TKR Surprised and a bit confuse...from looking around, that makes me normal - I guess!

I do not wish to jinx anything, but last night was my 2 month mark post-op. The big news is that last night was the very first night that I went to bed and managed to sleep for about six hours...a few stops and starts, but pretty much all night long!!! I woke up so motivated and pleased by the night's events. Just feel quite happy.

I know that in the future there will be good and not-so-good nights when it comes to sleeping, but last night showed me what was possible!

Took one Tylenol PM and it appears to have helped...thanks to all members who recommended it.

I also noticed that today, my knee presents the least amount of swelling in weeks...perhaps just another sign that mending is taking place, slowly, but it is happening.

Today - it's all good!

Roger

One day about one week out I had sharp tingles like sparklers steadily going off in my lower leg. Tgey hurt but not too badly. I though it was nerve endings coming alive again after the trauma of the surgery. They still happened off and on for a week but less and less often.

Good news at the 8 week point, socman!
I'm 9 weeks and can honestly say things got better at 8 weeks. We both have a long way to go. Be very careful not to join the ODIC (over did it club). It's tempting to try to do more, walk further, stationery bike longer. DON'T DO THAT. LOL.
I've been very careful to take it slowly and its paying off.
Really glad you're seeing improvement!

I have an issue that I have been putting off bringing up. It is more emotional than physical, I think. Over the past weeks as recovery continues, my sleep deprivation has increased - although I had a pretty relaxing night a couple of nights ago. Usually, I get between one and three hours (if lucky) of sleep. I then wake up and head for the living room where I sit in my recliner....and then it starts.

I tend to get a very "nervous feeling stomach"...like butterflies. I feel on edge and a bit out of sorts. Also, my legs can also feel a bit weird. Usually, this passes after a few hours - about the time the sun starts rising. I then try to catch a couple of more hours of sleep at that time. What bothers me is the nervous feeling I get in my stomach. It kind of makes me feel very uneasy about the situation.

I am beginning to think that the lack of a good sleep routine, as well as the obvious physical constraints on me, are starting to get me a tad anxious...especially at night. I can almost count on the same routine night after night and that probably adds to my anxiety/depression. And, I am beginning to wonder it I am not developing a bit of situational depression or anxiety - perhaps both. It just feels like I get stressed out after waking up at 1:00 a.m., or so.

It seems that when I occupy myself with daily routines, these feelings are fleeting or go away. I am not sure if I am explaining myself properly as this is all rather new to me. It also doesn't help that the situation makes me feel that I do not have much control over my life at this time...which is probably an exaggeration.

Has anyone felt like this after weeks of pretty good recovery? My stomach and GI area just feels like its jumping around....kind of like it's full of butterflies...weird.

Physically, I think my recovery is going well, but it may be starting to take a bit of a toll on me emotionally. I think it is a bit reassuring that I can sit back and kind of think about this stuff clearly and not go off the rails about it. I also believe that this kind of stress and anxiety might be quite normal for most people...I am just not sure how best to deal with it. I am rather isolated at this time. Only my sister drops by from time to time. Other than that, it's just me and my two small dogs. Knowing that I am not alone may help me cope with all this weirdness and discomfort. Never like leaning on folks for help, but I think I have arrived at a point where that may be what the doctor orders!

As you might be able to tell, it is kind of hard for me to admit this, but I sure could use some sound advice. And, for the record, I do not like taking medications of any kind, e.g., got off my pain meds as soon as I could. Only take OTC meds as needed at this point. I elevate and ice during the day. My routine is getting old...lots of sitting and watch television. Once the weather turns this week...I plan to hit the nature trail for short and very slow bike rides of 7-8 miles per day, e.g., about one hour's worth of slow leg workout. I think being stuck in the house during what has turned out to be a long Winter has taken a toll on me, as well as the surgery and related issues.

Thanks to anyone who might offer some advice and encouragement...I think I could use it!

Roger

PS - NOTE: I think that I might be experiencing a bad case of "post-op blues" as discussed in that general posting made by one of the administrators. Kind of summed up what I might be experiencing...and it sure feels real!

Last edited:
I think that I might be experiencing a bad case of "post-op blues"
Yes, that's exactly what it sounds like.

The blues hit at different times for different people: some folks feel it in that first month after surgery; others not for several months. For me, dark days hit around week 5, then went away, and then came back again at about 3 months.

I agree with you that the lack of sleep is likely contributing to the emotional rollercoaster you are on.

While it's coming to go through this, you don't have to live with it. Have you considered talking with your PCP about prescribing a short course of anti-anxiety/anti-depression medication to help with this? I found that it really helped me.

Keep us posted!

@socman , what meds are you taking? I've had the same butterfly/anxiety feelings from both codeine and high dose (800mg) ibuprofen.

WFD - taking a bit of Ibuprofen, plus Celebrex once a day. I usually follow the Celebrex with two to three doses of two pills of ibuprofen throughout the day, spaced properly, and depending on discomfort levels. With the Celebrex, it may be too much! Thanks, Roger

Benne68 - will discuss the possible need with my PCP. I do not relish taking psychotropics, but I also do not like the feelings that I have started experiencing....very disconcerting. Thank you, Roger

@socman your surgery was on your knee but the impact has been on your entire body (and soul if you’re a believer). The stress as you got ready for your surgery, the surgery itself, and the post-op “drama” which continues for months.

I have suffered with anxiety and depression for most of my adult life and take medication. After my first surgery, i experienced the nervousness you described. I finally came to realize it was just part of the healing process. I also live alone and discovered I was afraid that something would happen. I arranged with my sister to exchange texts several times during the day. I also did some journaling, writing down any worries, times of my nervous episodes, and successes.

When the time came for my second surgery, I felt better prepared and, although I did have a bit of the nervousness, it was not as bad. I’m already journaling about my upcoming surgery and trying to stay focused on the positives.

Keep sharing here as folks understand the trauma our entire being experiences.

taking a bit of Ibuprofen, plus Celebrex once a day. I usually follow the Celebrex with two to three doses of two pills of ibuprofen throughout the day, spaced properly, and depending on discomfort levels. With the Celebrex, it may be too much!
You should never take ibuprofen and Celebrex at the same time. They are both NSAIDS and can be very bad for you. You are doubling up on them which is very dangerous. Tylenol is a much better choice for anyone whose on any NSAID. Please stop taking Celebrex and ibuprofen at the same time!

The NASIDs will cause stomach aches.as @sistersinhim said you were doubling up on them. Also, any NASIDs should be taken with food. My doc made me stop Meloxicam (another NASID) while I was taking Celebrex. I am now taking a Tylenol (1000) in the morning and a Tylenol PM at night. During the day I ice and elevate when the knee starts to talk.

These folks are very much on target with the NSAIDs you're taking. Please know that just because something is sold over the counter doesn't mean the medication doesn't have serious side effects that are possible. With NSAIDs, taking more than your body can handle (and everyone is different about this), can cause anything from upset stomach to stomach bleeding that is VERY serious. The risk in taking them increases for people over the age of 65. I suspect this is the cause of your stomach issues. Please stop taking both Celebrex and any NSAID for a while to let your system settle. Switch to Tylenol until you have the opportunity to check with your doctor about what to take on a continuing basis.

You need to discuss your pain levels and what you're taking with your surgeon or GP immediately. At 2 months out you are still very early in your recovery. It's understandable that you need something. Tylenol is probably your best bet. For most people a dosage of 1000mg every 6 hours works well for pain and sometimes even for muscle contractions (which can result from uncontrolled pain).

You are doing very well with your recovery and your "slow and steady" approach is the right way to go. You can expect some swelling now and then as well as tightness in your knee for up to 6 months or more. That would be within the "normal" range. Usually some gentle exercise (like your bike riding) or stretches can help when the tightness appears.

Hi Socman. Re your sleep issues - I think that has been one of the worst things for me. I’ve never been a good sleeper anyway, and take one quarter of a sleeping tablet each night. (I’m in the U.K. and take zopiclone) I’m 11 weeks post surgery now and I well remember the awful nights I went through. Some nights in despair I would get up and go and sleep on the sofa, and usually fall asleep about 7am! For a week my husband slept on the sofa to give me more room in the bed, which was good of him, but nothing helped. We don’t have any spare beds at the moment as my son and grandchildren are staying with us while waiting to buy a house. I just can’t sleep on my back and could not get comfortable on my sides. It was a horrendous time and the nights seemed to go on and on forever. I dreaded going to bed. By about 8 weeks I was getting a few hours at a time and I must say since then it has improved so much. I only wake up about twice in the night now and have to get up for a walk as my knee is so stiff, but I feel so much better. I only have an afternoon nap now and again now, not every day. So I just want to let you know that sleep will come back eventually. As everyone says, recovering from a knee replacement is a long slow process in so many ways. Good luck with your recovery.

I wish to thank everyone for the words of encouragement and for the information about your own recoveries. So much of it crosses over between cases. The most encouraging thing to happen to me...and thanks to all of you guys for pointing out what should have been obvious to me, but was not --- NSAID (Ibuprofen) overload!
I stopped taking my Celebrex and Ibuprofen in combination (Celebrex in A.M., and Ibuprofen throughout the day), and feel much, much better. My nervous stomach issue (which was a very big issue for me) appears to have dissipated and hopefully will not return! Thank you guys...so much!!!!

In hindsight, the overload was making me experience a nervous stomach by the end of the day, and caused me to become very anxious...which fed into my lack of understanding (brain fog?), and what felt like depression.

So very thankful for this forum/website and you folks who have been there. You all deserve a pat on the back!

Roger

Thank you so much for your very kind words. We are here to help people, and that's all, so to hear how much better you are feeling now has made my day!

You will probably find that taking Tylenol, (acetaminophen), will work much better on your pain and be so much better for your body! If you google NSAIDs you'll find that it isn't just stomach issues they can cause, they can even be bad for your heart.

I’m so glad you found BoneSmart too! The fact that your body responded so quickly when stopping the overuse of NSAIDs, sounds very positive. Hopefully there was no damage done and all will normalize soon. I suggest that you stay away from them completely for at least several months just to be sure things settle down completely. You might want to make an appointment with your GP for a quick checkup to be sure all is okay, since you did have such a bad reaction. Your doctor may have some additional advice for you and may want to run some blood work just to be sure things are okay.

Starting Week 9. I really appreciate everyone's information and responses to my struggles. I know that I am not alone, but, at times, it feels like it...perhaps that is just the pity-party thing going on! In all honesty, I have never failed to feel much better about things after visiting this group. Thanks to everyone in here!

I cannot remember who told me to stop taking the Ibuprofen when taking Celebrex. Folks, I hate to admit such a stupid thing, but I was taking Celebrex, around six Ibuprofen during each 24-hour period...and I was clearly starting to feel the impact of my huge mistake! I do believe the nervous stomach and general anxiety I was experiencing was attributable to that overdosing! I am now taking one Celebrex in the A.M., and Tylenol. That is it.

One thing I did note was that I do not think I can take Tylenol PM. After I took someone's suggestion about it, I tried just one tablet at night. Within an hour, I felt like I had consumed six cups of regular coffee. In bed, I could not seem to stop moving my legs and I just finally got up. I guess I am one of those folks who have a very different experience with the PM stuff. Won't take that again!

Over the past two days, I rode my semi-recumbent bike...the rides were taken at a slow speed and I managed to do 6 - 8 miles without much discomfort at all. Took a break half way through and my knee/leg tightened up right away. When I got home I iced and elevated...nothing bad to report. I think I shall continue to ride, but keep it slow (around 8 mph) and no more than 8 miles for the first month on each ride. I also forgot to mention, I ride an ebike so I use the peddle assist when I ride...the motion is great for my knee without doing 100% of the work. Perfect for right now. My concern is that I DO NOT overdo any part of my recovery the first six months. I have much more pain in my right knee than my left...right knee is probably going to get done this coming late Fall/Early Winter....at least I know what to expect!

Well - that's about it. Things are going pretty good overall...thanks in no small part to you guys and your help and encouragement. So glad I am not going through this alone.

Roger

Glad to hear you've figured out the things that are working for you in recovery. Each one of us is different and it can take some trial and error to get there.
I cannot remember who told me to stop taking the Ibuprofen when taking Celebrex.
That was one of our staff members....sistersinhim. But we all felt GREAT relief once we learned you had stopped taking the ibuprofen and were feeling better almost immediately.

One thing I did note was that I do not think I can take Tylenol PM. After I took someone's suggestion about it, I tried just one tablet at night. Within an hour, I felt like I had consumed six cups of regular coffee. In bed, I could not seem to stop moving my legs and I just finally got up. I guess I am one of those folks who have a very different experience with the PM stuff. Won't take that again!
This happens sometimes with sleep aids. For some people the active ingredients are a stimulant instead of a calming medication. For me, when I need help to sleep, just one 500mg Tylenol will do the trick. It's kinda funny, because it doesn't make me sleepy if I take it during the day....only at night. I suspect it relaxes and calms any of those annoying aches and pains that we get as we get more "seasoned."

Roger....for you and any others reading this......we are a non-profit organization and we depend completely on donations for our existence. Your support of what we do here with a donation to BoneSmart would be much appreciated. There is a link in the blue toolbar at the top of the page. :ok:

And don't worry.....we'll be here for you throughout your recovery!

One thing I did note was that I do not think I can take Tylenol PM. After I took someone's suggestion about it, I tried just one tablet at night. Within an hour, I felt like I had consumed six cups of regular coffee.
You sound like you are really sensitive to medication. I am the same. Some people are 'slow metabolisers' of some or most drugs. This means that medication tends to accumulate in their system and they get more side effects. I often find I need lower dosages and use a pill cutter to half tablets until I am sure I can tolerate them.
I use valerian ( sold in the UK as herbal nytol) for sleep. It is a herbal remedy for sleep/ anxiety that has been used since the Middle ages and is very safe.

One thing I did note was that I do not think I can take Tylenol PM. After I took someone's suggestion about it, I tried just one tablet at night. Within an hour, I felt like I had consumed six cups of regular coffee.
You sound like you are really sensitive to medication. I am the same. Some people are 'slow metabolisers' of some or most drugs. This means that medication tends to accumulate in their system and they get more side effects. I often find I need lower dosages and use a pill cutter to half tablets until I am sure I can tolerate them.
I use valerian ( sold in the UK as herbal nytol) for sleep. It is a herbal remedy for sleep/ anxiety that has been used since the Middle ages and is very safe.
I've been using valerian, melatonin, and ashwadangha at night and it does help me sleep. I'm the same as @sistersinhim I can't seem to tolerate medication without side effects so always try and find a more natural solution. I haven't been able to find a natural anti inflammatory that works for me yet though.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back