TKR Surgery Done August 10th, 2022

I don't want to go back!!!!!!!!!
Why are you saying this? Did they hurt you? Therapy that hurts is bad therapy. You are the boss and what you say they have to do or not do. Being caused pain means your knee is being traumatized and inflamed even more than it already is. Gentle movements and stretches are much more beneficial than aggressive exercises. You might even do fine without going to PT. Many don't even go to PT and do fine rehabbing all on their own. I'm one of those. Saying no to therapy

Then don’t go back. Give yourself more time to heal naturally.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

8 days post op for tlkr.......Doctor visit today ,healing nicely and minimal swelling. Had to get a refill on pain meds, if only for PT. Took real shower today with hubby's help it went well but exhausted. Every day a little better,.

Attachments

• received_2660390070764956.jpeg
    received_2660390070764956.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 61
Had to get a refill on pain meds, if only for PT.
Please do not medicate prior to PT. Medication will mask pain. And pain is the signal that you are doing too much or being too aggressive.

9 days out......things are going better. I had my 3rd PT today and I really like the place I chose to go. They are very encouraging...but do not push you, pain is minimal, swelling not bad at all when I wake up in the morning...as day wears on a bit worse. I am doing more things for myself, but thank goodness for my hubby. He has been wonderful. I try to take a short walk around every couple of hours. Can make a cup of tea, get some snacks. I feel like I have turned a small corner. I am being honest when I say this recovery does get better but is not for the faint of heart. Everyone is different and will have their own journey. I have gotten so much good information from this site. It is awesome.

Sounds like you’re doing well, @Bunnyhead . I would walk my small home anytime I got up to use the restroom. Somehow made it seem not such a huge deal instead of doing a walk itself, at least in my mind!

Marie

Last edited:
Just a little update...had my LTKR..8/10/22 16 days ago. Started physical therapy 8/15, things are going well there they do not push me my rom is good I am not sure what the numbers mean but 1 was 0...and one 120. I have had minimal pain but am still taking Tylenol and oxycodone occasionally. I am also still wearing the white compression socks which my doctor wants me to wear for 4 weeks. Cannot wait to take them off. I am still using the walker don't feel enough support with just the cane. The one problem is constipation....it is hit or miss one day ok....next day not. I take the stool softeners, eat prunes and drink apple or prune juice.

For less than a month out, your numbers are out of this world! Most don't achieve that ROM until 3-4 months out. Just be careful to not overdo it. If you do, you'll swell and your numbers will worsen.

For less than a month out, your numbers are out of this world! Most don't achieve that ROM until 3-4 months out. Just be careful to not overdo it. If you do, you'll swell and your numbers will worsen.
Thank you for the advice.

19 days out from tlkr...swelling is good, pain not bad, only taking Tylenol now. I feel lucky that my recovery seems to be going well......but I need to vent. I am going stir crazy and I am tired of icing and propping my leg up. Sorry, but anyone else feel this way?

@Bunnyhead i feel you, icing and elevating was not my favourite but it really is needed for the first 4 weeks if not longer.

So I am 22 days out from surgery TLKR and doing pretty good.. Than this morning do something stupid. Sitting on the sofa .....I drop a pill under the sofa...not even thinking get down on both knees get pilland than realize what I am doing. So I get up check everything out ...looks ok. I go to PT a few hours later and tell them ...they look at knee and says it looks ok but watch for any swelling or oozing of incision. And we only did a few of my usual exercises. They ask me how I got up and I told them I just got up....they said we'll thats impressive. I just hope I didn't do any damage.

Oh, that must have hurt, @Bunnyhead! In a way I'd almost take that as a sign of how well you're progressing, that you weren't "even thinking" about the operated knee. But I know (at one month today) that I've overdone it when my knee felt good, then regretted it later when it became stiffer and more swollen. Hope it doesn't feel too bad tomorrow!

So I am one month out from my ltkr surgery today. I have seen many recovery stories on here and some are really problematic. So far I feel fortunate that mine has been pretty good. I had surgery 8/10/22 I came home same day. I have done everything my doctor and PT has told me to do. I have had minimal swelling.....I ice and elevate frequently. I have had minimal pain....and I take a pain pill when needed. I gave up the walker and am now using a cane. I guess I just want to let anyone contemplating this surgery and reading all this information that not everyone has a bad or really horrible experience. Now, I have had good days and bad days and it is a journey but just giving my perspective on it.

I love hearing a positive post like yours! I lot of people come here because they are having problems. Reading your post to one contemplating having a replacement is sure to encourage them.

I found BoneSmart around 6 months before my tkr shortly after having a scope and the doctor telling my friend I needed a replacement. I studied long and hard, searching out many different OSs, and lots of praying. Finally, when I couldn't ride my bike anymore I knew it was time. I went through a few months of pain and discomfort, but I don't remember ever regretting having it done. It's not perfect, but SO much better than it was!

5 weeks out and had my PT Therapy evaluation on Wednesday. Everything looked good my rom was 125. Very pleased with that. Not gonna say it's all been a picnic...but getting there.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom