TKR Surgery Done August 10th, 2022

Wow, that is fantastic. You've done very well in your recovery. Of course there have been ups and downs, but 125 at five weeks is great. Now for a word of caution: don't start over doing, which probably will be easy for you to do since your numbers are so good. Even though the numbers are great, its still a baby knee and healing. Great job thus far.
 
Keep up the great work. Like you, I feel very fortunate to have a good recovery. My heart goes out to all of you struggling. Keep pushing through.
 
6 weeks today since my tlkr . I went to PT today and was told I am at 125 rom. I see my Doctor tomorrow and if he agrees I don't have to do anymore PT. They said I was rocking it...so we will see.
 
Quick update....10 weeks out from LTKR, I am doing very well I think. No pain, no swelling, am walking better than I have in years. I did everything I was told to do, taking pain meds, icing all the time, I think it really helped. I think a big plus for me was I didn't try to push any rehab. The place I went to for PT was very understanding and said just do what you can and what you feel comfortable doing. I will have the right knee done next summer and pray I do as well.
 
I am pleased to hear you are doing well.

I have had a few set backs.

I followed my own initial recovery, pain meds, icing, elevation. Had a straight leg basically from after day one.

I had a Physio come to my home for 4 wks which basically was a waste of time. She sat on the lounge basically every visit. She did measure my range otherwise everything which got me this far, was simply me.

My foot has been an issue though, started off being so swollen but that is part of this journey. Then when the swelling decreased the top of the foot felt like a brick had been dropped on it.

Fast forward I have started hydro which was amazing. Doing my own program.

I had my previous physio before the surgery see me on Friday. Not the one I had doing home visits. Oh my goodness, that was a huge error of judgement on my behalf.

He bent and twisted my knee, he done the same to my sore foot. He went up my Shin with such force. It has been painful ever since.
 
He bent and twisted my knee, he done the same to my sore foot. He went up my Shin with such force. It has been painful ever since.
Someone obviously not "up" on knee replacement recovery.... So sorry you had to endure this.

As you have seen first-hand, doing your own program and what works best for you is the way to go.
I think a big plus for me was I didn't try to push any rehab.
Good for you! Glad you did things "your way".
 
Last edited:
He bent and twisted my knee, he done the same to my sore foot. He went up my Shin with such force. It has been painful ever since.
Someone obviously not "up" on knee replacement recovery.... So sorry you had to endure this.

As you have seen first-hand, doing your won program and what works best for you is the way to go.
I think a big plus for me was I didn't try to push any rehab.
Good for you! Glad you did things "your way".
I know our journey is our own.

So many Physio’s have been taught to push patients too far. Even when I told him to STOP he refused to listen and stop.

I pulled away and said yeah, we are not doing pain. That is when he gave me the big speel no pain, no gain.

I deliberately went into this recovery using my own past experience and the years of knowledge working in rehab. I believe our bodies speak to us in many ways.

Anyone who is reading who has not yet had their TKR. I have never regretted my surgeries, we have to listen to our bodies and give it the respect and time it deserves to recover.

Patience is really important after this surgery.
 
So many PTs seem to think this is "training" when what we are doing in the early months is healing. You've just had major surgery, tendons and ligaments moved aside, bones sawed off and drilled into, tissues violated in so many ways and they think "no pain, no gain" is the way to go? No!
Patience is really important after this surgery.
Truer words were never spoken! You can't exercise your way to faster healing, it just takes time, rest and gentle movements. Many members here have had major setbacks because of the ignorance of some PTs. So glad you know the real story! :flwrysmile:
 
I am pleased to hear you are doing well.

I have had a few set backs.

So sorry to hear you have had these issues and setbacks. I hope you improve and continue to improve. That's what I say....we never know how the recovery is going to go. That is why I am still nervous about getting the other one done. Hang in there.
 
Well I just saw my doctor today for a follow up and have scheduled my RTKR for August 9, 2023! Had the left done August 10, 2022.
Had mine done 2 days before you. I wonder how much of the outcome is based on surgeon. I have tightness under the skin of my knee when I walk and horrible pain at night
 
Fluid on knee.
Question I am 4 months post op from LTKR and have been doing really well. I noticed yesterday a small amount of fluid on the left side of my knee....where the knee cap is. Should I be concerned. No pain or real swelling. Ty
 
Since you have no pain I wouldn't worry about the pocket of swelling. Ice and elevate and it should disappear. If it continues to increase of gets painful be sure and let your doctor know.
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Hopefully ice and elevation has helped and your knee is better since you last posted.
Wising you joy and blessings this Christmas and in the New Year. :wreath:
@Bunnyhead
 
Just a quick update, Feb 10th, 2023 will be 6 months out from left total knee replacement. I think I am doing really well and continue to see improvement. When they say it takes a year to fully heal I believe it. I thought I had reached full improvement around 4 months and was happy with that, but my knee feels stronger and more natural all the time. The downside is I have to get the right one done. So I have that scheduled for August 9, 2023 which is almost exactly one year since the left one. At least now I know what to expect.
 
Congrats on your good recovery and upcoming TKR. We will be with you all the way, cheering you on and offering hand-holding when needed!
 
@Bunnyhead we had surgery on the same day! Sounds like you’re doing great! And next year at this time, you’ll be enjoying two new knees (: I hope things just continue to get better and better for you
 
Back
Top Bottom