend over what always seems like a long period of time when you’re in the middle of it. All the things you describe can be considered a normal part of your recovery and should improve with time. Obviously, it doesn’t help that your other knee is bad as well. If you are considering having it replaced in the future, that will help the recovery of your left knee improve.

Try as much as possible to maintain a normal gait when you walk. Using your cane is a great way to assist with this. What you want to avoid is any type of “hitch” or limp as you walk. Sometimes that can be a challenge when you still have one bad knee to deal with.
 
My knee still feel a bit swollen and a bit warm at times
My knee is still slightly warmer than the other knee at 7 months. It doesn't swell now but gets a bit tight/ sore/more definitely warmer by evening sometimes.
I am seeing my surgeon in a couple of weeks and will check this out- but suspect I will be told it is within normal range post knee replacement surgery.
 
Find that I still need my cane to feel secure at times.
I have only recently abandoned my walking stick almost completely. I only now use it for train trips into Central London and will continue to use it at Airports when I get back to travelling. I like to lean on it if there is a lot of standing as this can still get a bit uncomfortable even at 7 months.
Sitting can be uncomfortable if there is limited leg room and I can't stretch out. I will definitely pay for extra leg room for any flights over a couple of hours- for at least another year.
 
EalingGran...

Sorry, but I never gave your name too much of an analytical cast. It is funny you mention that you are located in England. Whenever I read your name, I immediately have an urge to go brew myself a cup of.....yup....ready for it......Earl Grey (EalingGran...Earl Grey), tea!

Silly I know. True? Yes it is. Now I am in the mood for a nice cup of peppermint tea. Relaxing...soothing...just what the doctor ordered on an overcast, rainy day.

Thanks to all for the reminders, information, and important advice!

Cheers,

Roger
 
You're doing fine Socman. It takes time. I still had zingers (electronic shock pains) on my right knee over a year! The numbness remains but I can only tell when I am lotioning my legs and knee after a shower.

And I'll always travel with a cane or if I have to go to seminar, etc. where I have to walk alot or walk fast (at airports). They have those folding canes to expand as needed. Keep us posted. We're here for you :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom